Preserving moose shed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preserving moose shed

Does anyone know any way to preserve a moose shed to keep it the same color that it is now.

Just keep it away from the sun and it will stay the same.If it has to go outside I don't think anything will keep it from sun bleach.

Comment

Originally posted by Kotton View Post
      Just keep it away from the sun and it will stay the same.If it has to go outside I don't think anything will keep it from sun bleach.
      Ditto, that is exactly what I was going to say.

Comment

Thank you I appreciate your feedback. it is just going to hang on my wall It is a large moose shed that I found in the middle of the road and that does not happen everyday so I wanted to make shire it doesn't deteriorate

Comment

If you find one that is bleached, you can eather stain it, OR, Vegitable oil works really good too, it brings back alot of the color.
          Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Kotton View Post

the rack of the moose in my siggy line (below) has not changed at all....ive kept it out of the sun, stored in my storage space when im between places, or dont have a place to put it (never really have yet lol)......so yea like Kotton said, keep it out of the sun and elements and away from the rodents and it should be fine...also you can stain them...call your local taxidermist and ask what he uses for the job....

Another thought: Ive always wondered if a thick layer of clear laquer would preserve it....another question to ask your taxidermist
            sigpic

Release Lake Trout

Comment

I was also wondering if a clear coat would preserve it ?

Comment

Originally posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
                Another thought: Ive always wondered if a thick layer of clear laquer would preserve it....another question to ask your taxidermist
                read my post below yours my friend...maybe you repeated my question....not sure but yes call and ask your local taxidermist if it would work...trust me he'll know.......
                sigpic

Release Lake Trout

Comment

Minwax pollyurathane works good as well, get it in the can and put a thin coat on, thats what i do
                  ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

Comment

Don't know if it would work or be economical but... superglue - a THIN coat, then buff after it dries, works wonders for knife handles made out of horn, antler or bone, maybe try a small test patch in an unnoticable area- it will make it a little shiny. The polyurethene would also do about the same I would think. I had a couple of mule deer sheds that I would wipe down with a mineral oil rag one or twice a year and seemed to work pretty good. A good taxidermist will be the best answer tho. Just my $.02.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X