Chickaloon Geese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chickaloon Geese

I Never been out there before and talked about doing it for years so my buddies and myself decided to give it a shot, with a ranger 6x6 and an RZR. Its a long run around the point for anyone that is thinking of doing this trip from captain cook. But it is worth it. We left a few hours after high tide and were planning on hunting all the next day and leave the following for a total of two nights. Next time we will plan it a little differently. We saw thousands of geese, more than I have ever seen anywhere in Alaska. That was the problem giant flocks attract even more geese and makes your spread look ridiculously small. We wound up with only three but we were more than happy with that. The three we got were stragglers that hadn't yet seen the giant flocks about a mile away and they dropped in hard to a call and the decs, so frickin fun! No where to hide for jump shooting as we tried that a few times. We had a great trip, one extremely close call involving the ranger 6x6, the tidal mud flats and the tide. That's a whole other story in itself. We will go back next year and are confident that we have it figured out now on what the geese do during the day and how we will be much much more successful. For anyone think of doing this trip I highly recommend it. Remember the bigger spread the better and motion in the spread is your friend.Click image for larger version

Name:	10729088_10203272244991621_450606884_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	2514047Click image for larger version

Name:	10749447_10203272244231602_1681929857_n.jpg
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	2514048

Click image for larger version

Name:	10733550_10203272243831592_179062165_n.jpg
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	2493091
    Ruger is a not used to geese but he did very well.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	10728759_10203272243231577_1399540194_n.jpg
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	2493092

Comment

COngrat looks like alot of fun you should write about the close call so others dont do it.
      Is it opening day of duck season yet
      Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Comment

Very cool. That looks like a true AK adventure. I've been wishing I had a hovercraft to buzz over there with. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by skybust View Post
          COngrat looks like alot of fun you should write about the close call so others dont do it.
          YES!! I second that. After reading, I didn't care about the geese. I only cared about the close call, so that if I ever did this hunt, I wouldn't make the same close call

Looks like a blast. And a good time.

Comment

So the close call... The first evening we were looking for a place to set up camp and eventually walk our spread and gear in. The beach at this point is rather small and a tree had washed up blocking the beach off and leaving the mud flats.The tree only stuck out about 15 ft into the flats so we got out and walked around the tree, the flats were solid as a rock but water puddles around the area led us to believe that the tide had recently been up that high. There was grass and rocks on top of the mud which led us to believe that we would be good. The RZR went fist with no issues and I followed with no issues. It wasn't until we returned that night around 7 oclock when I followed the same tracks where the problem started. Everything looked great but I made it 15 ft diagonally from the beach and I was sucked in like nothing I have ever been in before. Try the rzr winch with no avail. Two winch's a 4k and 3.5k pulling against each others machine and nothing. That tidal mud is suction cupped like nothing I have ever seen. We dug for 4.5 hrs with one shovel and our bare hands inching the machine forward with winch's, I snapped the left front axel which didn't help matters. We barely beat the tide. I was for sure it was gone as we weren't moving fast enough. Luckily my 17k rig is not still out there as I was certain where it would take its last breath. I will never come within 10 ft of that stuff ever again. I now see why people can die in the Turnagain Arm mud. Stuff is frickin ridiculous.

Comment

I know there are a couple ways to access the area, following the beach being one of them. The other is a old road that is very bad but doable with mud rigs and ATV's. Did you consider that route. Bud
              Wasilla

Comment

Yeah the other route is mystery creek road. You can't drive atv's on it as it is refuge land. Any rig you take has to be registered and highway legal. I live near the road and have been on it many times in a pickup but it can get nasty.

Comment

So if an ATV is highway legal and registered it can go right? or a Jeep.

Whats to stop a guy from driving it on an ATV? Just asking for informative reasons..

Originally posted by slickwilly30 View Post
                  Yeah the other route is mystery creek road. You can't drive atv's on it as it is refuge land. Any rig you take has to be registered and highway legal. I live near the road and have been on it many times in a pickup but it can get nasty.
                  President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
                  http://akwaterfowl.com
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
                  AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
                  Gen.1:26
                  And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Comment

Once you get the rig off the beach and on land above the tide line it is also on refuge land and not legal there isn't it. I had heard you follow the road to the refuge, park the atv's and walk in the rest of the way, a short hike I thought. Did not realize the road was on the refuge. Bud
                    Wasilla

Comment

You can try it but it has been tried before. If it is classified as an off-road vehicle it is not allowed on refuge land. A jeep is fine as long as it's registered for highway use.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
                        Whats to stop a guy from driving it on an ATV?
                        Personal ethics
                        Knowing rules and agreeing to follow them
                        Not wanting the hassle of lawyering up in a federal courtroom

Comment

Originally posted by akblackdawg View Post
                          Once you get the rig off the beach and on land above the tide line it is also on refuge land and not legal there isn't it. I had heard you follow the road to the refuge, park the atv's and walk in the rest of the way, a short hike I thought. Did not realize the road was on the refuge. Bud
                          Are talking about the beach access via captain cook or mystery creek access?

Comment

Originally posted by slickwilly30 View Post
                            Are talking about the beach access via captain cook or mystery creek access?
                            I was comparing the two access points, and thinking that you could drive the mystery creek road to the refuge boundry and then a short hike into the refuge to hike. Neaver having been there, just going by what I've heard. Will be good to have accurate information from you, thank you. Bud
                            Wasilla

Comment

The mystery creek road is on refuge land. You can take a highway rig but no atv's you can almost get to the chickaloon river via the trail and then walk in from there. Access via the beach/nikiski is 40 miles around pt possession and you have to stop at the boundary marker basically not far into the flats. The chickaloon flats are huge, I think 7 miles across from the two access points. Most of the mudflats even below the high tide line are encompassed in the refuge land. From what we could see most of the geese go sit on the mudflats at low tide and fly into the grassy areas at high tide.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X