Moose Skull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moose Skull

I just shot my first bull moose and want to have the skull cleaned. My ultimate goal is to do a European mount. My Dad is a wood worker and he has agreed to make the plaque, I just need to find someone in the Anchorage area to take care of the skull. I would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

Take it to Russel Knight over at Knight's Taxidermy. He does excellent work.
    Michael Strahan
    Site Owner
    Alaska Hunt Consultant
    1 (907) 229-4501

Comment

You can save yourself a little cash and do it yourself. It's pretty easy. The hardest part is finding containers large enough to hold a moose head. I use a large metal trash can for most of the process. First boil it down over an outdoor propane burner for about 2-3 hours. Remove meat, cartilage, brains, connective tissues etc. Second step is to soak the skull in Biz, which is an enzyme detergent for 3-4 days. After soaking, remove the skull and remove the remainder of the connective tissues. Third step is to soak the skull in hydrogen peroxide (good luck finding that at stores right now with Covid) for about 3-4 days. This will whiten the skull. Then use super glue to glue in the teeth that have fallen out. After the skull has whitened sufficiently to your taste, remove, dry, and paint the skull with diluted (50/50 water and elmer's glue or modge podge works better) glue. And then finally spray paint with lacquer.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I thought about doing it myself, but as this is my first moose, I wanted to make sure it was done right. I don’t have any of the materials or space to do it myself either.

I believe Knights is just down the road, so I will probably drop by and take a look at their work and hopefully drop it off.

Thanks!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
        Working...
        X