Fun with Fermenting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun with Fermenting

I'm pretty new to this although when I was a kid, Mom did a lot of it. Very easy to do. Great for gut health. Lots of free info/recipes on youtube and the net, in general. You don't need these fancy schmancy air locks but they do make fermenting even safer/easier. Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0001 (23).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	2517122Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0003 (15).jpg
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	2517123

So far, I've done several incarnations of sauerkraut, brussel sprouts, eggs, carrots, honey infused garlic, sweet and hot peppers and okra.Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0003 (18).jpg
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	2501995Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0001 (24).jpg
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	2501996
    The sockeye gravlox is more of a cure than a ferment....love that stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Garyak View Post
      So far, I've done several incarnations of sauerkraut, brussel sprouts, eggs, carrots, honey infused garlic, sweet and hot peppers and okra.[ATTACH=CONFIG]98359[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]98360[/ATTACH]
      The sockeye gravlox is more of a cure than a ferment....love that stuff!
      Had to look up "Gravlax" as I'd never heard of it before. Sounds good except don't really like the processed sugar part. I guess a guy could substitute it with coconut sugar or organic cane sugar? I've had pickled salmon before which I really like but this is quite a bit different. I may have to give it a try as it sounds good.
      Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Sugar and I are not best friends, but its a big part of this deal. I generally do 70/30% sugar to salt. Tried a different recipe for that pictured. 50/50 salt/sugar. WAY too salt forward. Freshened it overnight in 1/2 gallon filtered and got lucky...came out perfect for my taste. Some folks like to add juniper berries and/or some spruce needles, etc. I like to dust my fish with white pepper before I add my sugar, salt and dill.

Comment

I bought a Mason tops fermentation kit this year.
          Made pickled Zucchini in them.
          They seem to work well.
          For my sauerkraut I prefer the old stoneware crock.
          Made 4 gallons of sauerkraut this year so the jars just weren't going to cut it.
          I now have a 2 gallon and a 4 gallon Crocks, lids, and weight sets.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
          "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
          Working...
          X