X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunt'N'Photos
    replied
    Update on my cabin

For the most part I have just been clearing the land of deadfall and stumps, fixing little things that the previous owner didnt have time to, and things the builder screwed up prior to that. This past 2 weeks, however, I got a visit from my Mom and Dad from the lower 48. We spent 4 1/2 days of our "vacation" rebuilding a roof over the porch and then getting rid of that god awful cedar shingle roof in favor of a new tin roof.

The first day and a half was spent trying to figure out just what we were doing and putting the new roof over the porch.

Then it came time to start stripping the cedar off.

Yes that is a blue tarp under the shingles. It seams the builder ran out of tar paper and shingled right over the tarp he had over the roof during construction. I was not too pleased when I discovered this, but miraculously there was no water damage and the tarp had held up to this point.

I stripped it all off and used Ice and Water Shield for the first two runs and then 30# tar paper for the remainder. I should be good to go for the life of the cabin now! I heard from a few of the neighbors up there that the original owner had it out with the builder on money issues several times so some corners were cut. So far all I have found was that the windows and doors were never sealed, the floor was not insulated and the roof was scabbed together. That is the reason the side porch roof collapsed the winter before I purchased it. I made sure that will not be anything to worry about in the future!

Leave a comment:

• CaptNemo
    replied
    Got most of our T&G in, at least now were warm for hunting season! The doors and windows are boxed in with 2x12 AWW, anybody have an idea for what kind of trim to use? I appreciate any advice you might have. Thanks. CN

Leave a comment:

• Redhouse
    replied
    Hi Guys,

These buildings are all looking awsome

I have also set up a seperate thread:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...642#post315642

But I thought you'd be the people to ask if you knew of any new projects that yourselves, or anybody else, are starting in the next few months who, I might be able to talk to.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• DoubleDs
    replied
    Embarrassed... that thing is sweet!! Kinda reminds me of Cantwell... I hear there is good moose hunting up that way!;-)

Leave a comment:

• bkmail
    replied
    Our place

Here's our's, just replaced the front windows...

Leave a comment:

• jkb
    replied
    Alaska Lanche, to heck with the pink paint that is some nice looking country behind it.

Leave a comment:

• Magnum Man
    replied
    dimensions

what are length by width on cabin? thanks

Leave a comment:

• Alaska_Lanche
    replied
    Ok I'm a bit embarrassed to say this is my cabin but what the heck.

Notice the sweet pink trim:

Leave a comment:

• denalihunter
    replied
    Finally! The dream is realized!

Finally close the deal on some remote property. Had to share. This was my first weekend at the property since I took ownership. I have a lot of work ahead of me, but I will enjoy every minute of it!

Original cabin is around 400 sq ft, and in perfect shape. The larger building is 6300 sqft, and is about 75% complete. I'm going to try to finish up that part this summer. There is another cabin on the place also. 8 acres, around mile 72 of the Denali Highway.

I hope you guys don't mind me bombarding you with questions. I've lived and worked remote in Alaska much of my life, but not where everything is my responsibility.

The confusing stuff is the lodge came with new in box wind turbine, Whisper 3000, a 4 nozzle water turbine, and 8 solar panels, along with 24 of the heaviest batteries I've ever moved, which I did this weekend. They are about 3 feet tall, and over a 100 pounds. I may never be the same after moving them! So now, I gotta figure how all this stuff hooks together, and make me some power.

I would have rathered been able to build from scatch, but this is sure a good starting point.

Leave a comment:

• harterstaxidermy
    replied
    Man those are some nice Cabins, I wish i had the time to build one.....

Leave a comment:

• CaptNemo
    replied
    Bringing this thread back to life with some updated pictures of progress on our project, the closer it gets the more I cant wait! CN

Leave a comment:

• matsuthunder
    replied
    yup Life is good

Leave a comment:

• sunnyak
    replied
    My cabin

I can't seem to upload a pic that will work. However, My cabin was built by Tad Shortes (440-9785) and Mark Durkee (373-2088). They did a great job.

My dirt guy did a very poor job and I would not reccomment him. Double A Construction.
    All of his work is having to be redone.

Leave a comment:

• matsuthunder
    replied
    Finaly got my sink and cabanets done..

Leave a comment:

• mntransplant
    replied
    Skinny, thats an amazing pic!

Leave a comment:

Footer Ad Module 300 x 300

Collapse