Anchorage Needs A Waterfowl Dipnet Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anchorage Needs A Waterfowl Dipnet Season

A couple of early mornings with a bag of bread and a dipnet would solve this problem. I vote for a lottery draw for a special permit.

http://www.adn.com/article/20140914/...ater-anchorage

Ya I'll take part in that haha

Comment

I'll bring half of Kenai and Soldotna up with me to dip net your birds. Make sure you have camping places for us. Don't mind the mess when we are done.

Comment

How bout blow guns instead!

Sent while partying

Alaska swamp man pro staff
        I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
        but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

Archery with flu flu arrows...Im game
          President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
          http://akwaterfowl.com
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
          AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
          Gen.1:26
          And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Comment

I've often wondered what would happen if someone took seriously the regulation note that hunting is allowed throughout the MOA by falconry only. It would be lights-out. You'd get a lot of dirty looks, but it would be quite a sight to bring a red-tailed hawk to one of Anchorage's parks and let it loose on these nearly domesticated birds.

But on a more serious note, I think people don't understand the damage they do by feeding wild animals. The article seems to state that it is common knowledge, but in my experience it really isn't. Maybe people have heard it, but they don't really understand it. We should do better at sending the message. -Gr
            My signature is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Gr is for Greg View Post
              I've often wondered what would happen if someone took seriously the regulation note that hunting is allowed throughout the MOA by falconry only. It would be lights-out. You'd get a lot of dirty looks, but it would be quite a sight to bring a red-tailed hawk to one of Anchorage's parks and let it loose on these nearly domesticated birds.

But on a more serious note, I think people don't understand the damage they do by feeding wild animals. The article seems to state that it is common knowledge, but in my experience it really isn't. Maybe people have heard it, but they don't really understand it. We should do better at sending the message. -Gr
              When I lived in East Anchorage, there was a guy that smacked the mallard around real good using falconry. He was there at least once a week during the season. It was very interesting to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Woody View Post
                When I lived in East Anchorage, there was a guy that smacked the mallard around real good using falconry. He was there at least once a week during the season. It was very interesting to watch.
                As I understand it, it's quite a process. You don't just go get a raptor. There's a whole apprenticeship process, and I've even heard that you have to go harvest an egg or chick of the bird you want to use from the nest and raise it from a chick. That's wild. Take it as unsubstantiated for now, but let's agree that you can't get hunting birds from Cabela's... It would be pretty bad@$$ tho
                My signature is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by sayak View Post
                  I'll bring half of Kenai and Soldotna up with me to dip net your birds. Make sure you have camping places for us. Don't mind the mess when we are done.
                  We're gonna need more people than that. Have to bring along all the out of state relatives too.
                  Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Originally posted by Gr is for Greg View Post
                    As I understand it, it's quite a process. You don't just go get a raptor. There's a whole apprenticeship process, and I've even heard that you have to go harvest an egg or chick of the bird you want to use from the nest and raise it from a chick. That's wild. Take it as unsubstantiated for now, but let's agree that you can't get hunting birds from Cabela's... It would be pretty bad@$$ tho
                    One of my Dad's buddies was a master falconer, which means he was the guy you had to talk into taking you under his wing in order to get the falconry license. He never raised the birds from chicks, he always trapped them (usually an adult bird), then trained them up. His preferred bird was a peregrine, but always had a goshawk around. He was never a big fan of red tails for some reason. It was always a blast when I was a kid to watch him out there training his birds. The sound a peregrine makes when it dives is pretty awesome!
                    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
                    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
                    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Comment

This is just anecdotal but it sure seems like I am seeing fewer foxes and more geese here in town. The **** things are getting too comfortable. They walk right on the roads and ignore traffic until vehicles are practically running them over before they begrudgingly waddle off with swagger and attitude.

Maybe it is time to remind them who is the boss.

Comment

Almost daily see flocks on the ball fields and in the road medians they make a real mess of a small park in a hurry.

Comment

so when i was living in mn and was working for outfitters i would be driving on dirt roads all the time and every so often i may or may not have hit grouse on purpose with the axel which was at perfect height to break the neck/skull. In the reg book up here it doesnt say anything about using an axle of a vehicle to kill them. Would it be against the law to hit one with the truck if you picked it up and ate it. Now not to say that you would be able to look for them around town specifically targeting them but if one just so happen to be in front of your vehicle and it was banded would you get in trouble if you hit it and then jumped out picked it up and brought it home for dinner...

Comment

Originally posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
                            so when i was living in mn and was working for outfitters i would be driving on dirt roads all the time and every so often i may or may not have hit grouse on purpose with the axel which was at perfect height to break the neck/skull. In the reg book up here it doesnt say anything about using an axle of a vehicle to kill them. Would it be against the law to hit one with the truck if you picked it up and ate it. Now not to say that you would be able to look for them around town specifically targeting them but if one just so happen to be in front of your vehicle and it was banded would you get in trouble if you hit it and then jumped out picked it up and brought it home for dinner...
                            Yes indeed. You would be in trouble. Fish and feathers actually have stuffed grouse that they use in sting operations to snag less than ethical sorts. They write you a ticket, have the option of confiscating weapons, vehicles, and other items utilized in the "hunt", and send you a bill to have a new grouse taxidermied.
                            “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite

Comment

What laws would you be breaking

Sent while partying

Alaska swamp man pro staff

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X