Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good news, bad news, ever had this happen before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good news, bad news, ever had this happen before?

Picked up this nice kitty cat over the weekend. Actually picked up three cats on my line, but the bad news is 2 of the cats were completely eaten all the way down to their heads. The 2 that were eaten were actually taken on the same set in a double snare pen. I'm not entirely sure if they were eaten by wolves, coyotes, or other cats. The creek where I got them regularly has lynx, wolf, coyote, and fox tracks all up and down the creek and the day I got them was no different. Tracks were everywhere, but the tracks were all old. At first I thought it was wolves, but I know that cats are highly cannabalistic. And I find it hard to believe wolves would be bold enough to approach a set for food. They are usually too cautious and won't approach a set. Any guesses?

Boy I hope you find the animal doing the eating. That is really a sad waste caused by the critter doing it.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
      Boy I hope you find the animal doing the eating. That is really a sad waste caused by the critter doing it.
      Yeah, me too, better yet, I hope I trap the critter and not just find it.

Comment

Well at least you have bait for a setup to go after that critter. Maybe a setup for a wolf with snares would be my guess.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Well at least you have bait for a setup to go after that critter. Maybe a setup for a wolf with snares would be my guess.
          Already done. Got some blind snares set up for wolves already. Not as many as I would like, but I gotta make a bridge to cross a creek first. Probably this month I'll have that done. And I got some lynx cubbies set up also. But I'm gonna eat most of the edible meat off this cat. Me and my family love eating lynx. We call it Alaskan chicken/pork. You can substitute lynx for just about any type of chicken or pork recipe and it tastes just as good or better than the real thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
            Picked up this nice kitty cat over the weekend. Actually picked up three cats on my line, but the bad news is 2 of the cats were completely eaten all the way down to their heads. The 2 that were eaten were actually taken on the same set in a double snare pen. I'm not entirely sure if they were eaten by wolves, coyotes, or other cats. The creek where I got them regularly has lynx, wolf, coyote, and fox tracks all up and down the creek and the day I got them was no different. Tracks were everywhere, but the tracks were all old. At first I thought it was wolves, but I know that cats are highly cannabalistic. And I find it hard to believe wolves would be bold enough to approach a set for food. They are usually too cautious and won't approach a set. Any guesses?

Yea,,,, I got a Guess, same type of situation back in the early 90's, a buddy and I were running a Line down in SW Montana, Selway-Bitter Root Country, we kept getting robbed, Tracks in our Tracks,,,,, we thought Dam, this is killing us, so we left a Nice Big Pine Martin hanging in the Trap,,,, not very far off the ground,,,,, and set 3-Blind Sets under & around that Martin, Victor #3 Long-Spring's,,,,, well, we had him the next day,,,, it was a Big Male Fisher, so I'm thinking you might have a Wolverine following you around,,,, they sure enough got the "Balls" to do it, anyway something to think about.
            TG:topjob:
            [ USMC 1st Marine Div. 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi ] :topjob:

Comment

Wolverine is what I was thinking too, but figured he would have seen some sign of it?
              Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by The German View Post
                Yea,,,, I got a Guess, same type of situation back in the early 90's, a buddy and I were running a Line down in SW Montana, Selway-Bitter Root Country, we kept getting robbed, Tracks in our Tracks,,,,, we thought Dam, this is killing us, so we left a Nice Big Pine Martin hanging in the Trap,,,, not very far off the ground,,,,, and set 3-Blind Sets under & around that Martin, Victor #3 Long-Spring's,,,,, well, we had him the next day,,,, it was a Big Male Fisher, so I'm thinking you might have a Wolverine following you around,,,, they sure enough got the "Balls" to do it, anyway something to think about.
                TG:topjob:
                Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
                Wolverine is what I was thinking too, but figured he would have seen some sign of it?
                I wish... No wolverine tracks around and I've never seen ANY wolverine sign on my line ever. I don't believe there are that many around where I trap. I've set cubbies out for them in the past and believe me I've tried. I wish it were a wolverine though. I want a wolverine bad. Cats eat other cats. I believe that's what happened. The 2 cats were probably together and one of the heads is significantly smaller than the other. they were caught in the same set. I have a strong feeling that maybe it was a family of cats traveling together and the remaining cats ate the cats in the snares. But possibly it was wolves.

Comment

Watch this episode of trapping inc. Rich Melon explains why lynx often cannabalize other lynx caught in traps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VqPYmKzM7c

Comment

Cats are horribly cannibalistic. I quit using snares years ago because of the loss.
                    Cats caught in a trap can defend themselves. If your link population is growing you
                    can expect more loss using snares.

Comment

Originally posted by chickenminer View Post
                      Cats are horribly cannibalistic. I quit using snares years ago because of the loss.
                      Cats caught in a trap can defend themselves. If your link population is growing you
                      can expect more loss using snares.
                      Thanks for the tip. You are probably right.

Comment

Any updates Bushrat? I got to thinking the other day. We have quite a few eagles summering here. Could eagles have gotten the lynx?

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
                          Thanks for the tip. You are probably right.
                          What you described is exactly what I see when lynx numbers are up. Just a head and feet left.
                          If you are set on using snares when pop is growing, be sure to set a number of snares in the same
                          location. That way you have a chance of catching the cannibal too, before it acts.

Good luck. Frustrating to have happen but it sure does with lynx and marten.

Comment

Any updates Bushrat? I got to thinking the other day. We have quite a few eagles summering here. Could eagles have gotten the lynx?
                            Doubtful. Pretty thick terrain where it's at. Eagles would have a hard time flying in the thick brush. Why do you have such a hard time believing it was other lynx? It's a pretty common thing from what I understand. Did you watch that video up above where I posted the link?

Comment

Originally posted by chickenminer View Post
                              What you described is exactly what I see when lynx numbers are up. Just a head and feet left.
                              If you are set on using snares when pop is growing, be sure to set a number of snares in the same
                              location. That way you have a chance of catching the cannibal too, before it acts.

Good luck. Frustrating to have happen but it sure does with lynx and marten.
                              Good ideas and suggestions. I might have to set a few blind snares in the area around my lynx sets. I would like to use foot traps, but I live about 150 miles away from my line and my work schedule doesn't allow me to check it every few days. I wish I could, believe me. There is lots of opportunity for fox, coyote, and wolf where I am at as well, but it's a little bit harder to set snares for them. I would be more successful with the canines if I could set some trail sets, pee post sets, antler sets, and snow hole sets, but I can't check my line that often. I got some blind sets out right now for canines, but it's just a waiting game. I would love to get lucky enough to find a dead moose or caribou carcass somewhere and snare the heck out of it.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X