Deadman Lake, Alaska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deadman Lake, Alaska

Hello Everyone, I would like to Introduce Us.My name is Dan and my Wife is Tammy. We purchased 10 Acres by dead man lake (800' West to be exact) We would like to have any input that you may have about the area from Building a off grid cabin to everyday living with Farm animals in that area, we both are trained in survival and have grown up in the rocky mountains of colorado and wyoming, this is our passion and our dream to move there and fall off the face of the earth.

You are going to define the Deadman lake you are talking about as there are three (3 ) different ones ????

Comment

66 miles west of Fairbanks,5 miles North of Tanana River.

Comment

How big is the lake?

Comment

Deadman's over a mile in diameter. About 25 minutes west of FAI. Has winter trail access too.
          ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
          I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
          The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Hi Dan:

This is Tim, if you want to fall off the face you really need to get farther out than Deadman.

Here is more reading for you.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/alask...ar-manley.html
            Tim

Comment

The easy way to get material in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qA4eRllKLY
              Tim

Comment

I hate to be that guy, but you'd do well to search through older posts in this forum as there is a wealth of info on building remote cabins. As far as raising farm animals in cold country, you'll likely find that the cost of keeping them fed and warm offset's the benefit of farm stock.
                Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul H View Post
                  I hate to be that guy, but you'd do well to search through older posts in this forum as there is a wealth of info on building remote cabins. As far as raising farm animals in cold country, you'll likely find that the cost of keeping them fed and warm offset's the benefit of farm stock.
                  I agree! But that is too short for the board...
                  Tim

Comment

what is your idea on traveling over the river when its frozen by snowmobile or by boat during thaw

Comment

Originally posted by DGilbert1973 View Post
                      what is your idea on traveling over the river when its frozen by snowmobile or by boat during thaw
                      I flew out on Sunday there are still open spots in the river and I did not see any tracks on it yet. Usually by this time it is safe but I'm a bit Leary this year because of the high water this summer and the lack of cold so far this winter. Every year is different. Boats after the ice is gone!
                      Tim

Comment

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
                        About 25 minutes west of FAI.
                        That depends on what kind of airplane you are flying! :think:
                        Tim

Comment

Originally posted by DGilbert1973 View Post
                          Make sure it is frozen. Stay on trail. This is my third year in the bush. I didn't go out on the river until last year. This year I started to go out last weekend, but to many holes for me. Matter of fact there were three guys that went in down river (might have been kuskokwim though). Tracks were followed. Right into the hole. Sucks. During breakup or spring time, it gets dangerous. You really need to know the river. Kno,w where the sandbars are.

Comment

Originally posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
                            Make sure it is frozen. Stay on trail. This is my third year in the bush. I didn't go out on the river until last year. This year I started to go out last weekend, but to many holes for me. Matter of fact there were three guys that went in down river (might have been kuskokwim though). Tracks were followed. Right into the hole. Sucks. During breakup or spring time, it gets dangerous. You really need to know the river. Kno,w where the sandbars are.
                            The report is that they were drunk and it was at night, they were told not to go, cant fix stupid.
                            When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
                            '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"
                            2018 12' Moto Jet "River Pup"

Comment

Originally posted by Music Man View Post
                              The report is that they were drunk and it was at night, they were told not to go, cant fix stupid.
                              I'd heard there was probably drinking involved.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X