Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wood stove

seems like there are endless options of wood stoves. I dont know anything about them and trying to learn some stuff on which ones are quality and why they are quality. We are looking to get a wood stove for the house for supplemental heat. Live in eagle river so lots of different places available to have it installed. The original owners of the house had the stack and piping put in when it was built, they just never had a stove installed. North country stoves in eagle river sells lopis. Any one have any experience with them? from the little research i have done seems like everyone likes blaze kings. The Lopi Answer which north country said would fit our needs appears to be close the the same price is a blaze king sirocco 20.2. I dont really like to buy the cheapest things and would rather cry a little once. If were going to be burning a few times a week or on the weeknds i am not sure if its necessary to get a higher end stove or not. north country is coming over this week to see if the stack and piping is good to go so i got some time to figure out which way to go with this. Anyone have any suggestions?
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Can't speak from direct experience, but my "neighbor" at the cabin up the Matanuska (he's about 3-4 miles away from my off the road place) has a Blaze King Princess. Way oversized for his place but he uses it for his only source of heat and uses his place all year....including several times over the years where winter temps have been -25 or colder. As long as I've known him (going on 30 years now), he's had a Blaze King, although the current Princess maybe has only been in place the last 10? 15? years.

I guess..... just a plug for Blaze King from a once-removed perspective.

Comment

99% of reviews i have seen about blaze kings are good. I would be looking at one of their smaller stoves since it wont be the primary heat source and it will be in our living room in a corner. Thanks for the info on that!

Comment

Whatever you decide, don't scrimp on the safety of the installation parts. Braces for the pipe, clamps for the triple wall pipe joints, heat shields.... With our earthquake prone state I believe you have to take extra precautions.

Patriot Life Member NRA
        Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
        Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Blaze king or Lopi
          I had a chimney cleaning and install business in Colorado for 20+ years. I’ve installed and cleaned hundreds of Lopi & blaze king stoves. They were both equally quality stoves… for me I’ve always been more partial to the Lopi over Blaze king line of stoves. The two main points, stay away from a catalytic converter stove and don’t look at a stove is merely secondary heat but look at the size of the stove in the event that you have to heat the entire space.
          sigpic
          Sweepint
          Wasilla,
          '' Livn' The Dream ''
          26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Comment

I have had really good luck with the Pacific Energy stoves. I've owned the Alderlea T5 for 8-10 years. It's a non cat stove and you get the advantages of a plate steel stove and cast iron.

Comment

I have a Blaze King Princess at the cabin and could not be happier. It allows for longer logs and holds quite a bit. I love that I can go to bed and sleep the night through and wake up to plenty of embers or wood. Being able to adjust the stove to burn hotter or cooler as needed took some learning. At first I kept a roaring fire the would have to open windows below zero because it heats so well. Once I learned how to use the adjustment knob once things warmed up- it has been great. Is it more than we need- absolutely. But I would buy it all over again. The folks at AK Fireplace in Wasilla were super helpful and nice to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by sweepint View Post
                Blaze king or Lopi
                I had a chimney cleaning and install business in Colorado for 20+ years. I’ve installed and cleaned hundreds of Lopi & blaze king stoves. They were both equally quality stoves… for me I’ve always been more partial to the Lopi over Blaze king line of stoves. The two main points, stay away from a catalytic converter stove and don’t look at a stove is merely secondary heat but look at the size of the stove in the event that you have to heat the entire space.
                Aren't most or all of the blaze kings cat stoves?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I really think that you won’t go wrong with any of the quality made stoves. Certain features might catch your eye like looks, door swing direction, enamel coatings, and load direction. Meaning filling the box with wood going across or n/s loading where logs go straight in.

Comment

Originally posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
                    Aren't most or all of the blaze kings cat stoves?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                    Current models, yes. Older models, no.

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Originally posted by kobuk View Post
                      I really think that you won’t go wrong with any of the quality made stoves. Certain features might catch your eye like looks, door swing direction, enamel coatings, and load direction. Meaning filling the box with wood going across or n/s loading where logs go straight in.
                      Door opening matters a lot to me. Even though mine has front glass doors it also has an end door. I find it much easier to load from the end and not have to worry about any coals running across the floor.

Patriot Life Member NRA
                      Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                      Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

I agree with door swing and I love the north south loading too for coals and I can stuff a lot more wood in there too.

Comment

Kwackkillincrew,

You are correct in that there are many options for wood stoves. I bought a Canadian built Osburn wood stove insert to replace our homes’ 1980’s fireplace. The stove heats very well, and doesn’t use a ton of logs to get ripping. I don’t think I use 10 pieces of wood for an all day fire in February temperatures.I live in Chugiak, so this is also a supplementary source of heat, but with the rising price of natural gas I will use it more as a primary source this year! It shipped to Anchorage, was installed by Northeat I believe. Total cost around $4000 installed.
                          Good luck!

Comment

I installed a Heartstone three years ago, Last year I replaced it with a Blaze King. What a difference this stove made in heating my house. Less wood consumed, easier to regulate the heat, and more importantly, oh so warm.

Comment

I have two things I own that I cannot say one bad thing about. I own dozens of other things that I can say many bad things about. The two items I cannot seem to negatively critique is our AO 12x12 tent with vestibule and our Blaze King, King Model Ultra. Bought the King when we built our house in 2008. Our house is 34x30 and two stories, open design and 3/4 loft. The Blaze King heats the house effeciently. W supplement with a Toyo but really it only goes on when it is -30 or colder. I blow through wood when its cold, but the only cost for that is some fuel and time. We go through 5-6 cords each winter. The stove will hold a fire easily for 8-10 hours when fully loaded and dialed back to 35-50% on the draft. The catalyst needs to be replaced every 4-5 years, however you can usually get one "cleaning" out of it. The stoves do require good, dry, clean wood. In the past I've owned or used a hearth stone, vermont castings, and quadra fire. In my opinion the Blaze King beats them all

Comment

Footer Ad Module 300 x 300

Collapse

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X