Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Officers please chime in

Hello,

I am moving in August with the wifey to Fairbanks. We have a Alaska fund with about 7k in it with no debt except car payments for her car and a little nest egg to fall back in. I volunteered for deployment to save up for Alaska which gave me that decent sized Alaska move fund. I am in the Army but will be ETS'ing this spring after 4 years of service. I have been accepted to UAF and will be using my GI Bill to go to school. I am interested in becoming a police officer after college. Yes I am going to wait till I get my degree before I want to be a full time Police Officer, because its always has been my dream to go to college and get a degree. I am very interested to do the Police reserves while I go to school in the area, but it seems like North Pole is the closest place with a reserve police program. I am wondering what a desirable degree is for hiring a new recruit in Alaska. I have contacted Anchorage police department and they mentioned that anything but a Criminal Justice degree is great plus my military service is a big plus. I am interested in small town police work and was seeing what would be a good road to follow. Any info and opinions are great. I have a few friends that are Police Officers in Washington and Oregon and they say stay away from Criminal Justice. Right now I'm in a Business Administration program, so idk if I should keep it or change majors to something else.

Originally posted by lancep51 View Post
    Hello,

I am moving in August with the wifey to Fairbanks. We have a Alaska fund with about 7k in it with no debt except car payments for her car and a little nest egg to fall back in. I volunteered for deployment to save up for Alaska which gave me that decent sized Alaska move fund. I am in the Army but will be ETS'ing this spring after 4 years of service. I have been accepted to UAF and will be using my GI Bill to go to school. I am interested in becoming a police officer after college. Yes I am going to wait till I get my degree before I want to be a full time Police Officer, because its always has been my dream to go to college and get a degree. I am very interested to do the Police reserves while I go to school in the area, but it seems like North Pole is the closest place with a reserve police program. I am wondering what a desirable degree is for hiring a new recruit in Alaska. I have contacted Anchorage police department and they mentioned that anything but a Criminal Justice degree is great plus my military service is a big plus. I am interested in small town police work and was seeing what would be a good road to follow. Any info and opinions are great. I have a few friends that are Police Officers in Washington and Oregon and they say stay away from Criminal Justice. Right now I'm in a Business Administration program, so idk if I should keep it or change majors to something else.
    Unless brings have changed since I wore a badge, a degree doesn't really help. The pay difference wasn't that much. Like less than a $1/HR. So, as far as a degree, are you wanting to be a detective or just patrol officer? I'd recommend a degree that is usable outside of police work. You may want to do it, until you do it. I realized that I'd make a bigger difference in my community as a teacher rather than a policeman. Being a police officer is commendable. Pay sucks. People will hate you. Hours will suck. But it is a profession that matters.
    Good luck and if wearing a badge is what you want t to do, look into forensics science.

Comment

Yeah it was a toss up between teaching and police for me. After doing a few ride-a-longs with friends that are police officers I felt like it was the place for me. I wasn't that it was "cool" to me, it was interesting to me and even watching all the paperwork being done it didn't phase me. I liked hoe it was similar to being in the Military to a degree. I liked the camaraderie between the officers and that's what I am looking for. I am interested in being patrol for awhile but I know that I am very interested in becoming a detective. I want to put back into the community aswell but I know some people will hate you no doubt. Thank you for the reply!

Comment

Well I have a degree in Electronics Engineering that I never put to use. Retired from the military after 21 years of service and then became a police officering Anchorage. Been doing that for almost 8 years now. My degree didn't help me get the job. Yes they liked that I had one and that shows a higher education, but honestly my military career helped a lot more. I'm on the hiring team for our department and everyone always asks what degree to get to better their chances at being hired. I tell them none. A clean record, being truthful during the hiring process and following directions and completing the paperwork correctly will put you high on the list of applicants.

Up there you have Fairbanks Police Department and the Fairbanks Airport Police and Fire Department. They do both police and fire full time. It's a pretty interesting job and I believe they hire quite often. Police work can be a very fulfilling job. Good luck with whatever you decide. And remember that just about any departments hiring process is about 6 months long. Give or take a month or so. So plan accordingly.
        27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
        Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
        Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
        MMSI# 338232859

Comment

If you are interested in Anchorage PD, I'd go ahead and apply. We are in a big hiring push right now. APD also has an education assistance program where the department will help pay for your schooling as long as you are in a degree seeking program. An associates degree is worth 4% and a bachelors is worth 8%. It's worth getting the degree, but I don't think I would wait to apply.
          AKmud
          sigpic

The porcupine is a peaceful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Comment

I have two former students that were taking criminal justice degree courses at UAF. If I am not mistaken, it is all online courses right now due to budget cuts. Might want to check if that is what you are thinking of taking.

Patriot Life Member NRA
            Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
            Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

I will probably consider applying in 2018 after I get settled in and have more classes under my belt. I currently have one year completed and will be in my sophomore year when I attend UAF. I have 100% Gi Bill, so my education is paid for over the next four years. It is very nice to have the education for police officers in my opinion and totally support it! You have been the 3rd Anchorage Police Officer that has told me to apply, so I am assuming you need officers really badly. The timing is off for me in 2017 just because I am moving from Texas to Oregon for a few months while my wife is done working in July and then moving to Alaska in August. I think I would apply in the Winter of 2017/18 if it open.

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
                I have two former students that were taking criminal justice degree courses at UAF. If I am not mistaken, it is all online courses right now due to budget cuts. Might want to check if that is what you are thinking of taking.
                Yes I saw that it was all online. I think I am going to stay with my Business major just because I like going to class in person and being taught in person. Unless the criminal justice program moves from online to actual taught classes I will stick with business. I might consider minoring in Criminal Justice. My academic advisor recommended that I should double minor cause I have all the elective credits completed, so double minoring would be the way to go. I am just wondering if any police departments up there have police reserves that I can do while going to college. I would love to do the Police Reserves. I emailed North Pole about their program but never hear back. I would call but I am currently deployed and have no phone to call sadly, so email is my best form of communication or Facebook.

Comment

Another question of mine is a lot of the smaller towns that are hiring want applicants to have the basic police officer certification and I was wondering if going to the police academy at UAF would be something I should do? How do these smaller towns hire younger applicants if they don't have the basic police cert?

Comment

Another question of mine is a lot of the smaller towns that are hiring want applicants to have the basic police officer certification and I was wondering if going to the police academy at UAF would be something I should do? How do these smaller towns hire younger applicants if they don't have the basic police cert?
                    Squash going to school. Use the GI Bill to pay for the academy. When I had the GI Bill, that was an option.

Comment

You can be a self pay (no Leo job) at the ALETS Academy in Sitka. They hold 2 classes each year. One in February and another in August. Both classes are 15 weeks long. Very good training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      MMSI# 338232859

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B View Post
                        You can be a self pay (no Leo job) at the ALETS Academy in Sitka. They hold 2 classes each year. One in February and another in August. Both classes are 15 weeks long. Very good training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Thank you for that information! Is there any like that in Alaska or only in Sitka?

Comment

Thank you for that information! Is there any like that in Alaska or only in Sitka?

Uh, Sitka is in Alaska. 👍
                          Vegetables arenít food, vegetables are what food eats.

Comment

Originally posted by kingfisherktn View Post
                            Uh, Sitka is in Alaska. 
                            Yes I have been to Sitka Alaska, I probably should have said is there any other ones in Alaska besides the Sitka one.

Comment

The only other one that I now of is the Police Academy in Fairbanks. Not sure if they let self pays take the class or not.
                              MMSI# 338232859

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X