Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Random Question, you catch.. you skin.. then??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Question, you catch.. you skin.. then??

So I'm gonna do a bit of trapping this winter, for otter, marten and mink which there are a ton of around here. Gonna get a bunch of traps from my buddy and practice sets with him up in Chugiak then come back down here and see what I can do and get some exercise and hopefully sell some fur... So after you catch and skin your marten (or whatever) I assume you try to get as much fat/ flesh off it as you can (fleshing?) then can you just salt it? Do you have to get it tanned (not sure the dorms would be down with me running a tanning operation lol)? Who do you sell it too?

Thanks
    Patrick
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

HUH,,,WOW..I had to look twice at the name of above poster.

Comment

alot more to it

set, catch, skin, flesh, board, dry, then sell to furbuyer. DON'T salt them.

Comment

Originally posted by danthedewman1 View Post
        HUH,,,WOW..I had to look twice at the name of above poster.
        x2 I think I felt the earth shift on its axis a bit!
        Next he will post a pic of his bear bait stand, and be asking for info on the best taxidermist for a BB rug. Very interesting to watch the slow transition. Good luck with the trapping AKPM

Comment

You may want to talk to another trapper in the area through (maybe the Alaska Trapper's Association) or get a freezer so that you don't have to dry skins in your dorm (might not go over well). If you freeze them you will have a little more leeway when you do the rest of the work.
          Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Comment

Ask around and you might be able to find someone local who will buy them green (skinned but nothing else done to the fur).

Comment

Monkey, I assume from previous statements you've made on here that you will be eating the flesh of the critters you catch........eh? Surely you don't differentiate between game animals and fur animals? There must be some marten recipes out thetre somewhere!
              Stop by the Alaska Fur Exchange on Tudor and talk to the owner. He should be able to steer you to sources of info about what to do with your fur, and other info you may want. I would also suggest joining and going to the Southcentral ATA meetings.
              Be sure when you find a place to trap your not stepping on someone elses toes..........and of course the ultimate ethical person you are will surely be an ethical trapper?
              Call Rick Sinnot ad F&G, he is a BIG supporter of trapping, and I'm sure will welcome you to trapping around Anch.
              I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
              I have less friends now!!

Comment

thanks for the imput... My next question is, what is there to do with the carcasses of your catch (I assume most just feed the foxes)?
                I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Comment

AKPM you can eat them, even fox

Ask bushrat, he even eats the fox. PM him AKPM.

Comment

Originally posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
                    thanks for the imput... My next question is, what is there to do with the carcasses of your catch (I assume most just feed the foxes)?
                    NO NO NO, if "you" are going to trap, with all of your previous rhetoric, I would only assume that you are going to eat it.

Comment

Guys, can we please leave the personal comments out of it? The guy is asking for help. Thanks to those that have offered it without the additional remarks.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian M View Post
                        Guys, can we please leave the personal comments out of it? The guy is asking for help. Thanks to those that have offered it without the additional remarks.
                        Brian, i am serious, Bushrat DOES eat everything he catches, except wolves i think. I meant it, when i said AKPM should contact him.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian M View Post

Why is ok for him to do it and now I can't give it back?

Comment

I know,,i dont get that either..Hes a big boy,,he can take a joke ,or a good ribbing too.

Comment

Yes, I'm sure he can take a joke. But you must admit that sometimes the comments directed at others on the forums have gone beyond joking. I didn't delete anything, I'm just asking for civility. This seems like a great opportunity to show someone what is great about trapping. Instead of pointing out prior inconsistencies, maybe our efforts would be better spent helping someone out. That's all I'm asking.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X