Sand point well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sand point well

I'm going to install a sand point well. Curious what experience/advice others might have. The soil seems perfect for it sandy river delta. I'm on a bluff so thinking I will locate well at lower elevation closer to creek to avoid having to pound through more soil. Any tips, tricks or suggestions appreciated.

What area are you talking about ?

Comment

Dig down with an excavator or extendahoe. Set a culvert on end. Not much driving after that.
      Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

We do a lot of them down here in Nebraska to dewater wet job sites( we build concrete box culverts). We use a 20' piece of 1.5" or 2" steel pipe with a 3" trash pump attached to the top and jet your hole in then drop your well point in with pipe attached and gravel pack the point., We usually have an excavator or a crane around to handle the jet pipe but I imagine a person could build some sort of a tripod to handle it.

Comment

Works well in sandy soils and small cobbles. Get the correct couplings, pipe, and a drive cap. 1-1/4Ē is about as big of one as you want to hand drive. 5í sections of pipe. Plenty of tru blu thread sealant is your friend. Tighten the heck out of it with at least 2 24ís as the connections often times get loose when driving. Stop when you see water in the case. If you have an idea how deep the water is thatís very helpful. Finding it blind can be frustrating without drilling and examining the cuttings. Depending on your water they do build minerals on the point. Usually the less you use them the less life youíll get out of one.

Comment

Kinda depends on how deep you need to go and how you plan to drive it. Can be a big pain or not bad at all. Like anything else I guess.......lol.
            Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

It's close to a tidal river/creek in Bristol Bay.. Access by boat only so going to hand drive it. Bought the 1-1/4 sand point. When we dug the outhouse hole it was pure sand easiest cleanest digging I've ever done. Not sure how deep that goes though.

Comment

Sounds like it's worth a try for sure. I drove one in next to a little eddy off a lake. I had to drive it by hand in an enclosed shack and didn't even have room enough for a full swing. That said, it was sand and small gravel and I only had to go down about 10' before I hit water. Do as gbflyer above says and you should be good to go. Before you start do your "Indian/pray for no big rocks" dance, and swing away! Good luck, and let us know how it came out.
                Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                Working...
                X