Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is good reading, by accident I did the right thing, I got the insulation up in the roof, but did not have the time to put up the tongue and grove, so I put up Tyvek to hold the insulation, then next trip I put up the tongue and grove right over the Tyvek, there is 10" R34 insulation above the Tyvek 2" airspace, then 1/2" plywood, tar paper and then roofing. It should keep the moisture in the right place.

Comment

Originally posted by gerberman View Post
      This is good reading, by accident I did the right thing, I got the insulation up in the roof, but did not have the time to put up the tongue and grove, so I put up Tyvek to hold the insulation, then next trip I put up the tongue and grove right over the Tyvek, there is 10" R34 insulation above the Tyvek 2" airspace, then 1/2" plywood, tar paper and then roofing. It should keep the moisture in the right place.
      I don't think tyvek is a vapor barrier. It is used to wrap the outside of houses to keep out air infiltration but visqueen is still needed for a moisture barrier. Some one correct me if I'm wrong.
      When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
      '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"
      2018 12' Moto Jet "River Pup"

Comment

Tyvek

This is what DuPont says about it
        DuPont™ Tyvek® HomeWrap®

DuPont™ Tyvek® HomeWrap® delivers the optimum balance of properties for superior performance against the elements. Our house wraps help prevent outside water from entering the walls and help to seal the home to keep outside air where it belongs. DuPont™ Tyvek® HomeWrap® helps reduce homeowner energy bill because homes stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter and dry all year round.

I hope it works as they say it should, Thank You for making me research it.

Comment

Nope Tyvef is not a vapor barrier. Its like gortex for your house. Its made to keep the wind from blowing in but let any moister there may be pass through. Plastic sheeting works and aluminum is best. Thats why some foam sheets have a foil side.

Comment

Originally posted by power drifter View Post
            Nope Tyvef is not a vapor barrier. Its like gortex for your house. Its made to keep the wind from blowing in but let any moister there may be pass through. Plastic sheeting works and aluminum is best. Thats why some foam sheets have a foil side.
            Agreed! And it is also good to tape the staple lines and seams of the visqueen.
            I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
            Bill Hicks

Comment

Tyvek has a perm rating of 58 vs. a perm rating of .4 for 6 mil visqueen. Quite a big difference. I won't say that you WILL have a problem Gerberman, but I just finished supplying new drywall and insulation for a house that did the same thing as you. Also delivered a bunch of bleach to kill the mold and 5 gallons of Kilz to seal the whole thing. If your place is primarily a summer residence you shouldn't have an issue. If you are living there longterm in the winter you are going to need to keep an eye on things.
              Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
              Working...
              X