(4) FOUR Bears Killed near Mauling.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (4) FOUR Bears Killed near Mauling.

I have been telling members of this forum that this area is crawling with bears. They are regularly in my yard and buildings.

So F&G has Killed Four Bears near the mauling location.

https://www.ktuu.com/2020/08/06/fish...uling-in-hope/

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (KTUU) - After a fatal bear mauling in Hope took the life of 46-year-old Daniel Schilling, the Alaska Department of Fish and Game has killed four bears in an effort to identify the one involved in the attack.

Hair samples in the initial investigation pointed to a female brown bear but Fish and Game said further samples from female brown and black bears were found at the attack site and on the victim.

The department has now killed one female brown bear and three female black bears near the location of the mauling. The samples will be analyzed against DNA samples collected at the site to determine if any of the killed bears match the one from the attack.
    ************************************************** ***************************************
    If anyone knew Dan Schilling, the service is this Saturday in Hope, Alaska

"Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

My "GUESS" is.......only a "Guess"........that they also terminated several cubs. But that is best not not spoken of, for fear of upsetting the public.

Comment

I remember the flaming outrage by the members of this forum, about someone culling local (Sunrise City) bears for decades, and dumping them in Six Mile Creek.

Comment

1970' HOPE ROAD CHARGING Bear recount........just one of a few hundred.

Oh' The stories I could tell.....
        Some of you must know Lance T. former head of Habitat at Alaska F&G. In about 70' three of us were engaged in unofficial Porcupine control. Back then there were thousands of porcupines, I don't know why. I shot 74 in 60 days that summer. (In case you are prone to being judgmental, save it.....I don't care).

So we were shooting porky-pines between Los Anchorage and lovely Hope, Alaska. It was about 11:PM mid-May and the last, or nearly last light. We were on the rough "Dirt" road that was the Hope Road. Roughly mile 9'ish. We saw a large'ish Black Bear cross the road, and we pulled up and stopped at the spot.

Now Lance and the other guy both had .22 LR pistols only, for executing Porky-pines. I had a Winchester model 100 in .308 Win. w/ a tip-off scope. (Those tip-off mounts were popular back fifty years ago)

So we are all on the passenger's side of the truck, and we are listening to this God awful crying and thrashing just fifteen or twenty feet away. It went on and on, and we figured that it was a sow spanking and driving cubs up a tree.

It was almost dark, and we could hear the crashing coming to us, In one heart beat a bear busted out of the dark woods/alders/willows from about six or eight feet, coming straight a Lance T. With out thinking From the hip I shot the bear as it was with-in a foot or two of Lance T. The bear turned and went 180* the way it had come, back into the dark woods.

Now all Hell broke-out 15 feet away, crying and thrashing, and crashing, and it is now dark-dark. The story is getting long, so I'll wrap it up. I tipped off the scope, went in after the wounded bear (Which was hit center behind the shoulder). I skillfully missed the badly wounded bear three times form 12 feet with iron sights. The bear was just thrashing around NOT coming at me. I eventually flipped the scope back up, and could clearly see the bear and finished it.

OK, This is what is educational. There were NO bear cubs. The first thing I encountered on entering the woods was a day old moose calf that had a bite in the small of the back and very alive but paralyzed. Next at about 10 feet was the wounded bear thrashing around, and a P!zzed'off cow that was about 12 feet away and lurching at the bear. The calf was crying, the cow was exhaling hard, and the bear was flopping around and crying also.

We figured that what happened is that we had not seen the cow and calf cross the road, only the bear right behind. And after the bear bit the calf in the small of the back, the cow charged the bear, and the bear retreating from the cow ran straight at Lance T. The bear was trapped between the truck and the cow. Wow I am exhausted. "Oh' but the stores I could tell"........

Comment

I have yet to really comprehend going out and shooting bears randomly in hopes of finding the bear that was involved. I understand it in a situation where there is a problem bear, but in an isolated incident (presumed) like this, I don’t understand the “shoot em til you find em” mentality.
          it is horrible what happened, and I do not mean to trivialize it. However, we live in Alaska knowing we will have bear encounters. And folks who live remote, or off the beaten path, live even more with the understanding that they stand a chance of mauling or death. I don’t see the point in taking random bears that have not been a problem (presumed).
          I am open to being educated on the matter, so anyone please feel free to discuss.

Comment

Originally posted by greyinggrayling View Post
            I have yet to really comprehend going out and shooting bears randomly in hopes of finding the bear that was involved. I understand it in a situation where there is a problem bear, but in an isolated incident (presumed) like this, I don’t understand the “shoot em til you find em” mentality.
            it is horrible what happened, and I do not mean to trivialize it. However, we live in Alaska knowing we will have bear encounters. And folks who live remote, or off the beaten path, live even more with the understanding that they stand a chance of mauling or death. I don’t see the point in taking random bears that have not been a problem (presumed).
            I am open to being educated on the matter, so anyone please feel free to discuss.
            I think it is more of a public relations thing. People expect some action by officials. And this is the cheapest and quickest. Setting up live trap is expensive and results of moving bears to new locations has turned out to be a massive failure. Just two years ago they live trapped five Anchorage Black Bears, a few weeks later thay had to kill those same bears in downtown Hope, Alaska........very near where they released them.

Plus if they do NOTHING and another person or child in Sunrise, Alaska is mauled, it does not look good for F&G that they took no action to mitigate the situation. News outlets start calling for a new head of F&G. It really is a no win situation for F&G. Best would be if hunters harvested more bears here, in this area.
            Last edited by AGL4now; 08-06-2020, 18:47.

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post

I think it is more of a public relations thing. People expect some action by officials. And this is the cheapest and quickest. Setting up live trap is expensive and results of moving bears to new locations has turned out to be a massive failure. Just two years ago they live trapped five Anchorage Black Bears, a few weeks later thay had to kill those same bears in downtown Hope, Alaska........very near where they released them.

Plus if they do NOTHING and another person or child in Sunrise, Alaska is mauled, it does not look good for F&G that they took no action to mitigate the situation. News outlets start calling for a new head of F&G. It really is a no win situation for F&G. Best would be if hunters harvested more bears here, in this area.
              Yes, that bear relocation fiasco hopefully ended the practice of moving bears to other populated areas.
              I’m game to come help thin the bear population in your area. Are they on pinks right now? When do they head back up the mountains?

Comment

Originally posted by greyinggrayling View Post
                I read they had snares set at the site. Perhaps the 4 bears that have been killed were all killed at the site.
                At least 2 man-eaters were killed on site in the Timothy Treadwell incident if I recall.

Comment

We need more bear hunters.
                  Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

If it wasn't such a long drive, I would be more than happy to oblige.

Comment

Open question since the memories fade...."back in the day", which means the 60's when I was growing up in Anchorage, I don't recall that a bear mauling kicked off an attempt to eradicate even the "at-fault" bear. Maybe it did and wasn't publicized as well as today.

...any recollection that is more reliable than mine?

Comment

Shoot and release. Since F&G won't let us thin the herd.
                        Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X