Alaska Garden, 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska Garden, 2020

This Spring way different from last year's in the Mat/Su area. For several reasons.
    Colder, more snow , Frost seems deeper.
    AND
    "Hunkering down ". Though I haven't noticed too much difference here.
    Typical::: April Sucks in Alaska ,

Got my onion sets in the garden today, from Jacobsons . (Though it's pretty muddy in the garden)
    Cleaned the GH, some soap bleach water.
    Heat tape on in the GH beds, soil temp 68°, added some new soil.
    Put in 2 tomatoes , One 4th July, 1 Early Girl I got from old John.

Mark at Mid Valley GH has good price on Pro mix, $52. And tons of plants ready for the GH.

I've got everything I needed to start indoors started on the new grow light shelf system.
    Onion seeds got planted first and they're 4" tall already. Growing some new varieties this year. The Elsa Craig are the ones I'm really excited for.
    Everything else appears to be doing well also.
    Got 3 weeks minimum before I can plant anything here. Still lots of snow in my backyard in the Soldotna area.
    My rhubarb plants I started from seed are way too tall already and growing like crazy.
    I've got to get the soil for my new greenhouse ordered up.
    Planning a couple of new raised beds. One for carrots and one for beans that will also get the garlic this fall as part of the garlic rotation.
    I've got the perlite and the bone meal for the carrot bed just need the lumber.
    Me and a friend decided on pelleted carrot seed this year and split an order of those so I've got 500 each of Bolero and Hercules seeds.
    It will be my first year growing in a greenhouse and first time growing tomatoes.
    Also doing bell peppers and cucumber in the greenhouse.
    The new drip system for the greenhouse is in.
    I'm excited to see how my corn does outside again this year in my low tunnels.
    I can't wait for garden season to get where I can plant things in the ground.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

"The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

I won’t be putting in my garden until the end of May, as I’m at about 2,800 feet elevation in the Mat-Su. I have most of my seed potatoes for my purple and red varieties from last year, but I did go out and get new Yukon Gold seed potatoes this weekend. I can’t wait!
      I am the one who has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to. - Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Although the 91 degree daytime high in the GH was very encouraging, the 29 degree night time low has the opposite effect on me. My starts are just going to have to set in the south window until I can safely heat the GH at night... Maybe by the end of the week... If not I'll need to find another south window for the cuke starts...

Comment

Potted up 2 Zuks, gonna be a bit before
          go into garden

Comment

Toms showing signs they like the
            GH & long sunny days
            Might be time to put in a few more

Comment

Onion sets are in.
              They seem to handle cold well,
              maybe like tulip bulbs.

Comment

Sweet success cucs popping thru
                GH soil boxes this AM.
                PS:was able to get a haircut, At Hilda’s

Comment

Onion sets putting down roots .

was 27° last night. Set all look good.

Comment

I’m anxious to start planting the garden
                    But
                    was 29° for low temp last night
                    And
                    soil temp 5” deep was 34° this am.
                    patience Dave, patience

Comment

Found this In the garden while I
                      was mixing compost into the raised beds..

Wonder why dandelions grow so well,
                      this small one had a 12” tap root .

Comment

My garlic I planted last fall appears to be doing well.
                        Can't wait to try eating my own garlic.
                        And the scapes are supposedly delicious as well.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

Comment

New carrot bed built and planted.<br/>~ 1200 seeds planted in it. Mostly pelleted seeds of Hercules and Bolero.<br/>New raised bed for green beans planted. One row contender one row provider.<br/>Main garden is all planted. OS cross Cabbages broccoli, zucchini, winter squash, corn.<br/>Old garden planted as well. 2 rows peas early frosty and 2 rows Alaska. Kholrabi, golden acre cabbage, a Napa style cabbage, red cabbage and more broccoli plus a row of green beans as I had extra.<br/>Lettuce bed is planted with seed tape.<br/>Planted 2- 1/2 drums of radishes.<br/>Garlic and onions looking good.<br/>10- 1/2 drums of potatoes 3 different varieties.<br/>Greenhouse is built and planted with cukes, tomatoes, and peppers.<br/>Got the drip system up and running as well.<br/>Fence is up by my fencer is kaput. Hopefully get it replaced soon.<br/>Probably a few things I forgot but it's all in for now <br/><br/>Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk<br/><br/>

Comment

Few shots of how stuffs doing. Could be a tad warmer but were tickled so far.
                            some say organics a joke, we dont agree.

Comment

Greenhouse doing well as well.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X