X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jubilation
    replied
    Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    That's interesting! I have what sounds like the same range, but as far as I know mine won't let gas flow to the oven without electricity. What process do you use to get your oven lit and keep it going?
    Jeez- sorry. I just saw the msg you left.I can tell you gthe exact model- as I'm at camp, but if we don't have power- we just turn on the gas & use a lighter. The igniter works fabulous when we have power on.

Leave a comment:

• hunter1951
    replied
    Originally posted by dkwarthog View Post
    To each his own, we had a 300$ Home Depot special back when you could buy a non electric oven and it lasted for 15 years and worked fine. Way less impressed with this $800 Unique, and the place we bought it in Anchorage was a pain in the ass to deal with when we wanted to get parts. Hope you have better luck with yours!
    I agree with the older models ours has lasted many years and still mostly works to this date, unfortunately the oven temp prob stoped working and the range is so old it just is not available anymore I have researched to the point I am ready to buy a new range. And yes the price of the unique is high but less then the 30 inch premier by over 200.00 we
    looked at them and the build quality was just not there for us. There should have been a screw under the oven knob so you could turn the knob to match the oven temp, sometimes that screw is hidden, also know that it seems all of them have certain problems the service department is going to unpack and repack and ck everything out including the oven temperature before I pick it up.

Leave a comment:

• dkwarthog
    replied
    To each his own, we had a 300$ Home Depot special back when you could buy a non electric oven and it lasted for 15 years and worked fine. Way less impressed with this $800 Unique, and the place we bought it in Anchorage was a pain in the ass to deal with when we wanted to get parts. Hope you have better luck with yours!

Leave a comment:

• hunter1951
    replied
    Originally posted by dkwarthog View Post
    We bought one of those Unique non electric stoves.It is overpriced for the quality in my opinion. We have had to replace the oven gas control knob, after fixing it myself a number of times. It has some good features, i.e. the burner grates are nice and the top is sealed so it’s easier to clean. We find that the oven does not get hot enough for some things that we would bake, The temperature setting does not seem very accurate,and we’ve had issues with the oven burner going off in the middle of baking something.
    well I guess the other option is to buy a cheap one that does not work, in my case every unique product that I have bought in the past has been high quality and I have never experienced a problem. That is interesting about the not hot enough to bake certain items since the temp goes up to 450 degrees, also if the oven does not match the the knob numbers there is a simple adjustment to fix that, unique does not use the spark ignition to relight the oven when needed it uses a pilot lite to relite and maintain the temp in the oven. Honestly the other ranges we looked at were complete junk and had reviews in the 3’s out of 5
    Last edited by hunter1951; 01-16-2021, 15:48.

Leave a comment:

• dkwarthog
    replied
    We bought one of those Unique non electric stoves.It is overpriced for the quality in my opinion. We have had to replace the oven gas control knob, after fixing it myself a number of times. It has some good features, i.e. the burner grates are nice and the top is sealed so it’s easier to clean. We find that the oven does not get hot enough for some things that we would bake, The temperature setting does not seem very accurate,and we’ve had issues with the oven burner going off in the middle of baking something.

Leave a comment:

• hunter1951
    replied
    Originally posted by NRick View Post

Not saying you are wrong, but why would it need so much power to light off a flame?
    well I am not always perfect, the igniter will be running anytime the oven is asking for heat it is used to keep the gas valve open so yes that is a huge draw,

17-18 amps at 24 volts to power the glow ignitor in a oven.

around 4 amps at 120 volts at 450-500 watts

Leave a comment:

• NRick
    replied
    Originally posted by hunter1951 View Post

the electronic ignition can draw about 800 watts not a good option
    Not saying you are wrong, but why would it need so much power to light off a flame?

Leave a comment:

• bkmail
    replied
    Originally posted by ChugiakTinkerer View Post
    That camp stove looks like a decent substitute, certainly more attractive than the two-burner camp cooker I presently use.<br/><br/>I'm looking into setting up a solar install at our place, and am pondering whether the battery start is needed.
    <br/><br/>It is. Otherwise your solar will be on and inverting constantly which will make a hum as the unit is working. If no plug in, it will be quiet in the cabin. As no inverter will be working.<br/>Bk<br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• hunter1951
    replied
    Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post

Yeah I'm liking the look of this model. I might buy it.
    this is the one I am looking at buying, it has battery ignition. Super good quality stove/oven

Click image for larger version

Name:	DD7FA4DF-4870-4FAD-B0D4-E2EE59D889B4.jpeg
Views:	132
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	2765964
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Bushwhack Jack
    replied
    Originally posted by bkmail View Post
    Any thoughts on the smaller oven/cooktop setup that camp chef makes for $225-ish?! Just a thought.<br/>Bk<br/><br/>https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/camp...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Yeah I'm liking the look of this model. I might buy it.

Leave a comment:

• ChugiakTinkerer
    replied
    That camp stove looks like a decent substitute, certainly more attractive than the two-burner camp cooker I presently use.

I'm looking into setting up a solar install at our place, and am pondering whether the battery start is needed.

Leave a comment:

• bkmail
    replied
    Any thoughts on the smaller oven/cooktop setup that camp chef makes for $225-ish?! Just a thought.<br/>Bk<br/><br/>https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/camp...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Leave a comment:

• hunter1951
    replied
    I bought a Hotpoint from Lowes just over a year ago in Wasilla. It was around $500 and I had to special order it. There were no options and no window in the door either. Color is white, works perfectly.<br/>Bk<br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    that is the one I originally wanted to buy, unfortunately as I posted earlier GE/Hotpoint no longer offers that off grid model I even called and tried to order one from them or find out who might have
    a hold over

Leave a comment:

• hunter1951
    replied
    I bought a Hotpoint from Lowes just over a year ago in Wasilla. It was around $500 and I had to special order it. There were no options and no window in the door either. Color is white, works perfectly.<br/>Bk<br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hotpoint/GE no longer offer that model or any other off grid battery ignition stove, or yes I may have gone that way

Leave a comment:

• hunter1951
    replied
    Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
    If you can’t get the stove you want with battery ignition. Why can’t you use a inverter to power the stove?

the electronic ignition can draw about 800 watts not a good option

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X