No announcement yet.

Best Hunting Dog Breed For Alaska Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got this in an email if anybody would like to quiz themselves as to which breed might be a good match. The questions don't cover all situations but it's not a bad start imo. https://www.orvis.com/s/welcome-to-t...et_rid=7517205
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 2jumpersplease View Post
      Deutsch-Drahthaar for me. The German Wirehaired Pointer, Deutsch-Kurzhaar and German Shorthair are close in the list. Fur and feather, point, retrieve, and track. Low maintenance coat. Good to colder temps than I am comfortable hunting in.

Looks like the next litter will be mid-February. Let me know if you want to check them out.

Merry Christmas!

-Tom
      Iowa winters arenít much different much of Alaska. Last winter we hunted 6 hours when the temp was -8 and 20 mph wind. 3 of us killed our limit of 9 pheasants that day. We used my sons Deutsch Drathaar, my Moesgaard Shorthair and a blocky all black Deutschland Kurzhaar stud dog from Canada! Both my shorthair and the Kurzhaar did excellent in that weather but the Drahthaar was just phenomenal. She works a bit slower but I never ever want to hurry to keep up with a dog so that is perfect to me! She also pointed two birds that the other dogs missed. However she scored a 76 out of a possible 77 at the Heartland Chapter VJP test and was top dog.... she was just 9 months old when she accomplished that. She has had almost 300 birds (pheasants)killed over since then. She is now 2 and a half and will do her breed test this spring! She was the runt in the litter and weighs but 60 lbs but she will kill a huge bore raccoon in short order. She will track a wounded deer and is 4 for 4 on wounded deer going a half mile or more with no visible blood trail. I have raised and trialed shorthair for almost 40 years but none that were equal to this Drahthaar at 2 years of age! The Drahthaar does equally as well in a duck boat.

I had my mind made up that I would have a Drahthaar next but the owner of the Kurzhaar awarded me free pick of the litter out of his stud dog. So this season I have had a 4 month old Kurzhaar pup in tow all season. She is now 5 months old and pointed a rooster yesterday and honored point to one that my shorthair was pointing. Nothing makes me smile more than seeing the light bulb come on when a good bird dog pup is figuring it out!

Comment

I gotta say the Lab (insert favorite color here) is my favorite family/outdoor dog. My girls are snugglers and not afraid to get out and retrieve in water or dry ground all day long. I wear out long before they do. It's not unusual for my chocolate to find something from the bottom of the lake to bring back it my black lab gets the bumper first. I have seen her dive down and bring back an entire lily pad so she didn't have to come back empty handed. I just sold all my chocolate pups before Thanksgiving and now am expecting a litter from my Black lab next week. So if anyone is looking for a lifetime companion let me know. Hoping to have all three colors in this litter.

Comment

Years ago our Devoted Springer, Freckles, a most Magnificent Field Springer, had to be put down. Time went on, it never felt right to replace her. One day a call came in from the Springer Rescue and we got our Gal Shelby. When we took her to our Vet he said: "So you're finally getting another Dog!?" I said, "Yeah, it's been a few years and it's time..." He looked at the file, looked at me, and said in a low voice: "Chris, it's been 12 years since you last had a Dog." It took us that long to get past the "too special to ever replace" point, but we did. Shelby is now also gone to Cancer, but our "new" boy, Atom, only 2 at the time, was rescued a few years before we had to put Shelby down. I vowed to never be without one after that. He's getting well into middle age, it's time to start seeking out our next best friend...

Comment

Originally posted by duteman View Post
            Years ago our Devoted Springer, Freckles, a most Magnificent Field Springer, had to be put down. Time went on, it never felt right to replace her. One day a call came in from the Springer Rescue and we got our Gal Shelby. When we took her to our Vet he said: "So you're finally getting another Dog!?" I said, "Yeah, it's been a few years and it's time..." He looked at the file, looked at me, and said in a low voice: "Chris, it's been 12 years since you last had a Dog." It took us that long to get past the "too special to ever replace" point, but we did. Shelby is now also gone to Cancer, but our "new" boy, Atom, only 2 at the time, was rescued a few years before we had to put Shelby down. I vowed to never be without one after that. He's getting well into middle age, it's time to start seeking out our next best friend...
            Yep, I too went many years without getting another "replacement" if you want to call it that. They really don't replace what you had that's for sure...
            Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
              I just got this in an email if anybody would like to quiz themselves as to which breed might be a good match. The questions don't cover all situations but it's not a bad start imo. https://www.orvis.com/s/welcome-to-t...et_rid=7517205
              Just took this and ended up with German Shorthaired Pointer! Been a Springer man my whole life. Oh well, I'm a bit of a non-conformist anyway...

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
              Working...
              X