Who else has a Sauna?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who else has a Sauna?

I don't have one at my cabin. I have a shower there. At home I have a 12x16 wood fired sauna. Just fired it up tonight. Very relaxing. Barrel stove with a water tank on top. Cedar benches. Sheeted inside with rough cut spruce. Lots of steam.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Don’t have one here in Homer but did have one (electric) during our time in Dillingham. During our eight years there I enjoyed many steams in the river villages of the region.

Well, “enjoyed” came after some experience. As a Gussak newcomer I was first treated to obligatory “white meat tonight” village steams during overnight stays, in which with great courtesy the door was opened for you to be first in, so you seated yourself furthest from the door (and closest to the barrel stove), after which the locals came in, with the last seated on the floor in front of the door which was now the exit.

Then the water hit the rocks, youbetcha.

Yeah. The novice white meat finally had to bolt, and to the merriment of all he was allowed his exit.

But persistence won respect, and my re-entry after a brief recovery was awarded with a seat near the exit, and good vibes and equal seating opportunity thereafter.

Loved those people and those years. Never knew what temps those village steams might have been but I did find 221F to be my go to temp in that electric sauna at home. 180F if I was just relaxing.

Comment

With all the steam, 140-180 is good at mine. Sometimes higher, but can't stay in as long when it hits 200.

Comment

Originally posted by CinANC View Post
        As a Gussak newcomer
        I have not heard that word since I left the villages as a teacher.

Patriot Life Member NRA
        Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
        Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

I've been wanting to build one for some time. A little hard to justify the cost to how much i think it would get used. I would like a wood fired sauna and ideally a rinse off/ changing area.

Comment

Album showing my sauna build
            https://photos.app.goo.gl/ks1xhwtGEGzGo6Zr5

https://goo.gl/photos/dSTmM8xLcEkh1wZ3A

https://goo.gl/photos/dULrvKpkfUGLtBdc8

Last edited by kk alaska; 04-05-2021, 19:55.

Comment

Originally posted by kobuk View Post
              I've been wanting to build one for some time. A little hard to justify the cost to how much i think it would get used. I would like a wood fired sauna and ideally a rinse off/ changing area.
              I rinse off and change right in my sauna. Close off the stove, and open the door to allow it to cool off while I do my thing. I usually soap and then rinse, then just put on a bathrobe to get back to the house.

Comment

Comment

My parents have an electric one in their basement.<br/>Every Saturday night is sauna night.<br/>My dad's plan is to build a wood fired one at the cabin this summer.<br/>Being my mom is 100% Finnish and my dad is over 50% it's in my blood to take a sauna.<br/><br/>Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk<br/><br/>
                  "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X