No announcement yet.

Millwright/Mechanical FItter from Australia seeking Job Expression of Interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millwright/Mechanical FItter from Australia seeking Job Expression of Interest

HI,
    Just putting this out there for anyone who may see it or know someone and can direct them to this.

I am a Trade qualified (apprenticeship) Millwright/Industrial Mechanic.

Seeking a job and an Employer in AK that could sponsor me for my working visa, I am looking at migrating to AK.

My Australian Job qualifications "tickets" are:

Certificate iii in Engineering- Mechanical 4yr apprenticeship
    Forklift licence
    Elevated work platform licence (jlg boom lift)
    Basic Scaffolding licence
    Dogging licence (lifting with cranes licence)
    Confined space training ticket
    Working at heights Ticket
    Gas testing confined spaces ticket
    First Aid Certificate
    obviously have drivers licence too.

Difference between a ticket and a Licence in my country:
    Ticket= classroom training for a certificate, doesn't expire
    Licence= usually 4/5days classroom and practical training with an issued government licence for that type of work.
    I dont know what work related licences are required in Alaska, if anyone reading this could explain i would appreciate it very much.

I also have work experience with Rigging, but dont have my licence (chain blocks,lever hoists,chains,slings,pulleys,sheaves etc)

My experience;
    I am experienced with Manual and CNC lathe and mill machining

Welding Tig and Tig brazing Mig Stick/Arc, Oxy welding & brazing, Oxy cutting. can do all of these to a good level, not a professional welder/boilermaker though.

Pump and Gearbox repairs and servicing works- rebuids, seal changes, gland packings etc.
    Pump and gearbox installs- fitting pipework and pipe fitting/welding, bedding/bolting down, machining couplings/adapters,coupling alignments manual and Laser.

Structural steel- structural modifications and installs, basic fabrications/site fabrications.

Hydraulics- fault finding, hose and component replacements, servicing

Pnuematics, tuning, fault finding, component servicing/rebuilding

Conveyors-"mine type", roller replacements, PMs head drums alignments/tuning, head drum replacements, skirting, wear plates/hoppers, conveyor installs, greasing, etc
    Crushers, Hammer replacements, wear plates, single jaw crusher adjustments, chutes and hopper fixes

Pipefitting/process control- flange management, spool installs, spool checks/maintenance/fitting/painting, flange checks, flange torquing, valve installs/removals, valve rebuilds "basic", pipe installs and measuring, Boilermaker assistance (boilermaker helper), Removal of old sections/demolition and replacement.

Worked at- Power stations, Timber mills, Paper Mills, Mines, Steel mills, Smelters, Plastics plants, manufacturing plants and processing plants.

I like to learn new things, I am not afraid of responsibility and Dont care how dirty, cold, hot or hard the work is. yes I am from Australia, I grew up where it snows and I am happy to work outside in the snow/rain/mud/etc. Happy working shifts and doing 12hr days

I dont yet know what specific work regulations apply with regards to work safety, but I am happy to pay for and do my own training/licences if it means getting a job.

When I come to Alaska I will be buying my own 4x4 Truck and tools- welder, cutting torch, hand tools, pipe fitting tools, mechanic tools, measuring tools, boilermaker tools, some carpentry/construction stuff
    Allways buy my own tools if needed.

Hoping to find a good job with a Good Crew of guys most importantly

Would like to get experience on the oil and gas industry if I can, always heard really good things about it, but the industry is very very hard to get into in Australia.
    Looking at making the move next year (2021) Summer/Fall. Coming up a few months earlier to look for work/jobs and see the state.

Any comments on finding work/jobs and anything abut working in industry, any tips, any information that would be helpful I would appreciate too.**

Feel free to flick me a PM or Email
    dlmclaren000@gmail.com

Edited: **

We have refineries in Nikiski and platforms in Cook Inlet. Also many companies here hire for jobs on the North Slope. Perhaps the Natural Gas Pipeline and Processing facilities construction will happen in a time frame that works for you.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

FWIW....

- With your skill set, it wouldn't be too hard to find work, even if only on a temp or project basis in any normal year. With the COVID situation and reactions to it, there is less activity than normal, but still options if one is willing to look outside of the norm.
      - But, but, but...needing an employer sponsor for a visa is almost the kiss of death for jobs in the skilled trades sector. I'm surprised at how often it happens in the hospitality industry and at the senior executive ranks many companies will do what's needed to get the exec on the payroll, but in between it's almost a universal requirement to be "legally authorized to work" in the U.S. before being considered for a position.
      - It's more hoops to jump through and may not help in the end, but you might consider coming over on a different type of visa (student perhaps: take a couple courses at Northern Industrial Training) and see if you can get an in with an employer who, once they know the name and face, might be willing to sponsor you to get access to your skills.
      - ...and of course, flood the market with inquiries, CV, etc. Lots of enterprises are on the lookout for highly skilled and motivated people willing to work cheaper than average...if that's you, it MIGHT result in a sponsorship.

Comment

Originally posted by stillapa12drvr View Post
        FWIW....

- With your skill set, it wouldn't be too hard to find work, even if only on a temp or project basis in any normal year.
        needing an employer sponsor for a visa is almost the kiss of death for jobs in the skilled trades sector.

- ...and of course, flood the market with inquiries, CV, etc. Lots of enterprises are on the lookout for highly skilled and motivated people willing to work cheaper than average...if that's you, it MIGHT result in a sponsorship.
        I kinda already figured, from gut feeling that It would be hard to find sponsorship. I am confident though, just because the population there is low and so many people from the lower 48 do the yoyo and move back. of course I have to convnice them I am going to make it aswell....
        I think I am going to be in good stead coming over with enough money to make things comfortable.
        I am not fussy what industry or occupation I do in AK, its just about getting my ass on US soil. eventually when/if i get permanent residency/ citizenship, i should be fine.
        just put up my millwright stuff becuase that is my trade, If someone has other work I am not fussed.

Happy even if I had someone to sponsor me and it wasn't full-time or just seasonal work, I am happy to do contracting/ temp/ shutdown jobs in-between to make money. thats what I do in Australia. If I didn't have all the sponsorship/visa stuff to deal with, I would just save up and come over then start finding any work I could.

Thanks for letting me know about northern industrial training centre, very helpful for figuring out things and getting some training.
        I will give them a call in a few days to as some questions about work stuff etc...

Thanks
        -Dave

Comment

Not to be a Debby downer but here's another thing to consider.<br/>Most of your certs will not be valid here in AK.<br/>If your confined space is not OSHA approved you'll need to take a class here.<br/>For the north slope oilfields it must be NSTC and OSHA approved.<br/>Rigging is the same.<br/>Here in Prudhoe Bay the only accepted rigging card at this time is the NCCCO (national commission for the certification of crane operators) card level 1 or level 2.<br/>It's a US based commission so you'll have to pay for that and test out here if you need it for work.<br/>I tested for the paper portion of mine at the UAA testing center in Anchorage and did my practical on the slope with Bill Elmore of Alaska crane Consultants.<br/>It's a tough and serious course unlike some I've done in the past.<br/>Fortunately work paid for all of mine.<br/>Any of your Australian certs that are not OSHA(occupational safety and health administration) approved courses will be the same.<br/><br/>Just something for you to be thinking about.<br/><br/
          "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
            Not to be a Debby downer but here's another thing to consider.&lt;br/&gt;Most of your certs will not be valid here in AK. Any of your Australian certs that are not OSHA(occupational safety and health administration) approved courses will be the same........Just something for you to be thinking about.&lt;br/&gt;&lt;br/
            Thanks for the info, Any information and all information is helpful.
            I Kinda Figured I would have to do retraining for some if not all of my work stuff for US standards. I dont mind doing that at all. Happy to pay for and complete my own training. I mostly listed my certifications to give an understanding of my prior work history/capabilities. Also kind of shows my employer I have on the job experience.

kasilofchrisn, do you know if my Millwright/mechanic qualification would be useful in AK/US?

In Australia, you do not need any qualifications to be a Welder/boilermaker/industrial mechanic/millwright. They are only a prerequisite for the experience you should have gotten from completing your apprenticeship. Also Big companies/most companies require a qualification for Insurance purposes. The only trade you need to be legally qualified/certified for is Coded welding "pressure vessel".
            Just speaking for the industrial trades here, cant speak for all trades.
            Im thinking about putting aside about 10/15K for training and Skills. I want to be ready to hit the ground running for whoever might give me a job. I want to appeal to them and make it as easy as possible for them to employ me.

"The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots" Oh and I really like that one, its so true.

Comment

<br/><br/>
              Originally posted by davodownunder View Post
              <br/><br/>Thanks for the info, Any information and all information is helpful.<br/>I Kinda Figured I would have to do retraining for some if not all of my work stuff for US standards. I dont mind doing that at all. Happy to pay for and complete my own training. I mostly listed my certifications to give an understanding of my prior work history/capabilities. Also kind of shows my employer I have on the job experience.<br/><br/>kasilofchrisn, do you know if my Millwright/mechanic qualification would be useful in AK/US?<br/><br/>In Australia, you do not need any qualifications to be a Welder/boilermaker/industrial mechanic/millwright. They are only a prerequisite for the experience you should have gotten from completing your apprenticeship. Also Big companies/most companies require a qualification for Insurance purposes. The only trade you need to be legally qualified/certified for is Coded welding "pressure vessel".<br/>Just speaking for the industrial trades here, cant speak for all trades.<br/>Im thinking about putting aside about 10/15K for training and Skills. I want to be ready to hit the ground running for whoever might give me a job. I want to appeal to them and make it as easy as possible for them to employ me.<br/><br/><br/>"The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots" Oh and I really like that one, its so true.
              <br/><br/>Yes they would be useful normally.<br/>But at the moment I'm unaware of any jobs available in the skilled trades.<br/>Often times what Alaska can't produce employee wise can easily be found by hiring American citizens from the lower 48 states or contracting with companies down there for turnarounds and other short term projects.<br/>I work in the oil and gas industry and we've taken such a hit it will take years to recover.<br/>I doubt they are done with the layoffs either.<br/>I will likely find out July 1 if they keep my position here as a contractor when the new owners (Hilcorp) take over this oilfield.<br/>We just lost another 43 positions a couple days ago.<br/>Mostly a result of the Covid19 and what it did to our oil prices etc but also because of cutbacks due to new ownership of this field.<br/>This state relies so much on oil tax revenue and associated jobs in oil and gas that when prices are down all of AK is hurting.<br/>Welding of any kind in this industry will require a welding test.<br/>Most welders here are way above average even for certified professional welders.<br/>Pipe welds will all be x-rayed.<br/>Stick, mig, Tig, most welders here do a bit of all of those.<br/>Overall it's just a tough time here jobs wise in my industry due to what's going on with the covid 19 and the new owners of this field figuring out how they are going to run things.<br/>Lots of laid off Alaskans looking for work right now that would imho be hired before they hire a non citizen.<br/>I got lucky in that my parents were up here already when I moved up and both had decent jobs.<br/>So I had a roof and a hot meal regardless if I found work right away. <br/>Took me awhile to get my feet under me especially when the job I was offered before moving fell through.<br/>Sometimes who you know is as important as what you know when looking for work here.<br/><br/><br/><br/>Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk<br/><br/>
              "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
              Working...
              X