Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Material Hauling Services MatSu Region

Hi Everyone,

I've been making solo trips to Alaska for backpacking/fishing/hunting, etc the last few years (and use this site quite often for info) and was finally able to purchase a small chunk of land in the MatSu region about a mile off of the Tal river on a small lake. Looking to possibly build a small cabin at some point over the next year or two and would need to have a few tools, some materials(not a lot), and maybe a couple of husky buddies transported out there. I used one of the flight services out of Anchorage a couple of weeks ago to go check it out and they were great, and I'll be using them in the future but I figured it'd be best to research all available hauling options before putting a plan together.

We used a Piper PA-12 to check it out and they said that anything larger loaded with any substantial weight might be difficult to fly in and out of the lake with. I've been told in passing that some people will haul gear with jet boats up the Tal to that region, and that there are also hauling services via snowmobiles in the winter, but I haven't been able to find much info online, and I'm not back out there to knock on doors again until this fall. I was also told about a barge that hauls gear into Skwentna. I was thinking maybe I could get stuff hauled via the river from there...

Does anyone have any experience with different hauling services in that area? I'm not too familiar with that river, but plan on spending some time exploring it this fall. I don't mind hiking some stuff in off of the river if it's more feasible and any cheaper.

Thanks!

-Chris

Sounds like you are on Cub Lake? The best way is in the winter, you can get your stuff hauled up there from Deshka Landing right to your building site. Adam Gabrysak at 907 315 1772 has a freight service and is the best. I also haul on the lower Susitna but leave the hard jobs up to the young ones. If he can't do it he knows someone who can. Did you charter with Trail Ridge Air because are the best around!

Comment

Hi Alexander,

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely reach out to him once I have a better idea of what I'll need hauled. It's actually on Star lake (it seems there are two with this name?). This is the one off the north tip of Beluga Mountain. I've wanted to be farther north for years but found this neat little area and a good high and dry parcel there and figured it was now or never if I was ever going to pull the trigger. Yes it was Trail Ridge Air and they were definitely top notch. Extremely friendly, and informative to someone who wasn't too familiar with that area.

Comment

Ok, I've been to Star lake, retrieved a wreaked Cub there once. There should be a trail from there to the Tal for some world class fishing!

Comment

Originally posted by alexander View Post
          Ok, I've been to Star lake, retrieved a wreaked Cub there once. There should be a trail from there to the Tal for some world class fishing!
          Do you remember the first time we were at Star lake? And all the fun we had getting there?
          Tom

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post

Do you remember the first time we were at Star lake? And all the fun we had getting there?
            Tom
            Oh yeah! Even though it was hard it sure was fun exploring! I couldn't believe I talked myself into going down that gorge into the Tal! we should just go and ride over there some spring for the fun of it. Last time I was there I choppered in two days in a row standing in a knee deep swamp all day with skeeters folding up a wrecked Cub for the chopper to sling out. It was more fun on the sno gos for sure!

Comment

You might also want to contact Talvista Lodge and pick their brains on options.

Comment

Originally posted by NRick View Post
                You might also want to contact Talvista Lodge and pick their brains on options.
                Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

Comment

Contact Ken Lee or Adam Gaberzyck st Deshka Landing. Its what they do.<br/>Bk<br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  BK Marine Services 232-6399
                  Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
                  Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
                  Www.bkmarineservices.com

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X