Selecting a pup from a litter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnnycake View Post
    If you trust your breeder and tell her about your family and plans/needs for the dog, I'd let her choose your pup for you.
    Well, trust or not, people can't see the future, so as I said above, I would listen to, and let the breeder "help" me to possibly make my decision, but for a potential investment in something for a possible 10 to 15-16+ year haul, in the end, I'd go with what I saw that pleased me the most....regardless. Not to say some dogs aren't smarter than others, but depending on the training, I really believe that many dogs would fill what Brian and his family are looking for in their dog, especially in the breed he's decided on. I think about the people I've known that have come home with some mutt they got from kids sitting out in front of the grocery store, that has made them happy in every way, and just love to death. Now, trying to pick the possible best bird dog out of the bunch "may" be a different story, but overall breeding plays a big part in that. Again, so very much depends on the training as to how any dog turns out. The more time you put into them, the better they'll turn out to be what you want.

Oh and by the way, Daveintheburbs and BEARBOB, I too have been a big fan of Wolters for many years. I had proof that what that man says carries much weight. Sometimes it is indeed as simple as picking a male or female....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Meet Eli (named after the Wrangell St. Elias Mountains).

Comment

Comment

S/he looks just like you, Brian! :topjob: Congrats!!
          Originally posted by Brian M View Post
          Meet Eli (named after the Wrangell St. Elias Mountains).

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
          I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
          The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
            S/he looks just like you, Brian! :topjob: Congrats!!
            He. Wife was leaning towards a big male, so that helped narrow things down. This guy seemed mellow and sociable, came right up to my boys and us, and was overall super pleasant. Thought we wanted a really curly one, but he seemed like a handful and the two wavy males seemed more what we were looking for. Almost identical in temperament and appearance, but one was more into my kids and was also a fair bit larger. Im sure we could have blindly picked one from the pile and been happy, but were feeling good about this one.

Comment

Looks like a fun pup! Congrats

Comment

Nice looking pup Brian! The trainer several of us mentioned, Richard Wolters, wrote a classic training book that is well worth a look. Family Dog is available through the Anchorage library system. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Daveintheburbs View Post
                  Nice looking pup Brian! The trainer several of us mentioned, Richard Wolters, wrote a classic training book that is well worth a look. Family Dog is available through the Anchorage library system. Good luck!
                  Yeah, I picked up that book a month ago based on the numerous recommendations here. I've got some reading to do!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian M View Post
                    Yeah, I picked up that book a month ago based on the numerous recommendations here. I've got some reading to do!
                    Just remember Brain, it's all about consistency and NOT letting the dog train you....and they will try! Make sure the rest of the family trains like you do as well, as to not confuse the pup with conflicting methods. Good luck....I'm sure it will be a great dog for the family.
                    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X