• Show
Clear All

• Staining Moose Antlers

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shawns Moose 2014.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	2514136

First time to post -- hope I'm doing it right.

My son took a nice bull moose early in the season and it still had shreds of velvet on the rack. We want to mount the rack. The specific question I have is how should we go about staining the white antlers to make them look like the rack from a bull taken later with it's natural colors? Thanks in advance for the advice.

This has been discussed quite a bit......may want to try a search.

Welcome to the forum....!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-Moose-Antlers
      Try this one.

Comment

Found a pic I had of a moose rack I did up that was pretty bleached out as well. All I did was mix up some different colors of plain old Minwax stain and experimented with on another old shed before applying. I think it turned out pretty nice.....

Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Rub it with tree branches, like the moose do. Nothing will look more natural than that, and it doesn't really take long.
          Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Welcome to our site! I moved this discussion to our Taxidermy and Trophy Care forum, so it will get more attention from our taxidermists.

-Mike
            Michael Strahan
            Site Owner
            Alaska Hunt Consultant
            1 (406) 662-1791

Comment

Thanks to all of you who took the time to give me some suggestions on staining/coloring my son's moose antlers. I really appreciate it. 4merguide, nice job on the rack you posted the picture of -- thanks for sharing. My son really liked the lighter tips/points.

Comment

some folks use brown shoe polish, just another idea for you.
                I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Comment

Potassium permanganate. Extremely inexpensive, very easy and highly effective. Just be prepared for a momentary shock when it goes on purple.

Those do look mighty sharp 4merguide. :topjob:

Comment

Originally posted by AK_Taxidermist View Post
                    Potassium permanganate. Extremely inexpensive, very easy and highly effective. Just be prepared for a momentary shock when it goes on purple.

Those do look mighty sharp 4merguide. :topjob:
                    What is the easiest mail order source for Potassium Permanaganate? have scoured Juneau and it does not exist in town as far as I can tell, I have a few bleached out racks that I would like to get more presentable.

Comment

Tough to ship its and Oxidizer. Check with your local water treatment plant or water purification company.

Comment

I purchase mine from Research Mannikins, a taxidermy supply company in Oregon. It's shipped in powder form in small plastic containers. You mix it with water. A little goes a LONG way.

http://rmi-online.com/catalogsearch/...ir=desc#page=1

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X