No announcement yet.

DIY European Mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time I ever did my own euro mounts I was 16 with a pair of javelina skulls. I simmered/scraped/simmered/scraped, and did a dawn soap simmer too. Hit it with the peroxide and called it good. Sure enough, a year later they were yellow, cheesy, and stinky. This time I soaked them for 2 weeks in gasoline and then allowed them to air dry for another month. Redid the peroxide and they are still perfect 11 years later.

Injun, I think you are completely fine to go back and redo whatever degreasing method you want

Comment

I've done them by boiling and maceration followed by a pressure washer. Much prefer maceration. With a moose I put it in a tote with the antler resting on the sides above the water line and drape a towel over the rest of the skull so water can wick up it and I also pour water over the towel from time to time. Let it sit for a couple months, pull it out and hit with pressure washer then bleach with 12% hydrogen peroxide cream.

Comment

Originally posted by ptarmigan View Post
        I simmered my caribou skull in dawn detergent, pressure washed, then the 40 volume treatment. After drying a few days I sealed it with some elmers/water mix. Cut out a plaque from some scrap live edge and put it up tonight. Pretty happy with it.
        Looks great! How did you attach the skull to the plaque?

Comment

Originally posted by injun joe View Post
          Looks great! How did you attach the skull to the plaque?

I used a 1/4" x 3" (might have been 4"?) toggle bolt, drilled through the plaque and anchored in the skull cavity. I didn't oversize the hole in the skull so it was a bit tricky threading the bolt into the toggle while holding it with some needle nose pliers. I also put a 3" woodscrew into the lower portion of the skull to stabilize it. It's super solid!

Comment

Where in Anchorage or Eagle River can you get the 40 volume peroxide?
            NRA life Member JVJ

Comment

Originally posted by akprideinvegas View Post
              Where in Anchorage or Eagle River can you get the 40 volume peroxide?
              40 volume is 12%. 50vol is 15%
              Sally's beauty supplying in ANC and valley carr 30,40&50 vol liquid and cream.

Univar in ANC has 30% and in large quantities.

Comment

I used a 1/4" x 3" (might have been 4"?) toggle bolt, drilled through the plaque and anchored in the skull cavity. I didn't oversize the hole in the skull so it was a bit tricky threading the bolt into the toggle while holding it with some needle nose pliers. I also put a 3" woodscrew into the lower portion of the skull to stabilize it. It's super solid!
                Thanks for the info! Would you be willing to post a photo of the plaque/skull interface looking in from the side?

I've never put them on a plaque, so this is helpful. Thanks again!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by injun joe View Post
                  Thanks for the info! Would you be willing to post a photo of the plaque/skull interface looking in from the side?

I've never put them on a plaque, so this is helpful. Thanks again!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Tapatalk
                  Hopefully this helps. You can't see the bottom screw because it's behind the teeth.

Comment

That helps. Thanks!

Comment

So did you just pre-drill the holes in the skull? How do you make sure to drill at the right angle? I'm almost to this stage and I'm a tad nervous to say the least. And you had to fish the toggle nut in through the hole into the brain cavity? This all seems like a tricky endeavor. Good job on yours!

Comment

I did pre-drill the holes in the skull but just eyeballed it. You will have enough play so when you tighten things down you can adjust it a bit. Feeding the toggle nut into the brain cavity with some needle nose pliers was a hassle but only took a couple of tries. It was a bit tricky.

Comment

I did pre-drill the holes in the skull but just eyeballed it. You will have enough play so when you tighten things down you can adjust it a bit. Feeding the toggle nut into the brain cavity with some needle nose pliers was a hassle but only took a couple of tries. It was a bit tricky.

Did you use any rubber washers to keep from cracking the bone when you tightened it?
                          Josh
                          Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Comment

I didn't use any washers but the toggle nut is big enough and the spread great enough I don't think I'll have any issues. The skull where I drilled is quite thick also. Pretty sure my kids could hang off of the whole works without moving it!

Comment

I didn't use any washers but the toggle nut is big enough and the spread great enough I don't think I'll have any issues. The skull where I drilled is quite thick also. Pretty sure my kids could hang off of the whole works without moving it!
                              LOL, good to know although i wouldn't recommend letting your kids hang off it... the next thing you'll see would be a rope over the antlers with the kids swinging back and forth.
                              Josh
                              Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Comment

I mounted it to the wall using a square metal electric box cover I had laying around. I cut out a channel with a dremel in the cover for the 3/8" lag bolt that I put in my wall. This way I could just slide the plaque right over the bolt. I had enough material in the plaque so I could use a speedbore to carve the channel in the wood behind the cover. Not wanting to take chances I did add two more screw holes to the cover. The last thing I added was a couple of thin sticky felt pads to the back of the plaque so it would stay put and not rub the wall. I know you can buy mounting brackets but I had the stuff and it wasn't going to cost me anything. It only took about 10 minutes to make it.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X