Just got 6 chickens!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got 6 chickens!

Now I have to build a chicken coop, thinking to do a insulated 4X4 around 6-7 ft tall......what size do you normally make the nests? I am planning on making two nests, since that is all the people who I got them from had for about 15 chickens. I'll have an area out front of the coop for them to be outside, probably 4X8 area with half covered......any other ideas? I may make the coop a little bigger so I can store the feed in it..

Nest boxes 10x10 should be fine. Put a landing bar in the front of the nesting boxes so they can land on the bar first, then hop in. Can be just a 1x2 wooden bar.
    4 x 4 coop seems a little small for 6 full size chickens, especially since they tend to hole up more in the winter. You will have a stinky crowded coop come January, which brings its own set of problems.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I did decide to go with a 5X5 coop, with a door to clean it out and I plan on making a little closet to store the food. I used 2X6's for the floor and 2X4's for the walls, will insulate all around, thinking of putting a window in too.

Comment

Consider you'll need room for a waterer and feeder in there, roosts, and nest boxes...
        You'll also want power for a water heater and a light.
        ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
        I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
        The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Consider predators too. People over here have had chickens and ducks but they usually end up as animal feed.

Patriot Life Member NRA
          Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
          Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

I use a 18 gal rubber tote an lid with a hole cut in it or 5gal buckets. I have 9 chicken in each coop and a half pallett for a roost

Comment

Originally posted by ak rob View Post
              I use a 18 gal rubber tote an lid with a hole cut in it or 5gal buckets. I have 9 chicken in each coop and a half pallett for a roost
              Are you using them as feeders to put the pellets in? how do you keep them from falling out? The chickens won't over eat?

I have a typical waterer and the chickens keep pooping in it! How do you stop that?

Comment

I use the 18gal totes and 5 gal bucket as nesting boxs, for water i use 1 gal bucket, for feed i made feeders out of pvc pipe and a y fitting

Comment

There lot of YouTube videos on pvc pipe feeder, chicken tractor too.

Comment

Originally posted by msta999 View Post

Are you using them as feeders to put the pellets in? how do you keep them from falling out? The chickens won't over eat?

I have a typical waterer and the chickens keep pooping in it! How do you stop that?
                    Chickens won't overeat. We use a hanging feeder and keep it filled. You'll never completely prevent them crapping in the waterer, but elevating it 6 or 8 inches above the floor helps a lot to keep it clean a lot longer.

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Originally posted by msta999 View Post

chicken nipples! Work great! I have a heated water bucket with chicken nipples installed. Plugged in during the winter, unplug in the summer. Chickens learn real quick how to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by greyinggrayling View Post

chicken nipples! Work great! I have a heated water bucket with chicken nipples installed. Plugged in during the winter, unplug in the summer. Chickens learn real quick how to use it.
                        Is this the hanging type? I see several types on Amazon, I'll stop by the local feed store and see what they have.

Comment

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
                          Consider you'll need room for a waterer and feeder in there, roosts, and nest boxes...
                          You'll also want power for a water heater and a light.
                          I did put an outlet in, figured one plug for a heated waterer and one for a heat lamp......now I'm thinking I should install a light switch for a light......

Comment

Originally posted by ak rob View Post
                            I use the 18gal totes and 5 gal bucket as nesting boxs, for water i use 1 gal bucket, for feed i made feeders out of pvc pipe and a y fitting
                            I built nests, which hang on the outside of the coop, I plan on insulating them with 1 inch Styrofoam. The feeder that came with the chickens was made out of PCV 4 inch pipe, which I have to fill about every day and a half, thinking of going bigger so it will last longer.

Comment

I'm almost done with my coop, I have to insulate it and put in some kind of paneling on the inside to cover the insulation. any recommendations for paneling on the inside, that isn't too pricey? I couldn't believe how much siding was! it has gone way up! and when I put insulation in the floor joists, when should I use to cover the bottom? I am also planning on putting in some kind of laminated flooring, to cover the particle board and make it easier to clean out.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X