how many decoys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how many decoys

Got another question for everyone........does anyone here believe in the statement that one should always have an odd numember of decoys in their spread? I guess so if any loners fly by and land they will have a buddy to pair up with. Also besides mallards what other species do people have in their spread. I am just curious. Last would be anybody have any luck with any confidenace decoys up here?

In my experience it doesn't matter. Ducks can't count. The only time I have ever noticed birds caring about the spread is later in the season, when they are getting shot at a lot. I usually use mallards, widgeon, pintail, and about 4 floater goose decoys. As far as confidence decoys go, I have never used them, I have heard they work.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Comment

It only seems to make a difference with very small decoy spreads and small groups of birds or singles. By small I mean two or three decoys, such as I use on long hikes to reach small waters. Put out a pair of mallards and birds might or might not stop. Put out a hen and a couple of drakes and it seems to work better. Best yet, put our three hens and no drakes.

Only a general rule of thumb, and maybe an excuse to carry fewer blocks on long hikes. On big water with big flocks.... nah.
      "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
      Merle Haggard

Comment

Decoys

Down here on the peninsula I do not use Drake decoys at all. The ducks have no color on them until much later in the season and I seem to do better with the decoying if I don't use drakes.

www.mikesbritishguns.us

Comment

hens

Hen decoys are all we use in the spring as well, draws the drakes in like magnets.

Comment

Size of water and wind direction

as long as you dont over crowd the water you should be fine, to add a more advanced hint of realism to your spread make sure you Decoys are always facing into the wind, through a crane on the bank about 50 to 100m away from your spread to build confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Casper50 View Post
              Down here on the peninsula I do not use Drake decoys at all. The ducks have no color on them until much later in the season and I seem to do better with the decoying if I don't use drakes.

www.mikesbritishguns.us

Same here I only use hens on the lakes in palmer. Drakes have no color.
              I use about a dozen and one baby hen mojo
              Living the Alaskan Dream
              Gary Keller
              Anchorage, AK

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
              Working...
              X