Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green House Cucumbers:

Since I have to grow cucs in a Green House here. Next year I plan on trying
    parthenocarpic cucumbers:: (seedless, no pollination needed)
    Sweet Success is on the top of the list so far, Camilla a close 2nd.
    I spend time every day searching out females & pollenating,
    Am getting to be a good pollinator but I alway miss a few females
    or sometimes have no male blooms for pollen.
    This year I'm growing a (beta alpha) Gynoecious variety ( produce mostly female flowers) with 2 normal monoecious variety for male blooms (& fewer females) for a pollinator.

Beta-Alpha: (mostly females )

Pollinator: mostly males (but a few females)

mudbuddy, Sweet Success is a great choice,easy to grow and they grow like gangbusters. For my cukes I have a peice of concrete mesh hanging up above my plants and they like to climb . It is a lot easier than tying them up as they grow. I have mine in the center of the green house and the tomatos along the sides. It makes it easy to get to both sides on the cukes.

Comment

The seedless that don't need to be pollinated were bred to be grown in greenhouses for that reason. I have a new favorite cucumber. It is the Metki dark green serpent melon. It is an Armenian mellon that taste like the best cucumber I have ever tasted. It has a thin skin that does not get bitter. They can be picked small for pickling, or let to grow large for slicing. They can grow to be over 3 feet long but are best when picked under 18 inches. The biggest I have let one grow is 2 feet and it was still good. The vines are very prolific and take to trellising easily. If you don't mind pollinating something, it might be worth it to try. I like these better than the english cucumbers. I direct seeded mine 60 days ago and they have already sold me. I'll be growing them from now on.

It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
      Working...
      X