X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Trappers Code Of Ethics

The Trappers' Code of Ethics
    A Trapper's Responsibility

1. Respect the other trapper's “grounds” — particularly brushed, maintained traplines with a history of use.

2. Check traps regularly.

3. Promote trapping methods that will reduce the possibility of catching nontarget animals.

4. Obtain landowners' permission before trapping on private property.

5. Know and use proper releasing and killing methods.

6. Develop set location methods to prevent losses.

7. Trap in the most humane way possible.

8. Dispose of animal carcasses properly.

9. Concentrate trapping in areas where animals are overabundant for the supporting habitat.

10. Promptly report the presence of diseased animals to wildlife authorities.

11. Assist landowners who are having problems with predators and other furbearers that have become a nuisance.

12. Support and help train new trappers in trapping ethics, methods and means, conservation, fur handling, and marketing.

13. Obey all trapping regulations, and support strict enforcement by reporting violations.

14. Support and promote sound furbearer management.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

*****sticky****** +1
    Last edited by ret25yo; 11-20-2008, 14:08. Reason: rep added
    sigpic
    If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Comment

ret, yup, David said he would sticky it when he gets a chance... Thank you!
      "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Comment

Trapper Ethics

Good reminder! Unfortunately, I think some of the trappers out there today can't read or have very poor comprehension. The good ones already know and follow this.

Comment

I have poor comprehension. Could someone please help?
          #2. How often do I need to check my traps to meet the definition of "regularly"?
          #5. What methods of "killing" are proper?
          #7. What ways of trapping are the "most humane"?
          #9. How do I find these areas of "overabundance"? How far from home is reasonable to travel to reach these areas? Can I trap areas where furbearers aren't "overabundant"?
          #14. What is "sound" furbearer management and how do I support it?

Thanks for any help.
          I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
          I have less friends now!!

Comment

Originally posted by martentrapper View Post
            I have poor comprehension. Could someone please help?
            #2. How often do I need to check my traps to meet the definition of "regularly"?
            #5. What methods of "killing" are proper?
            #7. What ways of trapping are the "most humane"?
            #9. How do I find these areas of "overabundance"? How far from home is reasonable to travel to reach these areas? Can I trap areas where furbearers aren't "overabundant"?
            #14. What is "sound" furbearer management and how do I support it?

Thanks for any help.
            Don't worry MT, you just need a little experience & time afield & it will become clear...:topjob:
            Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
            "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Comment

I'm not a trapper but have some "ethical" questions that maybe someone could answer: Is going two weeks without checking your traps considered regularly? If you come across a trap with a live animal in it what should you do?

Comment

In extreme circumstances 2 weeks isn't ideal and should be avoided if possible but when weather gets extreme your own personal safety should take the priority.
                If you find a live animal in a trap you leave it alone! Doing anything to it is illegal
                meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Comment

My dilemma stems from being a hunter as our code of ethics states that: “they do not want to wound the animal or lose the animal to a slow death.”

The trapper’s code of ethics states to “trap in the most humane way possible” which to me is an oxymoron as how can you say that subjecting an animal to a slow death by hanging from a trap and dying over the course of several hours or several days is humane defies logic, but that is another discussion.

Given those two moral dilemmas, is knowing that someone has not checked their traps in a couple of weeks when the conditions have been favorable is it ever humane or ethical to release a live animal, or perhaps dispatch it, from a trap that you’ve come upon?

Comment

Originally posted by bigram View Post
                    ...is knowing that someone has not checked their traps in a couple of weeks when the conditions have been favorable is it ever humane or ethical to release a live animal, or perhaps dispatch it, from a trap that you’ve come upon?
                    Whether it is "humane or ethical" to release or dispatch an animal from a trap that doesn't belong to you is beside the point that it is illegal. I have on more than one occasion come upon a wolf in a leg hold trap where it was obvious the animal had been in the trap for several days...The best you can do, legally, is go home and tell the trapper to get his lazy ass out there and dispatch his animals.
                    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

As an ethical and responsible trapper (and I think most of my fellow trappers fit that same description), i take exception to "...taiga's" comment about "tell the trapper to get his lazy ass out there and dispatch his animals.". Who are you to assume the trapper is lazy and brand him/her as such, when you have no idea of the frequency of the checks or circumstances surrounding a particular line. The majority of trappers are far from lazy and if you are a trapper and have experienced the amount of work that goes into a trapping season, then it is unfathomable to me how you could utter such a statement. Remember, "Judge not, lest ye be judged".

Comment

Originally posted by bigram View Post
                        My dilemma stems from being a hunter as our code of ethics states that: “they do not want to wound the animal or lose the animal to a slow death.”

The trapper’s code of ethics states to “trap in the most humane way possible” which to me is an oxymoron as how can you say that subjecting an animal to a slow death by hanging from a trap and dying over the course of several hours or several days is humane defies logic, but that is another discussion.

Given those two moral dilemmas, is knowing that someone has not checked their traps in a couple of weeks when the conditions have been favorable is it ever humane or ethical to release a live animal, or perhaps dispatch it, from a trap that you’ve come upon?

Hours? Days? I suggest familiarizing yourself a bit more with trapping before stating stuff like this online. It's inaccurate and brings negative and unnecessary attention to what we do.

If you see someone else's trap, leave it alone. It's illegal to mess with it. If you spend a lot of time in that area, get to know the trapper. He may be there more often than you think and I'm sure he'd love to know something was in his trap. Talk to the trapper before you go to any drastic measures - as Spike said - you don't know his situation.
                        Originally posted by AGL4now
                        Discovered that prayer helps sometimes. Also what a penis sheath looks like a few inches from my forehead.

Comment

Originally posted by spike9542003@yahoo.com View Post
                          As an ethical and responsible trapper (and I think most of my fellow trappers fit that same description), i take exception to "...taiga's" comment about "tell the trapper to get his lazy ass out there and dispatch his animals.". Who are you to assume the trapper is lazy and brand him/her as such, when you have no idea of the frequency of the checks or circumstances surrounding a particular line. The majority of trappers are far from lazy and if you are a trapper and have experienced the amount of work that goes into a trapping season, then it is unfathomable to me how you could utter such a statement. Remember, "Judge not, lest ye be judged".
                          Take exception if you must, Sir, but this plays both ways. Who are you to assume that I don't regularly run the same trails as the trapper, know the country as well as he, and know how long it had been since he ran that particular line? In both cases I referred to, I knew when the trails were last used, could tell how long the animals had been in those traps, and was easily able to find out who the trappers were (even though the lines were not signed by either trapper) and bring the animals to their attention. I can say unequivocally that nothing but sloth prevented the checking of these trap lines. I'm not by any means against trapping, but I also know from experience that virtuosity among the trapping community is in reality not nearly so high as some would claim it to be.
                          ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                          I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                          The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Originally posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
                            Hours? Days? I suggest familiarizing yourself a bit more with trapping before stating stuff like this online. It's inaccurate and brings negative and unnecessary attention to what we do.

If you see someone else's trap, leave it alone. It's illegal to mess with it. If you spend a lot of time in that area, get to know the trapper. He may be there more often than you think and I'm sure he'd love to know something was in his trap. Talk to the trapper before you go to any drastic measures - as Spike said - you don't know his situation.
                            My comments were completely accuarate, as previously stated I was familiar with the area and know from the recent snowfall and tracks in the area to have a pretty good idea the last time someone was by there. Whatever the trapper's situation may be if you can't check your traps on a "regular" basis get out of the game.

Comment

All i can say is if it is not yours do not touch it. If you get caught dispatching the animal while the trapper shows up. I guarantee you will have a problem and it will not be a good one. As tempting as it may be it is better to avoid any legal problems. If it still bothers you when you get home you can always call the troopers and they will go and investigate and decide what is ethical trapping and what isn't.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X