Thinking about getting a new gun.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about getting a new gun.

Here is the deal, I am a kid, so I never have a bunch of money to spend on a gun (maybe 350 tops)

I was looking into the 17 HMR (180 bucks average, bolt action, very plain, but I don't care) My grandpa has the same one, and I really like it. BUT, I want a multi purpose gun, and I've seen what a 17 HMR does to squirrels and grouse.

SO, I was thinking about teh 17 HM2, What would the max effective range be on that?

But, my 32 is getting really old and the rifleing are getting screwed up, So I was looking at the negants (sp?) (7.62X54r) My understanding is they are inbetween the -06 and the 308, I know the 308 is a popular coyote and fox round, so, what would a FMJ outta the 7.62 do to a fox? (plus it has open sights, I HATE scopes)

OR, I was thinking about the 243, now, a 243 puts out more energy at 300 yards than my 32 does at 200, and it puts out 1200Ft Lbs of energy at 200 yards, SO, I would be using it for moose, caribou and bears.

I currently am hunting with a 1100 that I shoot slugs and buckshot out of, but I would love to get a new gun, all my own!

What are you guyses thoughts?

is there any other round that would be a good MULTI purpose round? Mainly I am looking for a prredator rifle, but I would love to be able to use it for big game.

I am also looking for one that can effectivly take predators out to 150 yards. last fall I called in a few fox, and seen some running, at 100-150 yards, never got any closer and a 22 LR just don't cut it for that range!

Thanks in advance!
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Oh, I forgo to mention the 22 MAG. I was also looking into that for the wide range of bullets.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Comment

if you are looking for somthing for predators and possibly big game i would recomend the 243 50gr or so fmj. the 204 would be a good choise also. when it comes to fox and stuff the 17 or the 22mag is the way to go.
      “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Comment

Thanks! I am leaning towards the 22 mag (over the 17, more bullet selections)) in a single shot

Comment

Savage stevens model 200 in .22-250 or a similar Savage Axis(formerly edge). They run around $300 or $375(SMwarehouse) with a mounted scope.
          Super accurate, respectable, inexpensive guns, with easily inter-changed barrels. The caliber will be good for a young/new shooter, too.
          They are available in .243 or .223, also. (If you want a .223, get an AR.)
          Good luck, your askin' the right questions...
          "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Comment

I would look at the 25-06 that is a great rifle for an all around gun you can load it down and take predators and they also pack enough punch to take out a moose if you wanted to. I have a friend that uses one for bear and elk down in the states and he swears by it. I seen him take a backie last year and dropped it on the spot. I took my first moose with a 243 and they work but now i would prefer something a little bigger especially if you want to shoot a big moose, and I wouldnt think twice about taking either a moose or coyote with the 25-06 just have to use the right bullets for each.

Comment

Originally posted by tailwind View Post
              Savage stevens model 200 in .22-250 or a similar Savage Axis(formerly edge). They run around $300 or $375(SMwarehouse) with a mounted scope.
              Super accurate, respectable, inexpensive guns, with easily inter-changed barrels. The caliber will be good for a young/new shooter, too.
              They are available in .243 or .223, also. (If you want a .223, get an AR.)
              Good luck, your askin' the right questions...
              Thanks! my brother has the edge,

Could I get a new barrel in, say, 243?

BTW, I couldn't afford an AR.

Would a 22-250 be good for hunting at all?

Comment

.22-250 posts energy numbers similar to a .243. It uses bullets in the 40-70 grain weight, at velocities from 3300-4000 fps. That being said, the .22-250 would not be as effective as a .243 on medium game(deer).

You could easily get a new barrel on that action, either from a gunsmith or the factory. I would only do that if the old one needs to be replaced, if it is in good condition, just go buy a new one in the caliber you like and have 2 guns! Even better!
                Many wildcatters buy this action for rebarreling.
                "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Comment

What about a 25 wssm or a 25-06?

Comment

223, 22-250, 243, 7mm-08, 308, 25-06, 270, and 30-06 are available in the Axis(edge). Some are short action, some are long. Something for everyone there. I would definitely recommend the 25-06 if you have your eye on it. Has the edge on the .22-250 and the .243 for larger game.
                    The .270 would be good choice, too. 3000 ft/lbs of energy is a serious cartridge. Big Bear medicine there. Depends on what you want.

Comment

how about a .220 swift?

personally i hunt with a 30-06....with it you can handle anything in alaska and even shoot light fmj's for minumum damage to fur animals.....
                      sigpic

Release Lake Trout

Comment

I am looking for a "do it all" cartrige, I wasnt to hunt moose and bears with it and shoot fox and coyotes too, (with little fur damage)

I am starting to think about getting a 17 HMR or 22 MAG and a negant......

Comment

the advantage to a, say, 243, would be I could carry lighter bullets when I am hunting moose, and if I see a fox (and I usually see quite a few fox every year) I could drop a shell or 2 of the lighter ones in there and pop it.

or, in the spring, I could take along a few heavy bullets for when I'm fox hunting, and if I saw a bear, I could go after it.

Comment

My kids started out with a .243. My son has taken 2 moose with it, and he and my daughter have taken several caribou with it, and I've taken coyotes with it with very little pelt damage. I like that choice. But if you're changing bullet weights around, just make sure you know what each do so you can compensate.

Comment

Furfishgame,

I recently went through this. 223, 22-250, 243 debate myself. Bought a 22-250 a couple years ago for predators. Then I began wondering if I wouldn't be better served shooting lightweight 243 stuff for varmints (55 grain or the ilk) and 100 grain for caribou and moose, and deer.

I bought a Marlin XS7 in .243, which can be had for just over $300 with a simple scope or less if you buy yourself a different scope. Anyways it puts 58 grain Hornday V-Max's inside .75" in 3 shot groups at 200 yards so hard to argue with the accuracy of that $300 gun. I know the savages can be had for a similar price and they are known for their accuracy at a great value price as well.

Being not too far removed from the poor high school/college kid game if you would like to meet up this weekend and shoot my 243 I'd be more than happy to let ya, planning on heading to the range anyways. I also have a couple spare $50-$60 scopes with rings that I would just give ya once ya found what rifle you wanted to get ya started.

Good luck in your search.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X