Anyone raising icelandic sheep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone raising icelandic sheep?

I'm hearing great things about these guys for our climate and they have the trifecta (good wool, milk and meat). Any info anyone wants to share would be greatly appreciated and anyone know of breeders in the state?

Mountaintrekker

Well I might be able to help ya, I live in Iceland and my in laws are sheep farmers
    "i am so smart, I am so smart, s-m-r-t.... I mean s-m-A-r-t."

Comment

Originally posted by BlackRam View Post
      Well I might be able to help ya, I live in Iceland and my in laws are sheep farmers
      I'm not a big fan of lamb that you buy in the store, but I love Dall sheep meat. Wonder how the Icelandic sheep compares?
      Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

I have liked what I have seen of Icelandics when shopping online a few years ago, but back then I couldn't find anyone that actually milked them AND had a whole herd regularly tested negative for OPP, CL, Johne's, etc.

Comment

I found an Icelandic shepherd in Palmer. I'll be acquiring three or four lambs this spring. I've seen them before, but that was when I was raising Suffolks, which are larger, meat animals. Icelandics are much smaller.

Comment

Bobnick,
            Can you PM me the info on the place in Palmer? I sure would like a place to start from.

Thanks,

Mountaintrekker

Comment

I don't think I can PM on this forum. I guess I'm too new. But here's the ad in Alaska's List:

http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/14_Fa...dic_Lambs.html

Comment

don't know how dale taste, but the lamb we have here dosn't have that wooltaste so common in domestic sheep. Maybe because we dont feed them on grain?
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Sumar2011 332.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	2483778
                "i am so smart, I am so smart, s-m-r-t.... I mean s-m-A-r-t."

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                Working...
                X