Walking my 8-Month Old Lab.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walking my 8-Month Old Lab.......

Ok,,,, here's the "Scenario", I was out today walking my 8-month old yellow Lab, he had his New Harness On, which has the Front and Top Tether Attachment, he was on a 20' self-winding leash, we were walking out on a Frozen Lake here by our House, in the Valley, there were maybe 1/2 dozen Ice fishing Tents set-up,,,,, I always try and give those set-ups a "WIDE" Birth, with the New Dog and all,,,,, he didn't quite know what to make of those tents,,,, or the folks sitting around the Hole,,,, it was all pretty new to him, so I was taking it one day at a time, and letting him get used to it,,,,,,, so as Paul Harvey used to say,,,,, and Now, for the rest of the Story,,,,,, we are about 100 yards or so from one of the 1st set-ups as we came down on to the Lake,,,,, there were a few kids running around and yelling a bit, just like kids will do, and then out came the Dad,,,,, and right behind him were 2-Big German Shepard's, or maybe Malamutes,,,,,???? Pretty Dam Big anyway, both the same size,,,,,, so like I said, I was about 100yds or so away from them,,,,,

So I guess maybe I should let you Guy's/Gal's know that,,,,,, I was Packing, -[S&W 329PD .44 w/255 gr. Buffalo-Bore]- as I always do, when ever I'm out waking,,,,, it is Alaska, and I never take it for Granted,,,,, like Oh, were in Town, No need,,,,, Wrong.!!!!

Back to the Story,,,,,,
    anyway, one of those Dogs saw us,,,,,, and here he comes,,,, as my Granddad used to say, he's Hauling the Mail , -[going full-tilt]-,,,,,, then the other Dog is on his way,,,,,, the Guy is running after them and Yelling his Head off,,,,, it takes me about 1-sec. to re-act,,,,, Gun out Hammer Back,,,, and One Round Ready to go,,,,,, and I'm yelling at the Guy, saying I don't want to have to Shoot your Dogs,,,,,,, so this is all happening in the length of a football field, Pretty Dam Quick,,,,, and I haven't moved an Inch, got Murphy pulled up tight right next to me,,,,, I've got this Mental Line in the Sand,-[Snow]- once thats crossed,,,,, I'm pulling the Trigger,,,,, and I ain't Shooting No Warning Shot's either,,,,,,, well the Guy starts Blowing a Whistle, and @ 20-25yds the 1st Dog just up and Stops, again I haven't moved an Inch,,,,,, the other Dog has slowed-up some, but still coming,,,,, my Mind is telling me that I might have to Shoot both these dogs,,,, well,,,, 2nd dog stops right with the 1st Dog,,,,,, the Guy his still blowing his whistle like Hell,,,,, he gets to the Dogs, takes his belt off real quick, secures that 1st Dog,,,,, he's Pretty much out of breath, bent over and hacking-up louggies,,,,,, I'm still Cocked & Loaded, and on Target,,,,,,, he is trying to talk to me, and get his breath at the same time, I ask him if he has control of those Dogs,,,,,,, as he is looking down the barrel of that .44,,,,,, and here comes his Wife and Kids on their Snow-Machine,,,,,, she is Cussing at him like a Mad-Woman from Hell,,,,,, she ask's me to put down the Gun, and I said, secure those Dogs and I'll Consider it,,,,,,, well, I didn't have to Shoot any of their Dogs, but is was all the "Adrenaline-Rush" I needed for this Day anyway.
    TG:topjob:
    [ USMC 1st Marine Div. 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi ] :topjob:

Originally posted by The German View Post
    Ok,,,, here's the "Scenario", I was out today walking my 8-month old yellow Lab, he had his New Harness On, which has the Front and Top Tether Attachment, he was on a 20' self-winding leash, we were walking out on a Frozen Lake here by our House, in the Valley, there were maybe 1/2 dozen Ice fishing Tents set-up,,,,, I always try and give those set-ups a "WIDE" Birth, with the New Dog and all,,,,, he didn't quite know what to make of those tents,,,, or the folks sitting around the Hole,,,, it was all pretty new to him, so I was taking it one day at a time, and letting him get used to it,,,,,,, so as Paul Harvey used to say,,,,, and Now, for the rest of the Story,,,,,, we are about 100 yards or so from one of the 1st set-ups as we came down on to the Lake,,,,, there were a few kids running around and yelling a bit, just like kids will do, and then out came the Dad,,,,, and right behind him were 2-Big German Shepard's, or maybe Malamutes,,,,,???? Pretty Dam Big anyway, both the same size,,,,,, so like I said, I was about 100yds or so away from them,,,,,

So I guess maybe I should let you Guy's/Gal's know that,,,,,, I was Packing, -[S&W 329PD .44 w/255 gr. Buffalo-Bore]- as I always do, when ever I'm out waking,,,,, it is Alaska, and I never take it for Granted,,,,, like Oh, were in Town, No need,,,,, Wrong.!!!!

Back to the Story,,,,,,
    anyway, one of those Dogs saw us,,,,,, and here he comes,,,, as my Granddad used to say, he's Hauling the Mail , -[going full-tilt]-,,,,,, then the other Dog is on his way,,,,,, the Guy is running after them and Yelling his Head off,,,,, it takes me about 1-sec. to re-act,,,,, Gun out Hammer Back,,,, and One Round Ready to go,,,,,, and I'm yelling at the Guy, saying I don't want to have to Shoot your Dogs,,,,,,, so this is all happening in the length of a football field, Pretty Dam Quick,,,,, and I haven't moved an Inch, got Murphy pulled up tight right next to me,,,,, I've got this Mental Line in the Sand,-[Snow]- once thats crossed,,,,, I'm pulling the Trigger,,,,, and I ain't Shooting No Warning Shot's either,,,,,,, well the Guy starts Blowing a Whistle, and @ 20-25yds the 1st Dog just up and Stops, again I haven't moved an Inch,,,,,, the other Dog has slowed-up some, but still coming,,,,, my Mind is telling me that I might have to Shoot both these dogs,,,, well,,,, 2nd dog stops right with the 1st Dog,,,,,, the Guy his still blowing his whistle like Hell,,,,, he gets to the Dogs, takes his belt off real quick, secures that 1st Dog,,,,, he's Pretty much out of breath, bent over and hacking-up louggies,,,,,, I'm still Cocked & Loaded, and on Target,,,,,,, he is trying to talk to me, and get his breath at the same time, I ask him if he has control of those Dogs,,,,,,, as he is looking down the barrel of that .44,,,,,, and here comes his Wife and Kids on their Snow-Machine,,,,,, she is Cussing at him like a Mad-Woman from Hell,,,,,, she ask's me to put down the Gun, and I said, secure those Dogs and I'll Consider it,,,,,,, well, I didn't have to Shoot any of their Dogs, but is was all the "Adrenaline-Rush" I needed for this Day anyway.
    I don't blame you a bit....I probably would have done the same thing. In fact one time had I been packing there probably would have been a dead neighbor's dog. My daughter and I were just leaving the house on cross country skis and got to the corner and the neighbors house, and out of nowhere here comes this big malamute looking dog dragging his chain that he just broke to get to us. He slammed into my yellow lab and was biting at him with me yelling at the dog and trying to get close enough to either hit, or stab it with my ski pole. It was pretty much a hit and run and was over real quick, but I kept yelling at the neighbor who I don't even know was in the house or not, saying I'll kill that dog if it ever happens again. Anymore I got no patience for mean dogs...!!! Plus, I've come very close to shooting dogs that I see chasing moose, which as you may know is perfectly legal to do in Alaska.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Quite a bit of over reaction if you ask me. You skin your gun on my dogs and getting bit will be the least of your worries.

Comment

Only mild critique would be, once the owners were there I would have holstered the weapon. Now that there were unintended targets mixed in with the dogs, and kids too.

I do not, in any way, think you over reacted by pulling on a couple of charging and aggressive dogs. You were under a legitimate threat of serious bodily harm and were completely justified, in my opinion. All dog owners need to be responsible for their animals behavior. That means leashing when in public. Especially if you have dogs that are aggressive to other dogs.

Dexter, sorry to say this but your dogs aren't worth a single drop of my blood, nor that of my children. I have been bitten once as a child by an unsecured German Shepard that left a yard and crossed a street to get me. I have zero sympathy for unsecured aggressive dogs.

Comment

To me, I wasn't there so it's too hard to say whether you overreacted. I kind of think since nobody got hurt the results speak for themselves.

Comment

Once the dogs stopped and werenít a threat, you could have lowered your hammer and gun. Maybe not holstered until the dogs were secured. I had a neighbors shepherd charge us (my lab and I) the other day. Thankfully it was just a greet session with hair raised. I didnít have time to draw (I do carry while walking). Teenagers just opened the door so it wasnít malicious intent.

Comment

Interesting responses.... and I can only give my perspective and feelings. I must say my adrenaline nodes got roaring as I read your post German. Iíve beem in some interesting situations both ways.
              I donít consider a dog(s) running at me necessarily Ďaggressiveí behavior. While it COULD be, it just depends on breed of dog/size etc and other factors.
              So pulling the pistol in ready, ok. I get it. Holding it on the dogs as they are stopped with the owner next to them....NOPE! I would consider holding a weapon in the direction near the owner irresponsible. (Muzzle towards ground at ready, ok).
              Myself, I would only break up an actual deadly fight with ANY sort of shooting incident. Donít get me wrong, Iím not saying I wouldnít shoot to save myself or my dog (potentially) but there would have to be some sort of ACTUAL aggression. There WOULD be blood or damage involved from something more than just a bullet at the scene.
              That said, if someone EVER shot my friendly furry companion because my dog ran over to Ďgreetí him, and my pooch had never damaged him, well, you better hope Iím not packing cuz one of us is not going to leave the scene without blood. Iíll be doing them a favor too cuz they will never have to live in fear of their life again.
              So German, I donít know what your Ďlineí was you drew entails, nor can I figure out why a warning shot was ruled out, but from what I read out of your entire post I would say you over reacted somewhat. I would like u to address how you assessed a Ďdangerí here more thoroughly. Was it your life or your pups life u felt in jeopardy? Why/how specifically?And I ask this as I once recently posted on this forum of my granddaughters chuwawa ripped from her arms as she tried to prevent a friends known mean dog from then killing it. Unsuccessfully, I might add.

Comment

Excellent response Cod! Could not agree more.

Comment

Iím assuming the dogs were showing aggression in their approach to him. A snarling dog charging is much different than a wagging chargimg dog. Itís when they are silent that the intentions arenít known until the encounter happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
                    Iím assuming the dogs were showing aggression in their approach to him.
                    I guess I "assumed" the same which may have been the wrong thing to do? I gave him the benefit of the doubt as to there must have been a reasonable threat perceived for him to pull his piece in the first place.
                    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
                      I guess I "assumed" the same which may have been the wrong thing to do? I gave him the benefit of the doubt as to there must have been a reasonable threat perceived for him to pull his piece in the first place.
                      Exactly. As mentioned. Once dogs were secured my gun would have been put away. I think thatís the only think I find fault with.

Comment

Ok,,,, as per some of the responses, and some 24hrs since all this happened, I thought I'd give some "Clarifications" to my Original Post.
                        1st Off, I wouldn't do anything different, if it were to happen again on our walk today.

2nd, The Guttural-Sounds, and Body Language of that 1st Dog, as he was headed for us,,,, was not a, Oh, I'm just coming over to say Hello........

3rd, Once the Guy had his Belt around that 1st Dogs neck,,,, I did lower the Hammer, and lowered the Gun to my right side, as I had kneeled down at that point, so as to get a full hand full of that top strap on my Dogs Harness, as I was trying to steady myself and him, if and when I was going to make the shot, and shooting that 329PD one-handed is doable, as I've practiced doing it, glad I had my Shooting Gloves on.

4th I'm still not sure what Breed of Dogs they were,,,,, but I will say this, when the guy was walking away with both Dogs, their Backs were at his Waist Height,,,,,,, I'm now thinking Wolf-Hybrids, you do remember the place North of Palmer, on the Glenn that got pinched by the State-Troopers and a few yrs back, for Breeding such, and recalling some of the Wife's yelling about they were supposed to be tied-up to the Snow-Machine, I'm betting this is not the 1st time this type of situation has happened with these folks, and these Dog's, Wolves,,,, or *** ever.
                        [ USMC 1st Marine Div. 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi ] :topjob:

Comment

I can see where some people might think you over reacted. Then I look at my right hand and the results of where a German Shepard came into my yard fast and hard at my two labs. As my youngest light weight proceeded to kick the Shepard's butt and I was worried he was going to kill it, I stepped in. The Shepard, I don't think he went for me, but got me, raked 3-4 teeth down 3 fingers with his mouth leaving 4 scars about 1/2 - 1 1/2" long on the side of the fingers. That little lab then proceeded to almost kill that Shepard and it took 3 men to break it up. A few lessons learned from that so I can't fault you. Glad it turned out that you did not have to pull the trigger.

Patriot Life Member NRA
                          Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                          Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

We were bird hunting in Iowa about 20 years ago when a dog started barking at us from a fancy house on top of the hill a half mile away. The dog came charging down the long lane headed right for our bird dogs. We had time to get out our dogs healed at our sides and wait to see what transpired. At 100 yards it was easy to see it was a large Donerman. I started screaming at it and waving my arms but it was undetered. I fired a round into the field about half way between us and the dog but it kept coming. He veared off towards my buddy who had is gun up and was yelling no. At 25 yards he gave that Doberman a load of high brass 4 shot right in the face and he went down. The owner came down on his 4 wheeler and was distraught about his dog but admitted that he was an attack dog and was always dragging dead animals up in the yard. Thatís when I said well then we did the world a favor and said letís keep hunting he can deal with his dead dog.

Comment

Clarification on points from the OP help. Other posters are mostly describing situations far diff than OP describes. Differences between private property and public property are huge factors obviously. Rational dog owners must also keep mitigating circumstances like Ďproximityí to said dogs legal property or perhaps even Ďusualí area of use by a said canine. In my their words, are you perhaps in front of a dog owners own legal property where a rational person could suspect a dog may come slightly off his owners property to defend what he feels is his territory. Right or wrong by that kind of dog, a rational individual should ay least expect that possibility.
                              It is wise to be on guard in public places at all times for irresponsible owners and their dogs. Not only are some owners irresponsible but as we all know, unseeable circumstances and accidents DO happen in life. When they do, try not to get bent out of shape about it. Try to be the adult in the situation so things donít wind out of control. We all know how quickly the OPs experience can careen into the gutter. (As I read his post the first time, I was sure that it was headed that direction. Thankfully it didnít but thatís why I wrote how my adrenaline nodes got roaring as I started reading it. )
                              Anyhow, Iím thankful your incident came out fine, German. I would hope all pet owners would understand that some owners pets are like their own children to them. So they of all folks should understand that a threat to someoneís family member is taken quite seriously. I hope even non pet owners can understand the relationship between pet owners and their pets can elicit great consternation by said owners.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X