Power To An Outbuilding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power To An Outbuilding

I am hoping for some advice. I have an outbuilding that is 95 feet from my cabin. It is a conex with a roof added sitting on donage. It is wired for lights and outlets that are used for a battery maintainer and sometimes block heaters for my compact tractor. Right now I use a 100 ft extension cord from an outside outlet to my shed. I want to bury a cable and thats where I'm hoping some of you could pitch in. Originally I was thinking of running a feeder to the shed but after I just releveled my shed I am now thinking of running a feeder to a post next to my shed with a weatherproof outlet and then use an extension cord from there to the shed because of all of the movement. I think I would like to use pvc conduit so I could change the wire if things change in the future. My cabin is wired with an extra breaker so if I ever built a garage, so I'm set up on the outside. I don't know what gauge of wire I will need to run that distance and also what do you think of the post idea? Thanks

Assuming a 20 A breaker, for a 5% voltage drop used 10 Ga. Is the building going to be GFI proteded and have a ground rod? Are you no the grid?

Comment

I am on the grid. I was thinking of just using a 20A breaker because it seems to be fine with how I am using it now. I guess if I use big enough conduit that I could go larger later or maybe step up to a 30A breaker and use the round plugs for my cord. Not really sure if that would get me much though. I wasn't sure on the ground rod either, I guess it wouldn' be hard to drive one in at my post.

Comment

Originally posted by kobuk View Post
        I am on the grid. I was thinking of just using a 20A breaker because it seems to be fine with how I am using it now. I guess if I use big enough conduit that I could go larger later or maybe step up to a 30A breaker and use the round plugs for my cord. Not really sure if that would get me much though. I wasn't sure on the ground rod either, I guess it wouldn' be hard to drive one in at my post.
        Not knowing what your future plans are I would run 2- 10 Ga. cables. That would give you 2- 120V for a total of 40A or a 240 V @ 20 A.

The ground rod and the GFI is to keep someone from not getting hurt. “how hard it is” is not a option, for me.

Comment

Thank you for pitching in. It sounds like you must be an electrician and I apreciate your advice. What do you think would be a good option for the weatherproof outlet box? I'm wanting something that will work with a cord left plugged in. The ones I installed on the outside of my cabin have a clearish plastic cover that seems to do a pretty good job but doesn't seem very HD. Also, what size of conduit do you think I'll need? I was originally thinking 1" but maybe go up a bit?

Comment

I’m not a License electrician, I do all my own electrical work and have troubleshooted electrical problems for clients. Giving advice on the size of wire is one thing. Knowing what you need to run a service between building, .... I can’t help, Sorry. Grainger or a local electrical supply house can help with the weatherproof outlet box .

Instead of using conduit I would look into useing underground cable.

Talk to the local electrical building inspector. They can send you information on how to do it.

Comment

I was at Home Depot looking at tools and decided to see what they have for electrical fitting.

From what I could see they have everything you need, conduit, non-metallic conduit, PVC and Direct Burial 10-3 UF-B, and Weatherproof boxed.

Good Luck

Comment

Hey, thanks!

Comment

I would run a bigger conduit just in case you want to up grade. I did 1.5 inch conduit to my barn at 100' with 220 amp. wire and there is still room just in case I need to pull it or add to it some day.

Comment

Okay, good tip on the conduit size.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X