Basic "TRIGONOMETRY" Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic "TRIGONOMETRY" Question

What is the formula for calculating the long line (Diagonal) if one corner is 90 degrees...??? If the length (Height & Width) of two lines meeting at 90 degrees are both known.......what is the formula for calculating the third line.......???

Yes.......laying out footers.
    ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

4-5-6 method?

Comment

A squared plus B squared = C squared

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So if I take a "KNOWN" less5, less6............????

Originally posted by logman 49 View Post
        4-5-6 method?
        ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Comment

Are you looking to find the long side of a triangle and you know the other two lengths?

Comment

NO.......If the footing is to be "X" long (a Known) and "Y" wide (also a known) and if all corners are to be "Right-angle" (90*) how does one calculate the corner to corner length.

Comment

Basic "TRIGONOMETRY" Question

The 3, 4, 5 method is used for checking square. Are you trying to square footings for a rectangle or square? Take each side you know and multiply by itself, add the two numbers together and find the square root of them. Answer will be the diagonal length

Last edited by akriverunner; 06-06-2014, 11:23. Reason: add

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
                NO.......If the footing is to be "X" long (a Known) and "Y" wide (also a known) and if all corners are to be "Right-angle" (90*) how does one calculate the corner to corner length.
                This is a right angle triangle. From your description, you are trying to find the long side (hypotenuse) of the triangle when you know the two shorter sides (X and Y). Essentially, you know the two measurements for the sides of the "L" and are trying to find the measurement that connects the two ends?

If so, the equation given above is correct. The square of one length + the square of the next length = the square of what you are looking for. So, (X x X) + (Y x Y) = (C x C). You are looking for C, so once you get the first part of the equation solved, just get the square root and you have your answer.

Comment

Here you go:

http://www.algebra.com/calculators/g...ythagorean.mpl

Comment

So.....34 feet wide squared is 1,156

28 feet deep squared is 784

when added together equals 1930

Next question: what number when squared equals 1930......??? I miss my slide ruler.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

43.93176527297759 roughly.

Comment

Based on the link above, 44.05

Oh, it's 1940, not 1930

Comment

Next question: what number when squared equals 1930......??? I miss my slide ruler.

Thanks for the help.
                          If you are using a computer to post here, you most likely have a calculator program built in. For windows computers, it is under the start-more programs-accessories-calculator. Just enter the number you are wondering about such as "1930" and then click on the square root button (the one that looks a lot like a check mark).

Comment

Thanks for the help.
                            As colonel pointed out, 1156 + 784 = 1940....not 1930.

Comment

OK........So what number squared equals 1940.....???? Please

Originally posted by Frostbitten View Post
                              As colonel pointed out, 1156 + 784 = 1940....not 1930.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X