Just got 6 chickens!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    whats crazy is we leave our plastic food bin with a cover on it right by the coop. We have had bears come through our yard multiple times and walk right by it and not even try to open it. We had a bird feeder on our deck and the bear went up the deck reached up to the gutter and grabbed the bird feeder but didnt take a second look at the 40 pounds of feed in the bin by the coop. Only thing that has ever got into the bin was a moose last winter that had its way with a bunch of cracked corn and feed. We also picked up 5 turkeys this spring and are going to be harvesting them this november. Those things grow so fast compared to the chickens.
    I had a moose get into and knock over a bin of scratch grains this winter as well as knock the lid off of my chicken feed.<br/>Putting a bungee cord on the lid to my main chicken feed can has kept them out of it.<br/>They are the biggest problem in my yard getting into the garden, nibbling on my apple trees, and now getting into my chicken feed!<br/>One year they ate the leaves off of over 50 rhubarb plants in my yard. I think I've got the fence around my big garden to the point where the fencer stays on and the moose can't get through it without getting zapped. I had to replace a couple gfcis this year because they kept tripping off with the badazz fencer I bought.<br/>I had woven wire fencing around my apple trees but they pushed in on it so they could just reach the tops of my young trees. <br/>Going to have to look at adding more fencing for that this year.<br/>My dad gave me half a box of rubber buckshot to Haze the moose out of my yard. But that didn't last long and now I can't get anymore due to the ammo shortages.<br/>Though I did just fix my potato gun so I guess I can use that on the moose again if need be.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

We also picked up 5 turkeys this spring and are going to be harvesting them this november. Those things grow so fast compared to the chickens.
      If you got the broadbreasted variety you might want to plan on harvesting them before November or they won't fit in your oven and will fill up a large chest freezer.
      I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

Moose killed two of my apple trees, I had planted and rodent took one by eatin the bark off all the way around the bottom of another, so Im done with apple trees, that's a lot of money down the drain! I wrap my trees normally, but got yo it late last year and that was all she wrote! Still have 2 left but one, I was told it is a crab apple tree, has never flowered and the other was just planted this summer

Comment

Originally posted by Patsfan54 View Post

If you got the broadbreasted variety you might want to plan on harvesting them before November or they won't fit in your oven and will fill up a large chest freezer.
          thanks for the heads up. they are broadbreasted bronze i believe. they are pretty big already. First time we have done turkeys so its been a little bit of a learning curve.

I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
          but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

For those who raise meat chickens or turkeys how to you go about freezing them after they are plucked and gutted? Giant vaccume sealer bags?<br/><br/>Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk<br/><br/>
            I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
            but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

thanks for the heads up. they are broadbreasted bronze i believe. they are pretty big already. First time we have done turkeys so its been a little bit of a learning curve.
              4-5 months should be plenty depending on if it's a hen or tom and the feed, unless you want a bigger than normal dinner. If you turn the meat into turkey burger then keep feeding them, but at some point a big tom is too much to handle. You probably don't want to deal with butchering five turkeys at once anyways so take a midsize one and see if it's the size you want and adjust accordingly. A yard bird Thanksgiving is a special treat, best tasting turkey I've ever had.
              I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

For those who raise meat chickens or turkeys how to you go about freezing them after they are plucked and gutted? Giant vaccume sealer bags?<br/><br/>Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk<br/><br/>
                We wrap ours in plastic and butcher paper, same as all the other meat.

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

<br/><br/>
                  For those who raise meat chickens or turkeys how to you go about freezing them after they are plucked and gutted? Giant vaccume sealer bags?Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                  They make shrink wrap bags just for this purpose. I'll post an Amazon link to give you an idea of what you're looking for. These may not be the best deal just an example. A quick dip in hot water will shrink these bags tight around the cleaned/plucked bird. I also can some of my chickens in jars layered with veggies and broth for homemade chicken soup.<br/>Especially if I'm butchering older laying hens and I know they're going to be tough.<br/>https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0895LRJQF...WB0RQ2ZAW09XSD
                  "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X