Spring vs. Fall Beaver Fur Quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring vs. Fall Beaver Fur Quality

I've been wanting to get a few more beaver to have some hats made for my boys and myself, and was thinking of putting out some traps later this week. My previous successful beaver trapping was in late fall. What are folks thoughts on when it is more preferable to trap beaver? I recall a previous discussion where someone mentioned that they bite on each other during the spring mating season. Does this make their fur noticeably uneven, or is it a small difference? Not looking to win a fashion competition with these hats, just want something that keeps us warm - but wouldn't mind if the hats I pass to the boys look reasonably nice as well. Thanks for any advice!

Hey Brian, first of all I should tell you that I don't trap a lot of beaver. My primary trapping location is dominated by black and white spruce so needless to say the beavers are scarce at best. And the areas that I trap locally are pretty much all trapped out for beaver. That being said, I've done a lot of reading up on them and talked to a lot of my friends who are trappers and what they tell me is once the beavers start to come out of the ice in the spring time, their hides start to get bleached by the sun and are of lesser quality than when they are in their prime in the winter time under the ice.

Comment

Yeah, I'm sure that winter is best, but I'm almost certainly going to target them in spring or late fall. I'm not selling them, so not terribly concerned about prime color for marketing reasons.

Comment

If you can get them in the fall before freeze up ( easier than chopping ice) they have nice fur....of course primetime is Feb....but Spring can be ok...the later it gets the more dense fur you lose...plus you’ll have bite holes to sew up in the spring beaver.

Comment

Originally posted by nessmuck View Post
          If you can get them in the fall before freeze up ( easier than chopping ice) they have nice fur....of course primetime is Feb....but Spring can be ok...the later it gets the more dense fur you lose...plus you’ll have bite holes to sew up in the spring beaver.
          Thanks for the feedback. Its looking like other springtime pursuits are taking priority anyhow, so well try to get a few in October or November instead.

Comment

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
            Working...
            X