Muskrats with a .22?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muskrats with a .22?

When I was a teenager I know we used to take Muskrats in the Spring with .22 head shots out of a canoe. Is this still legal?

I checked the trapping regs and it didn't say anything about Muscrats with a firearm, even though there was extensive info on Beaver, Lynx, Fox, etc. with firearms.

From what I just read, as long as the trapping season is open, it appears you can still shoot them in the spring.

Comment

Sure

We do it all the time here in the Northway area. One of my kid's favorite things to do is go rat hunting. It was pretty phenomenal when I was a kid, but there don't seem to be as many rats as there was. Still loads of fun though!

Comment

Thanks guys...

I remember how much fun we had doing it when I was a kid. Now I'm going to carry on the tradition by taking my 11 year old daughter with me. Plus the hind legs were mighty tasty.

Comment

>>>>

Hmmmm....didn't know about the 20 minute time limit to edit my post.

Anyway I wanted to add that I always got a kick out of my classmates responses when I told them about frying up some rat legs...they's say "Ewww...you eat rats?" I'd say dang skippy and beaver too.

Comment

Yup, folks along the Yukon hunt them from canoes in the spring. Just make sure you have a trapping license.
            Now what ?

Comment

My grandfather started me hunting muskrat when I was 10 yr olds. The outings with him were some of the best trips I remember going on as a child. It really was his opportunity to teach me how to use a rifle and find out if I had any potential to be a good shot. Hunted them for years even up into High School, there sure used to be a lot of muskrats back then. We used 22 cal. rifles, I always borrowed my mother's Marlin autoloader, it was a pretty decent rifle for a kid.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
              Working...
              X