Talkeetna area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talkeetna area

Anyone have anything to say good or bad about the Talkeetna area in general? All the usual things, weather, hunting, fishing, access, trails, people (locals and tourist), etc.

We've never spent any time down there but are considering looking at property/cabins in that area.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I think it's a nice place to call home. People are friendly and have a live and let live attitude. There's a sense of community to that you'd expect in small community living.

I've got a cabin in town, and a place up the tracks.

Summer time can get crowded with tourists, but it isn't that bad. There's peak times that I avoid "downtown," but that (tourists) tapers off later in the day.

We've got a new grocery store at the intersection of the Parks and the Spur which is really nice to have.

A decent hardware store. Just kidding Doug!!!! It's a good hardware store with a good proprietor.

There's some good activities in town. Movies, plays, bingo at the VFW and other cultural things to do. There's classes to, from yoga, to basket weaving to?????

Fishing isn't bad, and hunting isn't bad. I'm hearing there are some big brownies out and about the area in a couple of spots.

Oh yeah, looks like we're getting a new restaurant and micro brewery too.

Comment

Originally posted by upstream View Post
      Now your speakin my language!! I'll hafta keep my eyes open to that when I'm in and out of town.
      We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Comment

The people in Talkeetna and Trapper Creek are very nice. They smile at you even if your a stranger. I have never met a rude local. Unlike where im at now....and where I wont be for long.
        If its tourist season.....Can we shoot em??
        Simple pleasures for simple minds

Comment

Allow me to play realator?

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=48852

Comment

I welcome all new prospective land buyers I'm going to need all the customers I can get in the future.

There's a thread in General asking about whether you'd move to get work. Well, I'd never move from here. I like it that much. Talkeetna is my home and I love it here.
            Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. I appreciate it.
              A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Comment

It's not a bad place to build a home if you can get the hardware store guy to give you a break on the price of building material. I am plugging for you Doug.

Comment

Stopped there twice in 2007. Friendly people good fishing.
                  www.MarkandChrisLundin.com

Comment

IMO - Lots of great Alaskan personalities with pretty big hearts. Actually, alot of diversity in terrain. At times the skeeters can be troublesome.

Check all property before buying. Some really wet areas in some places.
                    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
                    Bill Hicks

Comment

It's a neat area, and we almost bought a sweet 10 acre lot with several hundred feet of stream frontage several years back. Unfortunately a lot across the street had garbage streen over their entire 10 acres.

Make sure you inspect the property after breakup, and surrounding properties.
                      Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. We're headed down to look around in a few weeks

Comment

It's a beautiful place to visit. We go up that way often.

We are forced not to talk to anyone. Pretty sure our "orientation" would come out and possibly cause problems.

This article:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1169748/posts

indicates the attitude of at least some of the residents.

But then I'm sure there are other nice folks there also.

Comment

I thought for sure when I read it that it had to be an "Alternate LifeStyle" float.....not that there's anything wrong with it.

They threw rocks at a Republican Float, now that is concerning.
                            www.MarkandChrisLundin.com

Comment

Originally posted by upstream View Post
                              Might not be getting that , I heard they tested the water the other day and is was very high in arsenic so it is a no go.( And that is city water.) I love tourist !!! They give me a 8 month vacation
                              PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X