Wife and Seaducks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wife and Seaducks

So question, my wife just asked me if Id be interested in going to the coast, staying in a lodge, and taking her Seaduck hunting. My instant response was of course YES! Ive wanted to get her out and show her waterfowl hunting for years but for her the timing has never been right.
    So my question is this: what shotgun should I get her? If we are going on this trip I want to get her a shotgun as I have my Maxus that I live. 12, 16 or 20 gauge? Should I go Semi or Pump? Its her first shotgun and obviously we will spend some time out as it would be next years hunting season before we made it down.
    Anyway, looking for a bit of input before I start looking, Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if your hunting sea ducks i would go for the 12 gauge because them things are some tough birds. I wouldnt get a 16 because the shells are harder to find and if you fly out some where chances are there will be 12 gauge shells available if you need to buy more. you could possibly get away with a 20 but if your buying the gun for waterfowl and she can handle a little more weight of a 12 i would get that. Pump or semi is totally up to you and your budget. pump will be around 300 or so and semi around a grand. I wouldnt waste my time with wood stocks or blued barrels either especially if your in the salt. was out last weekend with my dipped xtrema and just wiped it down quick every night (still stayed wet the hole time because we were camping) and my buddy had to break his X3 down every night and oil it all up because of the wood stock and blued barrel.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

Originally posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
      if your hunting sea ducks i would go for the 12 gauge because them things are some tough birds. I wouldnt get a 16 because the shells are harder to find and if you fly out some where chances are there will be 12 gauge shells available if you need to buy more. you could possibly get away with a 20 but if your buying the gun for waterfowl and she can handle a little more weight of a 12 i would get that. Pump or semi is totally up to you and your budget. pump will be around 300 or so and semi around a grand. I wouldnt waste my time with wood stocks or blued barrels either especially if your in the salt. was out last weekend with my dipped xtrema and just wiped it down quick every night (still stayed wet the hole time because we were camping) and my buddy had to break his X3 down every night and oil it all up because of the wood stock and blued barrel.
      Good points! I can always have her shoot 2.75 or 3 shells too, no reason for her to shoot the big guys.
      I was thinking Id like to hermit her the plastic stock but hadnt thought about the blueing, would definitely need to think about that. My Maxus I need to get out and shoot, the last Tim I took her out we had a blast but I did have a 3.5 shell jam in the load gate, first time that had happened, need to make sure that isnt a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Leryt View Post
        Good points! I can always have her shoot 2.75 or 3 shells too, no reason for her to shoot the big guys.
        I was thinking Id like to hermit her the plastic stock but hadnt thought about the blueing, would definitely need to think about that. My Maxus I need to get out and shoot, the last Tim I took her out we had a blast but I did have a 3.5 shell jam in the load gate, first time that had happened, need to make sure that isnt a thing.

I also have a Maxxus, had it for years, love it. I'd recommend semi if you have the coin. Besides the advantages of a semi, they kick less than a pump since some of the energy is transferred into the bolt cycling vs shoulder. So that's an added benefit for your wife.

Comment

Originally posted by a2thak View Post
          I also have a Maxxus, had it for years, love it. I'd recommend semi if you have the coin. Besides the advantages of a semi, they kick less than a pump since some of the energy is transferred into the bolt cycling vs shoulder. So that's an added benefit for your wife.
          MAXUS FOR THE WIN!
          Id love to get her a semi, just not sure if it would really be worth it. Ill definitely look into the options!

Comment

Originally posted by Leryt View Post
            MAXUS FOR THE WIN!
            Id love to get her a semi, just not sure if it would really be worth it. Ill definitely look into the options!

If she doesn't use it, then you get a newer backup gun! Win-Win!!

Comment

I would also go with the semi in 12.....no need to have her worry about pumping the gun, when she could just be concentrating on the bird. As a young boy fairly small in stature my Dad still had me start off with the 12. Nothing to it really as long as she learns to shoot it correctly, ie, get that sucker tucked in tight! Maybe this spring/summer start her on on clays with some lighter field loads, and if all goes well she really shouldn't have any problems shooting high brass by the time the season starts.
              Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
                I would also go with the semi in 12.....no need to have her worry about pumping the gun, when she could just be concentrating on the bird. As a young boy fairly small in stature my Dad still had me start off with the 12. Nothing to it really as long as she learns to shoot it correctly, ie, get that sucker tucked in tight! Maybe this spring/summer start her on on clays with some lighter field loads, and if all goes well she really shouldn't have any problems shooting high brass by the time the season starts.
                Exactly thats my plan. I figured get started this spring. Get her comfortable and used to shooting.

Comment

Gas operated autoloader to minimize recoil in the 12 gauge flavor. A Remington Versamax won't break the bank and will shoot any and all ammo.
                  sigpic

Heavy Hitter Fishing
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X