Super Dry forum, Here is a Question to Start Some Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Dry forum, Here is a Question to Start Some Talk

I am currently building a cabin off sunshine creek (near Talkeetna turn off). I don't want satellite TV or anything crazy, I just need Internet for school work and papers. I have been out there and 4G on a phone is very spotty at best. I was wondering what people are using out there for internet purposes. Any info would be great.

joe

Talk to the 4g people and ask if they can suggest a way to improve service like a outside beam antenna.

Comment

google sat internet. There must be more companies- but in SE Starband works. It involved having a dish mounted & the cheaper plan is like $50/month-

Comment

Yep, friends of mine out off Montana Creek are loving their satelite internet that they use for their business. I forget the name of the outfit they are using though.

Comment

I use Excede/Wildblue satellite internet and am happy with it.

Comment

I think Hughesnet still does internet. If MTA is available why not use them? I worked in telecom for 10 years (never for MTA) and I'm very happy with their service.

Comment

Originally posted by logman 49 View Post
              I use Excede/Wildblue satellite internet and am happy with it.
              Yes, that is the same outfit my friends are using and they like it very much.

Comment

What kind of internet are you used to? Sat internet sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
                  What kind of internet are you used to? Sat internet sucks.
                  All I need is something to do school work on so I don't have to head into town and turn in papers. I don't really have a good southeast view due to a massive bluff. That is why I wanted to do some type of antenna or something like that. Is there any ideas at all or do I need to go into town just to do school work?

Comment

Look into a Wilson cell booster and Yagi antenna, work great for areas that have low cell phone signal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jojomoose View Post
                      All I need is something to do school work on so I don't have to head into town and turn in papers. I don't really have a good southeast view due to a massive bluff. That is why I wanted to do some type of antenna or something like that. Is there any ideas at all or do I need to go into town just to do school work?
                      To be honest with you, you may have to. I live in a very remote location and I have the crappiest internet. The satellite coverage is worse than the GCI coverage I can get. It takes me about 30 minutes to buffer a YT video enough to watch it. However something like school work isn't the hardest. I can usually get a decent enough connection to submit something like a paper. If it is a PPT, movie or something similar then I am almost out of luck.

I have a direct line of sight to our tower too. The speeds are not what I am used to. I have gotten used to the slowness now and I adjusted how I use the internet as well. Heck I don't even get 2g where I am at. I ahve a smart phone that only works when connected to wifi or when I am in town.

Good Luck, but I totally recommend looking into different options.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X