Coyote Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coyote Advice

I'll admit that I'm an amateur predator hunter at best. I've dabbled in it for years. Mostly learned a lot by mistakes made rather than successes gained. I recently got permission to hunt property in a location that I feel holds good promise for coyotes. I did a little bit of scouting and found plenty of sign for coyotes. Just wondering a couple things and I would like to get some advice from some of the expert coyote predator hunters out there.

Question #1) How late is too late for coyote hunting? March? April? May? And why?

Question #2) When are the best times for coyote hunting this time of year? Early mornings? Late evenings? In the middle of the night?

Question #3) What are the best calls/vocalizations to use this time of year? Animal in distress calls? Coyote vocalizations because of the mating season? Scavenger calls (magpies, ravens etc.)?

Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I'll admit that I'm an amateur predator hunter at best. I've dabbled in it for years. Mostly learned a lot by mistakes made rather than successes gained. I recently got permission to hunt property in a location that I feel holds good promise for coyotes. I did a little bit of scouting and found plenty of sign for coyotes. Just wondering a couple things and I would like to get some advice from some of the expert coyote predator hunters out there.

Question #1) How late is too late for coyote hunting? March? April? May? And why?
    Answer..... its never to late or to early, you can Hunt yr round.... think about it, those Dawgs Hunt 24/7 365.

Question #2) When are the best times for coyote hunting this time of year? Early mornings? Late evenings? In the middle of the night?
    Answer..... again, any time that works for you.... and as you go, you'll figure it out.

Question #3) What are the best calls/vocalizations to use this time of year? Animal in distress calls? Coyote vocalizations because of the mating season? Scavenger calls (magpies, ravens etc.)
    Answer...... All of the above, and add a Remote Controlled "Visual-Toy" to your bag of tricks......?
    Ok, there you go, I started Hunting/Trapping Dawgs about 1962-63 or there abouts, I grew up on a 7,000 Acre Cattle Ranch in the N. West Nevada, S. Oregon, N. Calif. Border Area, the High Desert Country...... ie... Google Sheldon Antelope Range N. Nevada.
    TG:topjob:
    [ USMC 1st Marine Div. 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi ] :topjob:

Comment

Wow, I thought there were a lot more experienced predator hunters on this forum than just German. Oh well, thanks for the input German.

Comment

Maybe we all too ashamed to admit what poor coyote hunters we are. Those suckers are smarter than I am. In my area they are almost exclusively nocturnal. In the last 10 yrs or so hunting them and being in the outdoors here a LOT, I finally saw one this past fall before the snow came during day light hours. One other winter I saw one in the day.
        I would have answered all 3 questions just like the German. Why not hunt them all year? (If open like here). The limiting factor for me is when the leaves come out. Really tough hunting them critters w/o even more cover for them to sneak around in. Plus that is usually prime bear hunt time.
        One comment I would make for chasing them this time of year... less dark (cover) for them, less available hunting time for them, more hungry/desperate coyotes are. Also March-April is mating/pupping time. Id use that advantage.
        Calls/calling... I like rabbit calls for sure. I like magpie/raven calls thrown in. I like female invitation yote calls in spring months. But most folks will tell u I think, u just never know which call is gonna be the one. You can run through 5-6 diff calls and all of a sudden u hit a yote sound that they respond to. Never hear yotes respond vocally here in daylight hours here. You wait till just at dark tho and sometimes u can really lite them up. Forms, it seems, they are just telling me,....yeah we know/knew u were there. Were over here laughing at u.
        I think Ive only taken 3 in all these years hunting predators. Maybe missed shots on 5-6(?). They got my respect man!
        Heck, Ive taken 2 wolves in that time and missed another at least 3 shots on them! Missed one first time out calling last Nov. No snow. Two dogs w me. Rabbit calls 3 min. Big wolf comes bounding in the weeds from behind me. 40 feet. 2 shots. Wolf runs off. Grrrrrrr.!

Comment

I usually stop calling coyotes around March, and I find the best times is early morning and evenings. Thats unless there is a clear sky with a full moon and then I'd hunt all night. I find coyotes to be the easiest to call and react the quickest. Usually 10-15 mins per set and move. If your in a area with cats or wolves then longer set can pay off as they are slower to come in. If your seeing fresh sign of coyotes they will come almost all the time. Whether you see them or not, depending on your visibility. Like most critters they they try get down wind. I find up here the population is pretty low so success if much more difficult. My go to call is rabbit if needed i through in some locator call to help ease the educated dogs. But Alaska coyotes are not pressured like other areas which make them really easy to call.
          "Nothing worse than a GROUSE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Tyin 1 On View Post
            But Alaska coyotes are not pressured like other areas which make them really easy to call.
            I think this is a key point if calling around populated areas. While I think this is generally true, I'm certain that the coyotes around Knik, Pt. Mac, and a few other places are more pressured than others. I've had coyotes come running in right out in the open in remote areas, but I've only actually seen one come in in more pressured areas and that one was super cautious.

I also think it's worth trying different calls in more pressured areas. It's likely they've heard hare in distress calls, but there are other ways to bring them in. Years ago I talked to a guy who was really successful who used calls from animals that don't even live in Alaska. It's the distress of the sound that piques their interest and it doesn't necessarily have to match their prey. It might be worth trying something crazy different on every third stand just to see if you strike on a golden secret.

Comment

To Brians point.... on the very edge of town in Seward once I used a cat in distress call on a hunch one eve. Had a yote out front of my RV window within minutes looking for that meal.

Comment

Lets not forget the infamous harmonica call.......lol
                Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cod View Post
                  Maybe we all too ashamed to admit what poor coyote hunters we are. Those suckers are smarter than I am. In my area they are almost exclusively nocturnal. In the last 10 yrs or so hunting them and being in the outdoors here a LOT, I finally saw one this past fall before the snow came during day light hours. One other winter I saw one in the day.
                  I would have answered all 3 questions just like the German. Why not hunt them all year? (If open like here). The limiting factor for me is when the leaves come out. Really tough hunting them critters w/o even more cover for them to sneak around in. Plus that is usually prime bear hunt time.
                  One comment I would make for chasing them this time of year... less dark (cover) for them, less available hunting time for them, more hungry/desperate coyotes are. Also March-April is mating/pupping time. Id use that advantage.
                  Calls/calling... I like rabbit calls for sure. I like magpie/raven calls thrown in. I like female invitation yote calls in spring months. But most folks will tell u I think, u just never know which call is gonna be the one. You can run through 5-6 diff calls and all of a sudden u hit a yote sound that they respond to. Never hear yotes respond vocally here in daylight hours here. You wait till just at dark tho and sometimes u can really lite them up. Forms, it seems, they are just telling me,....yeah we know/knew u were there. Were over here laughing at u.
                  I think Ive only taken 3 in all these years hunting predators. Maybe missed shots on 5-6(?). They got my respect man!
                  Heck, Ive taken 2 wolves in that time and missed another at least 3 shots on them! Missed one first time out calling last Nov. No snow. Two dogs w me. Rabbit calls 3 min. Big wolf comes bounding in the weeds from behind me. 40 feet. 2 shots. Wolf runs off. Grrrrrrr.!
                  Originally posted by Tyin 1 On View Post
                  I usually stop calling coyotes around March, and I find the best times is early morning and evenings. Thats unless there is a clear sky with a full moon and then I'd hunt all night. I find coyotes to be the easiest to call and react the quickest. Usually 10-15 mins per set and move. If your in a area with cats or wolves then longer set can pay off as they are slower to come in. If your seeing fresh sign of coyotes they will come almost all the time. Whether you see them or not, depending on your visibility. Like most critters they they try get down wind. I find up here the population is pretty low so success if much more difficult. My go to call is rabbit if needed i through in some locator call to help ease the educated dogs. But Alaska coyotes are not pressured like other areas which make them really easy to call.
                  Originally posted by Brian M View Post
                  I think this is a key point if calling around populated areas. While I think this is generally true, I'm certain that the coyotes around Knik, Pt. Mac, and a few other places are more pressured than others. I've had coyotes come running in right out in the open in remote areas, but I've only actually seen one come in in more pressured areas and that one was super cautious.

I also think it's worth trying different calls in more pressured areas. It's likely they've heard hare in distress calls, but there are other ways to bring them in. Years ago I talked to a guy who was really successful who used calls from animals that don't even live in Alaska. It's the distress of the sound that piques their interest and it doesn't necessarily have to match their prey. It might be worth trying something crazy different on every third stand just to see if you strike on a golden secret.
                  Great tips Gentleman. You've successfully restored my faith in humanity and this forum's ability to help out their fellow outdoorsman. Rep points to all if I can give em.

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
                    Lets not forget the infamous harmonica call.......lol
                    4mer, I think I'll just take your word for it.

Comment

I used to go out for the weekend with a buddy, best we ever did was 16 with maybe another 5 misses. We strictly used hand calls like the old Circe Jackrabbit for open areas or windy days or Cotton Tail which had less volume. We never used a decoy but if you are hunting where there is big stuff that will eat you I would used an electronic call with a remote and a decoy for movement that will keep their focus on it and not looking around for you but they sometimes will come in cautiously. I always used a scent wafer from Hunter Specialties.
                      We would call as soon as it was light enough to see and they are always hungry and will come to a call all day long. We used 22-250's and I also carried a 12 gauge with #4 Buck for when they come in when we hunted thicker stuff and it works well out to 35 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by PRDATR View Post
                        I used to go out for the weekend with a buddy, best we ever did was 16 with maybe another 5 misses. We strictly used hand calls like the old Circe Jackrabbit for open areas or windy days or Cotton Tail which had less volume. We never used a decoy but if you are hunting where there is big stuff that will eat you I would used an electronic call with a remote and a decoy for movement that will keep their focus on it and not looking around for you but they sometimes will come in cautiously. I always used a scent wafer from Hunter Specialties.
                        We would call as soon as it was light enough to see and they are always hungry and will come to a call all day long. We used 22-250's and I also carried a 12 gauge with #4 Buck for when they come in when we hunted thicker stuff and it works well out to 35 yards.
                        Cool, was that in Alaska?

Comment

On the Navajo Reservation.

Comment

Originally posted by PRDATR View Post
                            On the Navajo Reservation.
                            That's cool. I've always wanted to go coyote hunting somewhere with a densely populated coyote population. Have you done much coyote hunting up here in Alaska? I've done it up here a little bit. I've had decent luck calling them in, but I have horrible luck actually shooting them. And I've found that if you want to have decent success up here, you gotta be willing to drive several hours away from any towns. The closer you are to people the more difficult they are to call in.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X