Painting antlers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting antlers?

I have a deer skull that sat in a bucket of water and rid X over the course of a winter and the base of the antlers turned black. I have painted the them with a wash of white latex and repaired a broken tip with two part putty. What paint or stain can I use to make them look original?

I use shoe polish wax type to color the antlers. seems to work well.

Comment

I used acrylic burnt umber and a little yellow initially.

Comment

The broken tip. Reconstructed tip.

Comment

Ready for sealer I think. Wish I had a before pic to show how bad it looked. Pic got turned sideways somehow?

Comment

I can't see the photos. But the use of the acrylic burnt umber is exactly what I would have done.

I do wonder if you had used some clairol simple white/hydrogen peroxide on the bases if they would have come white enough to to use a regular wood stain.
            Taxidermy IS art!
            www.alaskawildliferugs.com
            Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Comment

I've posted this before. I took a set of deer antlers that were completely bleached from hanging on a barn, and rubbed them with different varieties of tree branches. They look perfectly natural. Actually didn't take long either. I left some of the bark embedded at the base, just like it is when the deer do the rubbing.
              Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Not sure why pics didn't work. I tried the 40% hyd peroxide but it didn't phase the stain at all.

Comment

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X