Swan Lake low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swan Lake low

Took a ride Friday up Jim Creek to swan lake. Never been back there this early before. Was really surprised how low the water level is all over, Jim Creek lower then I've ever seen it, several logs across the creek to run over, the lake itself was also very low. No water at all past where the little string of islands comes out from the left shore. I'm sure this must be normal low water for early spring, but just seemed unusual for me. Bud
    Wasilla

Having conducted many early season trips and waterfowl habitat surveys in the area, I believe this is the norm until high country snow melt contributes.
    "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler

Comment

Originally posted by 68 Bronco View Post
      Having conducted many early season trips and waterfowl habitat surveys in the area, I believe this is the norm until high country snow melt contributes.
      Having watched a few ice cubes melt in my whiskey glass, I would have to agree. Up to a point...as soon as the ice melts, the water level begins to lower, due to gravity and evaporation.
      "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
      ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Comment

Originally posted by Akres View Post
        Having watched a few ice cubes melt in my whiskey glass, I would have to agree. Up to a point...as soon as the ice melts, the water level begins to lower, due to gravity and evaporation.
        Marvelous scientific contribution - now if we melt enough ice cubes in whiskey glasses we can double the size of Swan Lake ....

Comment

Originally posted by Akres View Post
          Originally posted by 68 Bronco View Post
          Marvelous scientific contribution - now if we melt enough ice cubes in whiskey glasses we can double the size of Swan Lake ....
          Hehehe, hey Akres, he means that the river and ground water levels are low until the snow higher up starts to melt and recharge the drainage. He's not talking about ice cubes in Swan Lake.

Down here our glacier fed creeks and rivers are still really low because the snow level is still at 1500-2000 ft. Once the warm rain moves in, they'll all jump.

Erich
          Good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions...
          http://alaskawaterfowlproducts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Heck, I thought Bronco's idea about raising Swan Lake by drinking whiskey was pretty good. We have agreed on something at last! :-)
            Mike
            Mike
            www.alaskaatvclub.org
            There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.:eek:

Comment

bump

Anyone been back there recently?

Comment

alright so all we have to do is have a waterfowler party at swan lake this late summer and catch silvers and drink whiskey and the lake will rise. its simple thermal dynamics...i am in
                I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
                but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

I think we would be better off just drinking a bunch of cheep beer. Everyones got to pee, am I right.
                  Shoot to kill, kill to eat!

http://adventuremongers.com/index.ph...id=40&catid=13

Comment

New up here but long time bird hunter, I'll do my part to drink provided beverages. Did mention new to here and not to hunting right? Surely don't think the new guy provides the booze or the solutions, only a warm body to assist and further current efforts. Excuse me, but I noticed the toilet was low.

Comment

Originally posted by luckydawg400 View Post
                      Anyone been back there recently?
                      Was back there this Thursday and the waters are up some, but still low compared to most other years. Did my bit to bring the levels up some in the spirit of this thread. roud:

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X