Source of birds dead or alive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source of birds dead or alive

I need some birds for training my lab. I'd prefer live pigeons but dead ducks would work just fine. any have any in the freezer they would part with? or any sources to find some live pigeons would be awesome!
    Thanks

+1 on needing this. PM me after you PM Griffin because I need some too!

Comment

Where are you guys at?

Comment

This forum member has some geese.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ot-Goose-quot-......
        "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Comment

Couple other forum members have birds, SMHBirds and Huntress. I know both have live quail, Huntress also has pigeons and SMHBirds has mallards.
          Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
          Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Comment

Thanks. I am in the Wasilla/Houston area. I know Huntress. I will check with her.

Comment

AK can you pass me her info?

Comment

Try Craigslist or Alaskaslist for birds. I bought a couple of live ducks for $10 off a nice family out in the valley last year. If you'd prefer they be dead, well then do what you do best!

Comment

Griffin - heard from her today and she doesn't have any pigeons to part with right now, but she is going to check around and will let me know if she comes up with some. I will let you know.

Comment

I have a few drake mallards in my freezer vacume sealed whole I shot in early Dec..I saved a bunch to mount but could part with one.. I will gladly gift it to you.. just have to come pick it up..

Hoytguy
                    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Comment

Well Griffin has dibs, but if he passes, count me second!

Comment

This reading may be of interest before you use "hunted" game birds for training purposes. The dog clubs buy raised birds for trainig and testing.

https://secure.wildlife.alaska.gov/i...wlhunting.dogs

If you were in Fairbanks I would give you a couple farmed mallards.

Comment

I will have some pigeon this summer our family is just moving into a new place north of Fairbanks, and it will take me some time to rebuild the coops. Hopefully by July we will have some young birds ready to fly. we raise a racing Homer for sport and white kings for meat, along with a few other fancy breeds in the summers.
                          squab (probably of Scandinavian descent; skvabb, meaning "loose, fat flesh") is a young domestic pigeon or its meat

Comment

Hey Huey, thanks for checking with me. I haven't found anything as of yet but will keep looking! We'll have some more pigeons here this summer, right now all I have are two bonded pairs so I won't be parting with them. Certainly keep me in mind for later though.
                            "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Comment

A person can legally "GIFT" a migratory bird.. considering it was harvested in the general season and by legal means.. what the recipient chooses to do with it is on "THEM"..

My suggestion would be to cut the wings off, and use them.. The birds are fresh so heck, you could even de breast and eat the meat.. I used to do this with my lab from a puppy.. start with a wing of say a teal.. then go to 2 wings.,,, as the dog grows, up the size of bird wing.. or "bird".. the bird scent will be on the wing anyway.. using this techniqe combined with others will prevent them from developing a (hard mouth) and chomping down.. once the training session is over, put it back in the freezer to remain fresh.. One could even tape a couple wings on a rubber bumper of choice.... their are hundred of options out their imo..besided reading between the lines and automatically assuming something is illegal and posting it on the forum, But I guess that is just the nature of some people eh?

AK Explorer, you are welcome to one if you wish..
                              Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X