Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AlaskaCub
    replied
    Great pics Mark! Man when the temps dropped out on us all I could think about was your post about the chimney catching fire and what you were enduring and thinking about how hardy you have to be to live your lifestyle. Its simply incomprehensible to soo many these days to live that lifestyle.

You get much respect from this guy!

Leave a comment:

• Kusko
    replied
    Originally posted by Kusko View Post
    Bushrat, you should post some pics and a tutorial for your marten sets. There are a lot of new trappers that could learn from them.
    Dang, I was hoping to pick up a tip or two. Our new area has a decent number of marten.

Leave a comment:

• bushrat
    replied
    Mike,

I really like the pot sets. Like you said, no bycatch (occassional squirrel, plenty of mink which is fine) of jays or other birds. Snow doesn't get in them and prevent them from working. You can set them lower down on trees if you get a lot of refusals and make a trip pole to raise the marten up. The drawback is having to carry extra 120s and there is some fur damage when they are caught behind shoulders.

Marten came back after fires (2004 and 2005) very fast, along with the huge vole increase. I'd say two years afterward was a big change in densities. Same with voles...you hike around in the burned areas and hear them chirping everywhere and see huge vole colonies. Hares are still fairly good, no lynx here...just not as many big willow bars and beaver pond areas here...get down on lower river and they are there and closer you get to Yukon the more there are.

-41 here this morn, back to normal temps again, oh boy.
    Best,

Leave a comment:

• martentrapper
    replied
    I never liked the pot sets. But they are definately more weather proof. Seemed like I got more refusals with them. Used to trap a fairly windy area, much of which was old burn. Wind went thru there regularly and tradional pole sets worked well. No jays either. Pot sets sure cut down the jay catches, pesky things. Have used newspaper box sets on angled pole. Liked them but jays would get in them too.
    Have trapped places in past where I would detach dogs from sled and go over bank, then reattach line and dogs to sled. Needed a trained leader for that. Dogs vs snogos.........always a good discussion.
    Has the regrowth after fire increased the marten numbers yet? You have mentioned high rabbit numbers in your first years there. Could some of the fire regrowth bring rabbits and lynx trapping is in your future. Careful how you answer cuz by then Kusko might be looking for a new lynx line..............he's addicted! Haha.

Leave a comment:

• Fishonaustyn
    replied
    Sweet Pic's

Sweet pictures looks fun and a four-wheeler would have had a little trouble getting up that without getting stuck.

Thanks for Sharing
    Austyn

Leave a comment:

• broncoformudv
    replied
    Thanks for sharing your pics and the glimpse in to your life Mark! Glad you all are getting a break from that really cold stuff but I am sure the cruddy trail conditions are no fun either.

Leave a comment:

• johnscd
    replied
    Love seeing the pics!!! Be sure to post wolverine pics if you get one. No otter out your way????

Leave a comment:

• Kusko
    replied
    Bushrat, you should post some pics and a tutorial for your marten sets. There are a lot of new trappers that could learn from them.

Leave a comment:

• bushrat
    replied
    Jeff,

Mostly trap marten so that is what I get most of. They are easy to trap. Some mink as well that we tan here to use ourselves. Occassional fox and wolverine. Haven't been hardly any wolves around last few years. Wolves are probably the hardest to trap using traps. Snaring is easier imo.

Don't make it to town much, usually send out or bring in fur in February and sell locally in Fbks. It's getting harder for trappers who live remote to get fur to auctions in time, and prices you get locally can be half as much as auction, even less. We're taking a big hit that way.

Leave a comment:

• akursus
    replied
    Mark,

Thanks for sharing photo's of what real Alaska is all about. It's a great educational tool for Outsiders to learn from.
    Now, a couple of questions for ya.
    What types of critters do you get the most?
    What critters are the hardest to trap?
    How often do you trade in your furs?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Leave a comment:

• bushrat
    replied
    Steve, haven't sent fur in yet

Steve, be interested in how the auction pans out and what prices are doing. I'll be bringing mine in in February.

Leave a comment:

• F-16Pointy
    replied
    Mark awesome pictures once again.

Leave a comment:

• northway
    replied
    Nice

Great pictures Mark! Love that sled hanging up on the cut bank! Thanks for sharing!

Leave a comment:

• choked
    replied
    Mark, Great Stuff as usual! Looks like it is probably one of the loves of your life but it must be an enormous amount of work!

Leave a comment:

• trailblazersteve
    replied
    I can never see your pics here at work either Bushrat but always look forward to viewing them at home! I'll check them out tonight and post some updated pics of my line also. Did you send any fur into the first auction. I took a gamble and sent my cats in(keeping fingers crossed).

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X