Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Trapping Anchorage area

I decided to get into trapping for another hobby. I had a life-changing health event and I think trapping would be good for me. I am not looking to become a serious trapper. This will be rehab for me and something I can do at my pace and get out and enjoy the outdoors again. I would like to get a few lynx and make the hat I always wanted. Lynx and martin I would like to trap. I just joined the ATA. Any advice would be great. Not looking for secret spots, but I don't want to wander into people areas also.
    Thank you
    Merry Christmas
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Alaska Trappers Manual, Alaska Department of Fish and Game

Here is a great aid to have for the beginner. Gave mine to someone.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Gray View Post
      I decided to get into trapping for another hobby. I had a life-changing health event and I think trapping would be good for me. I am not looking to become a serious trapper. This will be rehab for me and something I can do at my pace and get out and enjoy the outdoors again. I would like to get a few lynx and make the hat I always wanted. Lynx and martin I would like to trap. I just joined the ATA. Any advice would be great. Not looking for secret spots, but I don't want to wander into people areas also.
      Thank you
      Merry Christmas
      I just joined this fall as well. My four year old force ld me too. We attended the banquet this week and won a few snares and small foothold trap (size 0 I think).

I don't have any recommendations but wanted to just say Hi as a fellow new ATA member.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by clarktar View Post
        I just joined this fall as well. My four year old force ld me too. We attended the banquet this week and won a few snares and small foothold trap (size 0 I think).

I don't have any recommendations but wanted to just say Hi as a fellow new ATA member.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
        Hi and looking forward to the next ATA banquet. I'm making some snares as will make some short box traps for 120's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Living the Alaskan Dream
        Gary Keller
        Anchorage, AK

Comment

Well hunting and trapping are quite different in the level of casualness that can be used to approach them. It's easy to go out and hunt a couple hours every now and again but trapping is a commitment. As soon as traps are set there is a moral and legal obligation to be serious about it until traps are pulled. To have success a lot of work must be put in and a lot of knowledge gained. First you have to learn the rules associated with trapping and not just the ones in the summary booklet, there are area specific rule instituted by the Municipality of Anchorage and the Mat-Su bourogh. Next you need to learn the habits and habitats of the target critters and learn the sets that are effective at taking that critter while excluding non-target species. Next you have to find a spot that is not all ready being trapped, has a trappable population of the target species and is in an area with limited to no chance of user conflict, specificly with dog owners (i.e avoid setting near multi-use trails and trailheads). You must also make sure you have the time available to check and maintain traps on a regular and timely basis. To sum it up, no matter the intent, trapping is a job, albeit an incredibly fun job, and must be approached as such. And above all else remember that "out of sight, out of mind" when making sets where the non-trapping public recreates.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradchrist View Post
            Well hunting and trapping are quite different in the level of casualness that can be used to approach them. It's easy to go out and hunt a couple hours every now and again but trapping is a commitment. As soon as traps are set there is a moral and legal obligation to be serious about it until traps are pulled. To have success a lot of work must be put in and a lot of knowledge gained. First you have to learn the rules associated with trapping and not just the ones in the summary booklet, there are area specific rule instituted by the Municipality of Anchorage and the Mat-Su bourogh. Next you need to learn the habits and habitats of the target critters and learn the sets that are effective at taking that critter while excluding non-target species. Next you have to find a spot that is not all ready being trapped, has a trappable population of the target species and is in an area with limited to no chance of user conflict, specificly with dog owners (i.e avoid setting near multi-use trails and trailheads). You must also make sure you have the time available to check and maintain traps on a regular and timely basis. To sum it up, no matter the intent, trapping is a job, albeit an incredibly fun job, and must be approached as such. And above all else remember that "out of sight, out of mind" when making sets where the non-trapping public recreates.
            Good info.
            I agree . Since it looks like I will be retiring my commitment will be there.
            I will have time on my hands allot.

What I'm looking for is a small pocket book for tracks. To learn what tracks are. Now I now lynx tracks are but the smaller critters are I not familiar with right now. Just a good quick reference.

Agree I do not want to step on anyone toes trapping and being in bowl in Anchorage that can be pretty hard.

I have been watching videos on where to find lynx and Martin. Where to find them. What traps for them.

Also been watching video on how to build snare and how to set them.

Been reading state regarding on trapping.
            You mentioned Anchorage and Matsu. I appreciate your comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Living the Alaskan Dream
            Gary Keller
            Anchorage, AK

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
            Working...
            X