Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retriever Training Class Starting Soon

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Retriever Training Class Starting Soon

    Starting Saturday, Feb 22 the Alaska Working Retriever Club and the Retriever Club of Alaska will begin their annual retriever training classes. This will be every Saturday from 9-12 am, for 10 to 12 weeks. Cost will be $100 which includes the required membership in both clubs. This year, with Baron busy training his dogs in Texas, the class will be conducted by Steve McVeigh, who has over 10 years professional retriever training experience. The first couple classes will be held at a indoor facility off International, and after that, will be held in the valley near the valley regional hospital, about 45 min drive from Anchorage. The class will be split between beginner/puppy retrievers and what we refer to as transition or more advanced dogs. Dogs will be assigned to designated classes the first 2 weeks. New this year, in the transition class, there will be several assistant instructors, each in charge of their own set up. Participants will be able to move from one area to another and run their dog, without long waits for others. For example, on the same day and time, we may have a few dogs doing wagon wheel drills, baseball drills, double retrieves and triple retrieves. People can move freely from one group to another. Hope to see you all there, feel free to call me if questions or I will try and respond here. We will not be taking names for signing up until the day of the first class. MUCH MORE INFORMATION WILL FOLLOW. Bud 240 4090
    Wasilla

  • #2
    And for Interior folks!

    The Fairbanks Retriever Club will hold spring training classes March 16th-May 11th, 2014. Online registration or printable registration forms are available at http://www.fairbanksretrieverclub.org/classes.html Class size will be limited.

    The cost is $100 + cost of FRC membership. Membership is $30 single or $40 family. Sign up for membership separately at http://www.fairbanksretrieverclub.or...embership.html

    Retrievers must be 3 months or older (at the first class) with current vaccinations. Classes will be divided into two groups, both covering the same material. One dog per handler. We will be instructing the owner/handlers on the basics of starting your dog for hunting and field work. This includes basic obedience, teaching to retrieve, and preparing the dog for more advanced training. The outdoor sessions will include land and water work (if water is warm enough).

    Comment


    • #3
      Do the dogs have to be at least 3 months old for the class in the valley?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Blacklabs View Post
        Do the dogs have to be at least 3 months old for the class in the valley?
        I don't think you will get a lot out of the class with a younger dog, some very good pups will do well however. But the class lasts 2,5 months or a bit longer, they will catch on, and the training can be geared for you pup, but most of all, you will learn techniques to train your dog as he gets older. Bud
        Wasilla

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by akblackdawg View Post
          I don't think you will get a lot out of the class with a younger dog, some very good pups will do well however. But the class lasts 2,5 months or a bit longer, they will catch on, and the training can be geared for you pup, but most of all, you will learn techniques to train your dog as he gets older. Bud
          Yeah, I did this last year for our first time, and I'd say come with your dog anyway, not for his I mediated benefit, but for yours, which will turn into his long term be fit. I'll be there again this year with what will probably be the oldest dog in the group...again. Lol.

          Comment


          • #6
            Sometimes folks think these classes are drop-off-the-dog-for-someone-else-to-train --- NOT so! They're more for folks to learn how to/not to train their own dogs. Even if you don't have a dog, or have the oldest dog in the class, you can learn a lot.

            Karen

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by akblackdawg View Post
              Starting Saturday, Feb 22 the Alaska Working Retriever Club and the Retriever Club of Alaska will begin their annual retriever training classes. This will be every Saturday from 9-12 am, for 10 to 12 weeks. Cost will be $100 which includes the required membership in both clubs. This year, with Baron busy training his dogs in Texas, the class will be conducted by Steve McVeigh, who has over 10 years professional retriever training experience. The first couple classes will be held at a indoor facility off International, and after that, will be held in the valley near the valley regional hospital, about 45 min drive from Anchorage. The class will be split between beginner/puppy retrievers and what we refer to as transition or more advanced dogs. Dogs will be assigned to designated classes the first 2 weeks. New this year, in the transition class, there will be several assistant instructors, each in charge of their own set up. Participants will be able to move from one area to another and run their dog, without long waits for others. For example, on the same day and time, we may have a few dogs doing wagon wheel drills, baseball drills, double retrieves and triple retrieves. People can move freely from one group to another. Hope to see you all there, feel free to call me if questions or I will try and respond here. We will not be taking names for signing up until the day of the first class. MUCH MORE INFORMATION WILL FOLLOW. Bud 240 4090
              Hey Guys, anybody with a new retriever, or untrained dog, wild dog, etc shoud take advantage of this. Even if you don't have a dog yet, come and watch for free and learn the ropes. Starts up in just a couple weeks now. Will be different format then last few years. We will be running up to 4 different training setups at the same time for the transition dogs. No long waits to run your pup, you will get to run your dog several times in a morning session. First couple weeks will be indoors in Anchorage, then move outdoors as we can. If not sure, come a time or two for free and observe, try it out. You will find the lessons you learn here can be priceless in working with your retriever. Don't have to sign up early, just show up. Room for anybody who comes. Call me if you have questions. Bud 240 4090
              Wasilla

              Comment


              • #8
                The "indoor facility in Anchorage off International" What is the name of the place? If anyone knows an address would be helpful. I'm looking forward to this year. I have 2 young pups and am eager to learn, I am that is, we'l see how the pups do.

                Comment


                • #9
                  2014 Spring Training will start February 15th through April 19th* at Alyeska Canine Trainers at 8:30am.
                  The full program cost is $100.00, which includes membership to both Retriever Club of Alaska (RCA) and Alaska Working Retriever Club (AWRC). We are very excited about the changes we have in store for the classes this year. We will be having an evaluation to determine which dogs are beginners and which dogs are intermediate and advanced. This will ensure that they are put in the correct class which will have multi-staged training sessions so that you can move freely from one station to another without having long waiting periods in between. We are confident that this will help you and your dog get the most out of the training as possible. Once the weather allows, training will move outside and into the field where both you and your 4-legged family member prefers to work.
                  *NOTE: There will be no class meeting on March 1st and March 29th.
                  Alyeska Canine Trainers is located at:
                  549 W. International Airport Road Anchorage, AK 99518
                  Please cpntact JoAnne Hanscom with any questions at: skyelab90@gci.net

                  from AWR website http://alaskaworkingretrieverclub.co...nandevents.php

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Training class starts today at the warm indoor facility in Anchorage, read other posts here for details. Get out this morning or the 22nd, and see whats going on, take a look and observe or bring along your pup. I'm sure no problem with free the first time and see if its for you. See you there. Bud
                    Wasilla

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Retriever training going well, quite a few new faces there at both beginner and intermediate level. No training March 1, next session will be March 8 and will be outdoors in the valley. Times and exact location to be announced. Bud
                      Wasilla

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Bud haven't been able to make the first couple of class because of kids in wrestling can I show up on the eigth or is it to late is the price per person or dog I have three dogs but son and maybe wife will be with me Chris
                        Is it opening day of duck season yet
                        Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'll bring Skeeter.. Sounds great!
                          President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
                          http://akwaterfowl.com
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
                          AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
                          Gen.1:26
                          And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Yes, I am sure none will be turned away, and the outdoor training will be much more productive. These first 2 sessions were primarly for evaluation of the dogs, now the real training begins on the 8th. Bud
                            Wasilla

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Duke had a good time. We are looking forward working outdoors.
                              Living the Alaskan Dream
                              Gary Keller
                              Anchorage, AK

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X