post pics of yours

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Attention Alaska Artisans and Product Manufacturers!

If you are an Alaska-based Artisan, Crafstman, Author, or Product Manufacturer, or any local business offering products available for sale, we welcome you to add a listing to the AOS Directory. Basic listings are free, and include a summary of your business, physical address, 1 photo and an email address.
Paid listings are being offered through a special promotion: $150/year includes a Featured Directory listing, a link to your website, phone number, email address and a forum welcome announcement linked to your directory listing. We look forward to presenting Alaska products to our audience! Please send an email message to customerservice@alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com if you would like to submit your listing or receive additional information.
Click arrow in top right corner for next announcement.
See more
See less
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bork,
    Nice place! Beautiful views! I see lots of time in it. Did you do the work? Thanks!

Mike
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Comment

Mike,
      We did all the work, and it was wonderful! The entire building process is here if you want to see it!

http://www.alaskaantlerworks.com/Alaska_cabin.htm
      Alaska Antler Works

Comment

Very Nice-I see electric lights,are you on the grid?

Comment

Nope...we just have a generator if we need it. Mostly we use candles and oil lamps.
          Alaska Antler Works

Comment

Bork, I've enjoyed your website and watching the progress on your cabin.

I've enjoyed your hunting chronicles too.

Comment

cabin in sterling

built this one last summer 2007, got it done by july 20th it was a fun project,
              20 ft x 24 ft with a half loft.
              http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...5-235x1611.jpg

http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...t=cabin010.jpg

http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...t=cabin009.jpg

http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...t=cabin014.jpg

http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...t=cabin011.jpg

http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...t=cabin012.jpg
              When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Comment

alaskacanoe

That is a very nice cabin that you built. If you would mind a few q's. How long did it take you to build it and how much did it cost you to build? Are you on or off the grid? How thick are the walls? What area of alaska is your cabin? Thanks for sharing your pics.
                Semper Fi and God Bless

Comment

Sterling Cabin

If you would mind a few q's. How long did it take you to build it and how much did it cost you to build? Are you on or off the grid? How thick are the walls? What area of alaska is your cabin? Thanks for sharing your pics.
                  I was working full time at my real job, so I had to work on it after I got home. I had good help though,, so that was a bonus.
                  it took 40 days. start to finish.
                  The building is framed on 2 x 6's on 16inch centers the rafters are 2x8's.
                  I insulated with R-19 and R-21. I also insulated the floor with 8 inches of bat.
                  The cabin is located on the Kenai peninsula in Sterling at mile post 84.
                  My wife totaled up the reciepts and said we spent $16 K and change.
                  This did not include the septic tank, I made a tank myself out of an old 1,000 gallon propane tank I bought for $75. I filled the propane tank with water and used my torch on it to open it up and put a baffle in and put the 4 inch openings for incoming and outgoing to leach field, and two holes on top so it can be pumped out.. welded it back up and set it myself. Because the cabin does not have clothes washer, it should be way more than enough septic . I found good gravel at 5 feet deep and I perk tested, I only needed 40 ft of drain field, so that was good.
                  I am on the grid. put in a 100 amp meter loop and a small breaker box in the cabin with 4 breakers.
                  I put propane on demand hot water heater and it works great, The kitchen stove is propane also.
                  for water I have a well that is 56 feet deep with plenty of draw. A 1/2 horse pump and small pressure tank do the trick.. the well cost was $35 per foot to drill and set casing. the pump was $250 and the pressure tank and controls anouther $150 bucks or so.
                  I could have drilled a well myself to about 35 feet and hit water, and then used a jet pump instead of going with a full blown down hole pump.
                  over at Dillingham I use a 3/4 hp jet pump on a shallow well and it works fine too,, .
                  Max

When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Comment

My first post and my cabin

It is great to see what other people are building. Heres my square log cabin. Still need to cover the porch.

Comment

I really like your eves wish I'd thought to use the clear polly bet that lets a lot more light in while still keeping you dry and snow free nice work

Comment

Originally posted by Bork View Post
                        Mike,
                        We did all the work, and it was wonderful! The entire building process is here if you want to see it!

http://www.alaskaantlerworks.com/Alaska_cabin.htm
                        I have taken the time to look at all your pictures!
                        Excellent work and quite impressive!
                        Lurker.

Comment

Originally posted by trappercreek View Post
                          Hey all first post. I've been working on this little weekend project for about a year now wish I'd found the forum sooner... Having a place to go to sure makes the work weeks go faster.
                          LOL, I found your cabin by mistake this past october, you run a argo right? My cabin is about 1.5 miles due south of yours. I went to look for grouse one night for diner and ran into your place, looked like I had just missed ya.

Curt

Comment

yep that would be my place the argo's a beast. Are you down on September lake then? My girl and I cruised down the ridge trail this weekend. The only time I'd been to the lake before was for the new years eve bash it was dark and I wasn't in any condition to notice how nice those places are.

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by trappercreek View Post
                              yep that would be my place the argo's a beast. Are you down on September lake then? My girl and I cruised down the ridge trail this weekend. The only time I'd been to the lake before was for the new years eve bash it was dark and I wasn't in any condition to notice how nice those places are.

Ben
                              You went right past my place if you made it to september lake. Yeah, the good old new years bash is a good one! Missed it this year do to our house getting robbed, but will be there next year! If you have a plat map of the subdivion, find sept lake and follow the creek north, you will see a feeder creek off to the right heading straigh north with 3 lakes in a row, I am on the middle lake. Hugo loop (my trail) hooks into the RIDGE TRAIL. If you know where "stafferd, francy, rick &sharron's" cabin's are, I am the next 2 lots north of them, 10acres all by it loansome. My best friend and co worker has a cabin on sept. lake, Shane.

I will be up there this coming weekend for 4-5 days (feb 15-19) if your going up would like to meet you and say hi.

Curt

Comment

lol as I was reading your post I was thinking gee you must be close to Rick and Stafferd. Guess I've been by your place several times. I seem to run into those guys pretty often. Don't know when you were last up but there is a real nice couple working on a place three lots to the North of you they've got the trail in nice hard and smooth up to hugo loop where you would head south. Our trail heads to the NW as you come out of the trees and get onto "autumn lake?" I'll let you know if we get up there this weekend I drive a black jeep so if it's in the lot you'll know I'm around. Look forward to meeting you

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X