Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bring my chickens or buy there?

Hi all,

I'm thinking about relocating to Anchorage from Oregon this next summer for work. I have had 3 laying hens since this past spring, and they are doing a great job giving me about an egg/ day for each bird. They are barred rocks. Do you have any advice on bringing them up with me on the ferry or on the alcan?

Probably easiest to get new birds up there, but it would be cool to bring my girls up with me.

Thanks for any input!

By all mean bring your girls, i suggest fried. LOL

Comment

There is good chickens to be had up here. Also its not a big deal or expensive to ship chicks up from a hatchery.

Comment

Originally posted by Rutting Moose View Post
        By all mean bring your girls, i suggest fried. LOL
        Ha! I can't justify bringing up fried meat!

Comment

Originally posted by rimfirematt View Post
          There is good chickens to be had up here. Also its not a big deal or expensive to ship chicks up from a hatchery.
          thanks, rimfire!

Saw some other posts on here about obtaining birds there. Probably stupid to bring mine up.

How do you like eagle river? Been looking at property up that way.

Comment

Originally posted by salmonid View Post
            How do you like eagle river? Been looking at property up that way.
            I don't have any sage advice to give on chickens, but I was born and raised in Eagle River and love it. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to give you my take on things.

Comment

I really like Eagle river. The people out here are easy going and its a little bit slower pace. If your are going to work in anchorage, eagle river is a nice place to come home too.

Comment

Might want to see if chickens are even allowed in Anchorage. I seem to remember someone getting in trouble for having them in the city limits unless there in a freezer or frying pan. There is a great bird guy in the valley I believe it Anthony at triple R or something like that.
                Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Comment

I'd leave your birds behind. If you got them this past spring by next fall they will be entering their first molt. Their egg production will really go down hill during and after that molt. Chickens are allowed in Anchorage but there are restrictions on how many you can have and NO roosters. Anthony out at Triple D went out of business last year but there are still plenty of yard birds to be had. Check out Craigslist, Alaskaslist and if your on facebook there is a group called Alaska farm and food, there is always someone with birds available.
                  Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
                  Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Comment

Thanks everybody!

You guys have a good friendly forum, I will give my birds to a friend and start fresh up there. Hope things work out with the job opportunity!

btw, Ak Bird brain: Nice sig! So true..

Comment

Smart move to leave the birds there you will have enough to do in getting up here with out having to deal with feeding and watering chickens. Good Luck on the move and job.

Comment

Be easier to get new ones when you're here. I'm hoping to be hatching soon!
                        If it can be made from fur, I can make it!!
                        Custom hats, mittens & more from your fur or mine!
                        www.alaskaspiritcrafts.com

Comment

I don't know the details about birds, but another thing to consider would be the possibility of transporting illness with the chickens. It is always a risk when relocating any kind of animals/birds from one region to another. Probably best to get "local" stock when you get up here to minimize chance of transmitting bugs that the birds up here are not immune to.

Comment

Is there a certain breed of chicken that does better in Alaska for egg laying than another.

Thanks Samson

Comment

Originally posted by samson View Post
                              Is there a certain breed of chicken that does better in Alaska for egg laying than another.

Thanks Samson
                              Not really by my experience. Good layers are generally good layers. Characteristics such as ability to handle the cold are things that matter though. Feathered feet don't work so well, as birds are closed up more in winter months and conditions can get damp. Breeds with very compact combs resist frostbite damage. Robust, well feathered, all around breeds such as Orpingtons are my choice, but people keep all kinds of breeds here.
                              ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                              I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                              The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X