Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long can you stay out in sub zero temps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Yes mechanical equipment working properly is definitely a big factor.
    As is a person's personal cold tolerance.
    Where I work on the slope I'm one of those people wearing a fall jacket when everyone else breaks out the full-on arctic gear.
    When it gets cold enough for me to put on my arctic gear everyone else is taking warm-up breaks every hour.
    But I'll go two or three hours before I take a break.
    The coldest I have worked in was where the temperature was -98 degrees Fahrenheit.
    That was on the North Slope oilfields and the rules were we are only allowed to work 15 minutes out of every hour.
    Another big factor is the wind I can take a lot of cold but there's nobody that can take a lot of wind and cold.
    If it's cold and calm a person can do a lot more than if it's cold and windy as the wind seems to find any crack in your armor.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    Not saying that you are lying, but I've always heard and read that the coldest recorded temperature in the United States and in Alaska was 80 below up by Coldfoot. If you hit 98 below that would be a new record. I wonder why it was never recorded by a meteorologist. I wonder if 98 below was the wind chill factor and not the true temperature.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
      Not saying that you are lying, but I've always heard and read that the coldest recorded temperature in the United States and in Alaska was 80 below up by Coldfoot. If you hit 98 below that would be a new record. I wonder why it was never recorded by a meteorologist. I wonder if 98 below was the wind chill factor and not the true temperature.
      Oops my bad.
      It was -98*f with the Wind chill factor.
      Coldest ambient I have seen was -62*f.

"The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
        Oops my bad.
        It was -98*f with the Wind chill factor.
        Coldest ambient I have seen was -62*f.

Either way, that's pretty frickin cold dude. I wouldn't wanna work in those temps either.

Comment

"Yes mechanical equipment working properly is definitely a big factor.
          As is a person's personal cold tolerance."

.....and what I've found is my tolerance level (physically but probably much more mentally) is changing as I get older.

My trips to the cold are purely recreational so when I was 20+ years younger, I could deal with -40 but wouldn't depend on the PA-12 or the old arctic cat unless it was -30 or warmer. Now, if the expectation is that it will get much below -20, I'll probably just stay home.

But then I live in the Banana Belt of Los Anchorage and that guideline still allows lots of leeway.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
          Working...
          X