Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"GROCERIES" shipped by U.S. MAIL....ANY Experience..?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yukon Cornelius
    replied
    Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
    If I remember the USPS has a weight limit......??? It was 70# back in 1970

Anyone know what it is today.
    Still 70 lbs

Leave a comment:

• AGL4now
    replied
    If I remember the USPS has a weight limit......??? It was 70# back in 1970

Anyone know what it is today.

Leave a comment:

• Amigo Will
    replied
    I have got the best deals buy just calling the company that makes the product you want.

Leave a comment:

• AGL4now
    replied
    I have also talked with VF GRACE about buying wholesale. But you have to have a storefront. This could work with a 20 foot shipping (CONNEX) container.

You might even form a CO-OP....

or a Church based store.

Leave a comment:

• Yukon Cornelius
    replied
    I would like to see a forum (Maybe not here, maybe elsewhere) that foods and grocery store "Stuff" appropriate for shipping is for sale. Kind of like shopping for #10 cans of MT. House food. Some companies will mix different cans of food in one case, and others only offer a case of all the same.

I get a thing called the "Bush Mailer" about every two weeks that offers some foods.
    don't do the bush mailer stuff. So far, we have found the regular Fred Meyer's, Walmart, and Three Bears as the most cost efficient.

I just placed an order yesterday from Fred Meyers.
    I will pay the same thing anyone else would pay. I get the same discounts using my rewards cards. I get charged 10% of my total bill which is their fee for their boxes, packing supplies, and labor. Then I will get charged shipping, which is a better rate than I get if I mailed myself.
    Boxes will arrive Friday or saturday.

So I save an hour of my time shopping (pay myself my hourly wage and the 10% fee is a great deal for me).
    I've price compared from these other places in the bush mailer. They have a mark-up on their products. Some of them charge 25%. I'll pass.
    Another good thing about the Fred's is that I can order however many I want. I don't have to buy cases. I can get anything that they sell in the store that I can legally ship (No alcohol, flameable products, meat, etc...) but I have gotten them to mail hotdogs and bacon. I accepted responsibility if they went bad.

Leave a comment:

• AGL4now
    replied
    I would like to see a forum (Maybe not here, maybe elsewhere) that foods and grocery store "Stuff" appropriate for shipping is for sale. Kind of like shopping for #10 cans of MT. House food. Some companies will mix different cans of food in one case, and others only offer a case of all the same.

I get a thing called the "Bush Mailer" about every two weeks that offers some foods.

Leave a comment:

• Yukon Cornelius
    replied
    Or the ask the wildlife trooper forum

I do like the idea of this thread as a sub forum. I really do. It is amazing how many people would benefit for it. When we moved up here, we had no idea what we were getting into. We moved straight from metro ATL to the bush.

Luckily a teacher reached out to us and walked us through the shipping. We also found an internet forum that helped.
    I reach out to all our new teachers, as well as new teachers to the state. AK is just different.

Leave a comment:

• tccak71
    replied
    Originally posted by tccak71 View Post
    Lol. Yeah, there aren't enough forums already. What? 200? We should strive for quality forums, not quantity.
    I'm taking about winner's like: AK surfing forum (10 threads) and AK Cruises (0 threads) and others. Non-sensical. The goal seems to be to get to 1,000 forums or something. World forum domination, or something to that effect.

No hijack intended though. Carry on!!

Leave a comment:

• AGL4now
    replied
    Yes, the other thing is that I need to sell the go to town "Tractor" (that gets 9.87 MPG) and buy a normal SUV that gets 23+ MPG.

Leave a comment:

• Yukon Cornelius
    replied
    I got to thinking about your fuel cost to go to the grocery store. One thing to consider is that your shipping costs will exceed your fuel cost. However, the positive is you don't have to drive, put wear and tear on your vehicle, or pack the stuff.

I called three bears this morning. They do the bush orders with no handling fees. Just pay for the goods and shipping.

Leave a comment:

• AGL4now
    replied
    Well.........The QUALITY is in the QUALITY of the members responses to thread subjects. If member's would aspire to start new and interesting threads, this would help a lot. The other factor in QUALITY of posts is.........the ankle biter's (Want'to-be) with LOW field experience keep taking cheap shots at men like Joe Want, till they just say, "To Hell with trying to help, if all you get is attacked".....

But let's face it, the majority of readers come to this and other hunting based forums, to read and look at photos in "SUCCESSFUL" hunt reports.

Sadly many live their life and their dreams vicariously through the success and adventures of the few.

Originally posted by tccak71 View Post
    Lol. Yeah, there aren't enough forums already. What? 200? We should strive for quality forums, not quantity.

Leave a comment:

• tccak71
    replied

NOTE to MIKE........this subject could be a wonderful "SUB-FORUM" with lots of interest.

Btw, I've only shipped USPS to/from Dillingham. Food, drinks, beer. Not cheap, but cheaper than buying goods in Dilly.

I've also have 'regular' Amazon (not prime) and have had camper tie downs shipped up for 'free shipping.'

Leave a comment:

• Music Man
    replied
    Amazon prime is a good deal! I just received my Christmas present (Hobart Handler 140 wire feed welder) free shipping, box said 70lbs.roud:

Leave a comment:

• Yukon Cornelius
    replied
    Wow........I see that this is an area that I want to learn everything that is learn-able about. I am accessible to the road system; However I loath the drive to the city in the winter, in the dark. It costs me about $105.00 round trip for fuel.

NOTE to MIKE........this subject could be a wonderful "SUB-FORUM" with lots of interest.
    If we lived on the road, we'd still do the inline shopping. I hate the crowds. I also hate spending time sitting in traffic. My sister lives in ATL area and she shops online with amazon.

I will ill say this about prime. The free shipping is not as abundant to is as it was three years ago. Not nearly as many items.

Leave a comment:

• Yukon Cornelius
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian M View Post
    I read recently about Amazon Prime being quite the steal for rural Alaska customers. Free shipping on everything - even to Bush Alaska - and there is a pretty amazing variety of goods available. The article talked about king size mattresses and even a log splitter being delivered for free.
    We use prime. Even get a small discount by having the renewable/subscription order. Our toilet paper and pear towels are set up this way. As well as pasta. There is variety, but there are things we just can't find. I'm curious about this king size mattress. We want to get a better mattress. Our district bought us two twin beds. We duct taped the frames together and bought a memory foam topper. It sucks.

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X