Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where To Buy A Caribou Antler Panel Mount Kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• limon32
    replied
    That's a cool idea to use a burl! Going to have to keep my eyes out for one now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• scott_rn
    replied
    I'd find yourself a burl. I think Stid has some mounts done that way. I was a packer when this ram was harvested.

Leave a comment:

• JuliW
    replied
    http://www.walnutcreekhardwood.com/s...4ABFC6134E4ED3

Leave a comment:

• limon32
    replied
    Post pictures when you get done!

Leave a comment:

• Birdstrike
    replied
    Thanks for the replies. That's all good info.

Leave a comment:

• limon32
    replied
    VanDykes.com has been great for me, I picked up some shed connectors and various other things from them, reasonable shipping and great customer service.

Leave a comment:

• Frostbitten
    replied
    Another option, rather than plaster or sculpt a mold is a can of Great Stuff (spray on foam insulation). Just spray it on and let it expand/cure, then trim /sculpt it with a knife and sand paper and cover it with leather or felt. It's considerably lighter than plaster.

Leave a comment:

• 4merguide
    replied
    Oh and one thing to think about when doing caribou horns. Personally I don't care for antler mounts that just get put on a plain flat plaque and hung on a wall because they don't hang at all like the would on the animal. Instead, I think it's really nice when they are mounted on a plaque more horizontally where they can hang on, but away from the wall, kinda like a small pedestal so they will tip back up, and back, to make them look more like they would if they were resting on the head of the caribou. Even on a moose rack, with a flat plaque they don't hang like they would on the moose. But with a caribou it's even more accentuated with the big sweeping arch they have to them. Just something to think about......

Leave a comment:

• 4merguide
    replied
    You should be able to find the stuff to do it all yourself at either a hobby shop, home depot, or a sporting goods store. Many sporting good stores sell plaques with velvet and such. I bought some stuff called "sculpt-a-mold" at the local hobby store. I also built the plaque myself out of oak, but I've seen ready made plaques at Home Depot and hobby stores. All I did was cut a piece of 3/4 ply and bolt it to the scull cap. Then use the sculpt-a-mold (like plaster of paris) to make up the mold all around the scull cap. Then bolt the plaque to the plywood and install a upside down type "V" bracket to catch a nail or screw on the wall. Then last I wrapped the mold with some leather and braided some strips of leather to trim out the form. Pretty easy really.....
    One

Leave a comment:

• Where To Buy A Caribou Antler Panel Mount Kit?

I'm thinking that panel mounting my smallish bull caribou antlers would be a good wintertime project for my two boys and I. Where would you suggest buying the supplies locally (Anchorage) or online? We already have a big bull that my wife shot professionally shoulder mounted and a bull that one of my sons shot European mounted. Until/if one of us take s a bigger bull I'll just stick to a simple panel mount.

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X